Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tau jetpacks

Post subject: Tau jetpacks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Little query in a game i had with a new local player. Its been posted on FB, but he doesn’t have an account here yet :

“Something which came up in a game recently- Tau jet packs and withdrawals.
If a unit is broken by shooting from a unit with Tau jet packs, what happens first- withdrawal, or the extra move given by Tau Jet packs?

At the time we just diced off to move the game along, but it'd be nice to get some clarification.”

He was hopping i would withdraw from cover so his crisis could take it, till i pointed out unless i got all my units effectively 25cm from his he could potentially follow up ad destroy them all automatically.

Thanks in advance.

Sent using Tapatalk

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tau jetpacks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would say that you fall back as soon as the shooting is resolved; After the fall-back move he has to be 15cm away from enemy units or be destroyed.

The Tau jetpack move comes later, and can bring the jetpack units within 15cm of the broken formation without destroying it (though I expect they would be distinctly uncomfortable...)

I would apply the same principle as for the Eldar hit-and-run, where the shooting can happen before the move. Eldar can't break a unit with shooting and then kill them by moving in proximity afterwards either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:54 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote:
Unless the rules state specifically otherwise, a broken formation may choose to make a withdrawal immediately after the action that caused it to break has been resolved

Tau Technology

Quote:
... units with Tau jet packs are allowed to make an additional move of 10cm at the end of an advance, double or march order

Tau finish shooting and then move 10cm at the end of their activation. Activation ends (is resolved), broken formations withdraw.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agreed Dave, and the same applies to Eldar doubling and shooting at something in the middle of its movement, if that target becomes broken.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Huh. I stand corrected, then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And for completeness, infantry formations broken by Eldar skimmers, which make two withdrawal moves totalling 30cm, are not destroyed by the Eldar consolidation move (35cm) if that brings the Eldar within 15cm of the broken units, even though the consolidation move ends the Eldar activation.

Note, The definition of the end of the activation is important as it is the point where "popped up" formations land. This means that "popped up" units may assault an enemy in difficult terrain, only needing to take a DT test if they land in dangerous terrain after the assault has been resolved (including their consolidation or withdrawal moves).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes, 1.13.3 covers this with its "Unless the rules state specifically otherwise..." and 1.12.8 says it's an immediate withdrawal.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great thanks guys.

Must admit we had read the same sections but had come to the same conclusion as StM - that an "action" formed part of an "activation" - ie. move-action+shoot action = advance activation/order. Rereading the very beginning of the rule book again i see that the rules never seem to use the word "activation" in the sense which it is generally referred to on the forums, but instead only seems refer to units taking "Actions". You do indeed learn...