Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

If you could change the rules...

Post subject: Re: If you could change the rules...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

f2k wrote:
Finally been let in.

Mwahahaha... You poor fools...

Ahmmm...

Anyway... I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I do want to add one thing. Well... Two, really, but one is pretty vague so...

If I could change a rule - just a single rule - it would be to do away with the action test. No, no, no... Please hear me out before tearing my head off...

When I play, I play to have fun, to drink beer and eat chips and have a good time with my friends. And if there's one rule that gets in the way of that, it's the action test. It's a single D6, yet it can have huge repercussions, not just for this turn but for all the following turns. In particular, I remember a game where I simply could not control my Orks. Failed a horrible amount of rolls that day. Couldn't assault... Couldn't rally... Could only howl in frustration as my opponent took my army apart, bit by bit, with me being unable to do anything about it whatsoever.

Sure, that sort of stuff happens pretty rarely, but my point is: it shouldn't happen at all.

So I would like to see the rule removed entirely. Or, at the very least, only used when rallying or trying to retain the initiative. Otherwise, simply move a unit at a time, with the player having fewer non-activated units being allowed to pass, should he want to.

On more vague lines, I would like to go over the army lists to... I don't know... Spice them up a bit, I suppose...

Some army lists seems strangly... Uninspired... Underwhelming... Take chaos, for example. We know that they have titan legions at their command, so why is a Banelord the only titan they have?

Some lists then become too OP, hence the exp lists and dev lists, nothing saying as a house rule you can bring what you want but tournywise the dev lists are balanced, and from those lists you can create some op armies

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm just a Noob but one thing I would have liked to change is that the first player each turn should never be allowed to, in any way, activate more than one formation. After the first turn it feels that going first is a big advantage unless you have lots and lots of more activations. Going first generally get you to break one or two formations before the enemy can activate. Especially in turn 3 and 4.

But winning the initiative could be a tougher choice if you couldn't activate as much as the second player. Will you activate one formation first or do you need to activate more at one time to combine the effect?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IF I could change the rules ?

Well, some players in combination with some lists, tend to keep the vast majority of their forces off board for the first two turns, and then rain and thunder down with great haste and hatred in turn three, when things start to actually matter. I imagine most of us finds such a strategy fairly dull to face, and I could even suspect ,not altogether that exciting to the off board general him self, even if it might help secure a win.

Personally, when I set up a game of Epic, I prefer three to four rounds of sweet action, and not 2 turns of a practically void battlefield , and then one turn of mayhem. (Then you may as well cut turn 1 and 2 altogether)
I have seen a suggestion to tweak things in order to get a richer first and second turn by counting up points for objectives During each end phase, to give a strategic reason to play hard from turn 1. This however feels clunky to me, and I would suggest a minor tweak ( if I could change the rules) to at least have; the hell from above, feel a bit more urgency. I would suggest, that the time for when an objective counts as captured is moved to the START of a turn(before the strategy roll), rather than in the end phase. You still do the count up in the end phase as usual, but if you arrived at the objective in turn 2, only will it actually be captured at the beginning of turn 3. In order to contest an objective , the rules would remain as they are. So let’s look at an example.

The enemy blitz is unguarded, and a formation sweeps up in turn 2 and quickly forms a zone of control around it. In the beginning of turn three, before the strategy roll, the objective is ruled captured.

In effect , this would mean , that falling down on objectives in turn 3 , will do nothing but contest objectives that are already captured. Uncapped objectives would remain so until the beginning of turn 4.

The only thing that you might need to keep this simple enough to keep track of, is some kind of captured marker. At the start of the turn you place the cap markers on all captured objectives, and if they remain uncontested in the end phase you count them towards your winning conditions.

That’s my “if I could change the rules” thing.

I suppose it could be a viewed as a new phase the “Cap phase” that takes place in the beginning of every turn, either before teleport And strategy roll, OR to keep a little bit of the turn 3 bonanza alive, AFTER teleports but before strat roll. Making it possible to teleport in and cap in the same turn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would like artillery to be able to scatter. Less if it is a direct shot at an enemy, but more if indirect. Spotters, and artillery, generally need to zone onto the target, using spotting rounds before you call in "fire for effect" By this time, enemy counter artillery fire can be directed at your own artillery - if the enemy has any.

Use the scatter die and 1D6 for direct fire, and 2 D6 for indirect. The remaining blast templates can them be placed as the player using the artillery requires for maximum effect.

Too many armies have lots of long range indirect artillery, supported by massed tanks, troops, and some elites to counter assault. Guard, Eldar, Tau, Mechanicus Skitarii, Squats and even to a small extent Space Marines. Armies like Dark Eldar, Necrons, Orks, AMTL, Knights, Chaos, and Nids seem to suffer from lack of indirect or decent artillery. I know each army tends to have its benefits, and weaknesses, but armies need to avoid being boxed into one or 2 roles or tactics. This gives even a novice player to experiment with tactics, and have a fun game.

Also on a side note, a group of gamers I game against on a monthly basis at the Padstow RSL club in Sydney NSW - (Company of Dice) have proposed using scenarios and random options to each game before you setup objectives, and choose either corners or long edge.

