Login |  Register |  FAQ

Who gets hit? (Its the guy in the red uniform next to spock

Post subject: Who gets hit? (Its the guy in the red uniform next to spock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Guys,

A quick one for your thoughts and playing styles.
Its rare for us to play huge linfantry lists where you actually care about which guy dies, and normally its pretty straight forward (allocate hits, roll saves) so not much debate.
But what to people do in rare instances, such as Gorgons taking a crit?
E.g you have a commisar and a commander in a gorgon with a load of bog standard infantry (Star Trek extras...) and you suffer a crit killing 2 stands. How do you decide who gets it in the throat?

In Warhammer (played twice..) i recall that it was assumed that some brave sole stood in front of the boss and took one for the team. I guess this would be interpreted in epic as the player taking the hits decides.
This pretty much makes sence as it matches a situation like a CC assault, where the player chooses who is in front.

I have though, had a few games with that gentleman of sportsmen, john cole, where we have plucked out the D12 and given everyone a number.
This of course is great fun, but doesnt make for a fast game.

What do people normally do? Home / tournaments?

(Also does anyone remember the Caniggia red card at the 2002 world cup? :) )

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Who gets hit? (Its the guy in the red uniform next to s
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They are all equally close so honestly I think the only fair way to do it is to always choose the non-characters, i.e. defending player chooses. I say that meaning: to expect anything else just puts them in an unfair position. Great if you want to agre something else with an opponent you know well, but I would fully expect anyone else to just remove some grotz/guardsmen*.

* not even the ones with the heavy weapons modelled on - you know, the ones who get to share a gun one between two like the The Enemy at the Gates.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:53 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

In the case of standard shooting/artillery I would roll separately for hits. However in the case of transported troops in a WE or something similar I would just take the 'Red Shirts' off first as we all know they are the ones standing next to the power conduit and not in the hardened control room.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

when a random number of kills occur in a situation as you described we usually follow what has been done with other transport WEs.
Plague Tower as an example,
Quote:
Critical Effect: Internal explosions cause an extra point of damage and kill D3 selected passengers (no saves allowed). The player may choose which units are killed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dptdexys wrote:
when a random number of kills occur in a situation as you described we usually follow what has been done with other transport WEs.
Quote:
Critical Effect: Internal explosions cause an extra point of damage and kill D3 selected passengers (no saves allowed). The player may choose which units are killed
Erm, which player?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
dptdexys wrote:
Quote:
Erm, which player?

If your following the rules then defender normally allocates hits (unless rules specify otherwise) to there own formation, nearest to farthest, in the case described above they would all be equal distance so all would be viable targets.
Random selection would probably be fairer but is slightly time consuming when you have 20 troops to randomise numbers for and then roll for.

sent from my Lenovo110s using Tapafingers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dptdexys wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
dptdexys wrote:
Quote:
Erm, which player?

If your following the rules then defender normally allocates hits (unless rules specify otherwise) to there own formation, nearest to farthest, in the case described above they would all be equal distance so all would be viable targets.
Random selection would probably be fairer but is slightly time consuming when you have 20 troops to randomise numbers for and then roll for.

sent from my Lenovo110s using Tapafingers

Yeah I agree it's just the plague tower rule doesn't say. I know it's the default but allocating to nearest is the default anyway and "the player" in the context of rolling crits is the attacking player. It'd be a minor tweak, I've submitted a pull request to the TP for the plague tower and Gorgon crit wording.