Login |  Register |  FAQ

Webways

Post subject: Webways
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:10 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

cheaky and probably bending the rules

ive also probably only read the parts i wana read and not looked into it enough, but webway portals and commander ability. commander ability says you count as 1 formation for all rule purposes during the assault. does this mean u can bring more then 1 formation out of the gate at one time? or is this just a "pipe down norto your trying to be to cheaky" or "pipe down norto read this part of the rules"

Edit: another question

how is it generally played for blocking webways or surrounding webways. im guessing they have to assault what ever is there when they come out. but what if you cant actually come out or theres not enough room to fit the whole formation? (idea: maybe allowed to make a barging assault?)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Webways
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For the first question, the Commander ability specifies that the formations need to be within 5cm. When off-table, formations won't meet those criteria, and thus won't be able to use or benefit from the Commander ability.

For the second question part one, from the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
Q: Can a formation enter play via a Webway Portal that is covered by, or is in the zone of control of, enemy units?
A: Yes, but the formation using it to enter play would have to carry out an engage action.

Q: What happens when a formation in reserve fails its action test and needs to enter play via a Webway Portal that is covered by, or is in the zone of control of, enemy units?
A: It takes a Blast marker, and may not take a hold action. It effectively looses its activation.

And if you can only place some of the units, my guess is that this rule should then apply:

1.7.4 Formations wrote:
Any units that are out of formation for any reason after a formation has taken the movement part of its action are destroyed. The controlling player may choose which units are out of formation and destroyed. Note that each unit lost will place one Blast marker on the main part of the formation. This applies after each individual move, so if a formation made a march action, you can’t wait until the end of all three moves in order to bring units back into formation—any out of formation units are destroyed at the end of the first move (and again at the end of the second and third moves if any other units have also ended up out of formation following the move).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:45 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

yeah sweet on the commander ability was being cheaky.

but the gate and blocking it sounds a little dumb. how does darkies go in the uk tournaments. many people just sticking landing crafts ontop of it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some food for thought... ;D

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10897

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27624&p=525468

Not against change, so long as it done fairly and no one is left behind....

I'm human and not a !@#$%^# Robot..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:06 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

cheers greg, the vote was pretty tight. did anything ever come of it but?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have never had this happen to me, from memory...…but I tend to play with more Storm serpents, if I got the points and I do have a wraith gate then, I’m pretty sure I do everything in my power to stop you from achieving it.... ;D

So if I have a gate on the table, then I used option 2 … “The presence of enemy units should be able to hinder/limit use, but not fully block”…..So yeah, you must engage that enemy if there ZOC covers the wraith gate and if you don’t have enough space on the table for units, then rule 1.7.4 comes into effect. The 1.7.4 bit is just seam logical step to me (game flow)…

I gather there will be those out who don't agree with the above, that's fine, everyone will interpret it differently .. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks greg, you kinda want you gate as the tnh objectives for reach which the opponent sets up. A warlord could be on it at the start of turn 2 and block you coming through. Doubt youd kick him off. Im guess it just forces you to be safe and make it your blitz.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to note, i gather in Epic UK at least webway portals will be able to be blocked going forward. So if a stand completely covers it nothing's getting out and must be knocked off before a unit inside can get out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Norto wrote:
Thanks greg, you kinda want you gate as the tnh objectives for reach which the opponent sets up. A warlord could be on it at the start of turn 2 and block you coming through. Doubt youd kick him off. Im guess it just forces you to be safe and make it your blitz.

No problem... terrain will also effect where you will place the gate...My group learned quickly to place objective markers in terrain, that force DTT or was impassable... :)

RichardL wrote:
Just to note, i gather in Epic UK at least webway portals will be able to be blocked going forward. So if a stand completely covers it nothing's getting out and must be knocked off before a unit inside can get out.

Cool.. looking forward on how that pans out in the tournament scene, over there...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:04 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

totally great tactic, i used it on jim in all his testing games. Limits the reach :D