Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic Space Marine titan rules with Epic Armageddon

Post subject: Epic Space Marine titan rules with Epic Armageddon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi folks - after a bit of advice and greatful for people's thoughts!

I love the EA system but one area I preferred Epic Space Marine rules was the hit allocation charts and damage tables for Titans and Gargants, rather than the 'HP bar' of damage capacity. Has anyone tried transposing those rules into EA and knows how much of an impact they have on how the game plays?

I assume it would slow things down a little having to roll the hit chart and then separate saves - also probably make things a bit more variable statistically (titans could go down with 1 hit or weather a dozen). But, memories of Reavers with no arms trying to run around and step on things makes me want to give it a go :)

Im not massively worried about balance as this wont be for tournament games, but any other thoughts on this kind of hybrid system greatly appreciated!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Epic Space Marine titan rules with Epic Armageddon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not exactly what you want in terms of rules, but has a similar end result: Vaaish worked on a system for AMTL where some weapons could stop working as the Titan got more damaged.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33667&start=15

Check the posts from page 2 onwards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There have been quite a few ideas over the years about making EA war engines function more interestingly!

The easiest thing to represent the hit locations would be to change the way critical hits work, I think—you could make criticals happen on a 5+ and modify the table to have weapon damage options. As discussed elsewhere, people have tested various variations on that, but it seems like that would be a fairly fast method.

I always liked the idea of WE damage acting a bit like permanent blast markers, along with treating WE as formations (where each weapon system, for example, is a separate unit in the formation). E.g. a Warhound as a formation of two weapon arms and a body—and each point of damage suppresses a unit (so 1 HP damage = 1 suppressed weapon).

Ultimately, though, I think the EA system as is is generally poor at representing multi-hit units with multiple large weapons, and although it can be patched (e.g. the current titan list) it needs an overhaul to be satisfyingly fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks - yes I know what you mean.

I always thought it interesting that for a game that had so many more granular rules (EA vs. Space Marine/NetEpic) they would become more abstract when dealing with arguably the most interesting miniature pieces and often focal point of the game. And IMO an HP bar (which in effect the DC is) is far less interesting than having the War Engine fight on despite dozens of hits or a single lucky hit nuking the titan and everything near it!

I will have a test game and give some feedback, see if it slows down the game too much :)

As a final question, does anyone know how the scatter worked with shots hitting the WE? I have read just use a scatter dice in NetEpic Gold but seem to have distant memories of dice saying "up", "left" "down" etc. (or have I just made that up?! :) )