These randomly rolled scenarios would include - Night Fighting, Toxic Atmosphere/acid rain, snow/ice, Deathworld - Random chance of dangerous terrain for infantry in buildings, ruins and woods when you move into an a piece f terrain, and other randomly rolled options. It would make the game more interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That sounds interesting - the modern editions of 40k / AoS do a similar thing I think where there are 6 deployment areas and you roll a D6 to see which way to set up.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would like to change the Allies system.
Why repeat thunderbolt stats in (almost) all Imperial lists? Why not allow marine support in a Steel legion list? Why only generic Titans in a Space Marine Force.

I would suggest that any core formation (from an allied list) should be allowed to be in the 1/3 allies part. I'm confident this wouldn't be overpowered as most core formations are fairly basic. This would also make some listwriting easier as some formations could be moved from support to Allies (I'm thinking why have cult marines in the Black legion list, buy them as allies from the corresponding cult legion list).

I'm aware this isn't practical due to the amount af list changes needed. Also some Aircraft lists would be needed (that isn't a negative thing though). For instance I'm thinking of creating an Imperial Navy list. All core formations are aircraft squadrons. And all supports are base defense, search and rescue :spin . Ergo a real challange to win with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Shoel wrote:
Why repeat thunderbolt stats in (almost) all Imperial lists? Why not allow marine support in a Steel legion list? Why only generic Titans in a Space Marine Force.

To paraphrase the EA rules, the army lists are there for tournaments. Outside of a tournament, you can take whatever combination of units that you and your opponent think reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

f2k wrote:
If I could change a rule - just a single rule - it would be to do away with the action test.

Yeah, this is pretty annoying IMO. I understand what the action test is trying to represent, but when I want to march my Eldar Guardians into battle on turn one from the table edge, and they refuse, I have to take a deep breath... The rule could be modified so that action tests are only taken if a formation has blast markers, or a certain number of blast markers.

AT has action tests, but they are presented slightly differently (better). Default mode is no action test (you're automatically able to move and shoot), but if you want to do something special e.g. split fire, you take the test. Functionally it's very similar, but somehow much less annoying.

Another thing I'd change is split fire for WE. It's been raised by others, so nothing new. If a player sinks 800 points into a single unit I believe it should be dangerous, not just a bullet magnet or something to sit on an objective (or two). My proposed solution would be to allow split fire for WE above a certain size, and simply apply -1 hit modifying for *each* additional unit it targets. So, if it targets 3 units, the 3rd unit would include a -2 hit modifier + any other modifiers.

And yes, house rules can be whatever both players agree on, but it would be much better if there was a community approved EA v2 rule set.

Online solutions:
http://cloudlevel.me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IJW Wartrader wrote:
Shoel wrote:

To paraphrase the EA rules, the army lists are there for tournaments. Outside of a tournament, you can take whatever combination of units that you and your opponent think reasonable.

they're also not a formal "allies" system but just another grouping (generally restricted) of units. The title "allies" doesn't mean anything beyond fluff/flavor title. They're not stuff from another list. Many lists don't have anything like this or even just call it 'restricted' for example.

And as IJW aptly put: you can already do exactly that with agreement from your opponent anyways.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Allies can make a really interesting variation to the game, but sadly their presence can (and often will) unbalance a list.

The Harlequin list is an attempt to provide just such a list that uses allies. The intention behind this particular list was to encourage the use of other Eldar lists as an ally or even as the main army with a Harlequin ally.

However it has proved hard to balance the Harlequin list both because of the innate power of the Harlequin units, but also because combining lists tend to nullify any weaknesses deliberately built into either list. Building and testing such combinations is more complex because of the increased number of possible variations. In the case of the Harlequins, this has literally taken over 10 years, and while the list just about works now, it still needs more testing.

The existing lists are generally balanced, so IMO adopting this idea would probably require new versions of existing lists for example Imperial Guard with Marine allies, different alliances of Orks, different alliances of Chaos lists etc. and by definition they would probably not get further than experimental or ‘fun’ lists.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally when it comes to allies, would like to see say a steel legion with access a Ulani or Minervan tanks, every option of SH available to a Guard formation.

Same can be said of support formations of the guard, a veritable pick and mix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kinda wish someone would do a 'kitchen sink' list for the Guard like I did for the Marines. Kinda everything reasonable possible for use with a sensible organization for friendly play.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post subject: If you could change the rules...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Kinda wish someone would do a 'kitchen sink' list for the Guard like I did for the Marines. Kinda everything reasonable possible for use with a sensible organization for friendly play.

It seems such a thing wouldn’t be too hard to achieve :9 It seems like such a list would be really handy for every faction (I must admit that I like them as both a good reference and as a good tool for more flexible—if less balanced—games).

I did experience some enthusiastic interest in the Marine one a little while ago and trawled over the fora reading about it, but I’ve sadly not had time since!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Updating the rules with all the faq/clarifications... :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I could be wrong but the FAQ is already embedded and annotating the rules (on the TP copy), no?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next