Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tunnellers

Post subject: Tunnellers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have just been given x2 Moles and x3 Termites and I want to use them in my guard army(I use the Steel legion list) the rulebook simply states to count them as Chimera's which is fine, however im a little confused as to Points cost, Chimeras are 25pts each, so would my 5 tunnellers cost 125pts or would I pay more as per the actual transport capacity eg the 5 aforementioned tunnellers have a transport capacity of 14 units or in effect 7 Chimeras which would cost 175pts, I think the latter is fairer but wanted the opinion of those with more experience?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tunnellers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you are using them as "counts as" Cimeras then they will have the exact same stats as Chimeras incuding transport capacity, speed, armour, weapons and so on.
You would not use any of the tunnellers own stats. It would be as if you were using 5 chimeras, thats why it is called "counts as" .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah they're just Chimeras. Now, if you want tunnelers that act as tunnelers you've got a few options:

1. Play DKoK which have a tunneler
2. Play your guard but under the squat lists / rules which isn't that far off being Guard in playstyle. (Basically count-as your entire army)
3. With your opponent permission and agreement on costs and other restrictions, take units from those lists and drop them into Steel Legion and have some fun.

The lists are strict for tournament play and just a starting point when playing friendly games. There's no such thing as "bad-fun" in this game :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hold on a minute! in the rulebook they have different stats, and rules but only count as Chimeras for force choice purposes, much as you can take guard bikes and whilst they count as a rough rider choice, they don't have the same stats as rough riders, otherwise what would be the point of the stat lines?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:39 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

What rule book are you using?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the actual GW printed EA rulebook with the "counts as" lists at the back

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Northern Monkey wrote:
Hold on a minute! in the rulebook they have different stats, and rules but only count as Chimeras for force choice purposes, much as you can take guard bikes and whilst they count as a rough rider choice, they don't have the same stats as rough riders, otherwise what would be the point of the stat lines?

Firstly, you can use whatever models or stats you like for your games, in fact you are encouraged by the author to do so.
Secondly, the army lists in the rulebook are desined for use with the GT scenario or for pick up games between non-regular opponents to give a balanced game.
The "counts as" rule is there to allow players to use out of production models in the army lists and to keep those lists balanced whilst doing so.
from the rulebook "counts as" section
Quote:
Finally, if you decide that any unit in your army ‘counts as’ something else, then all of that type of unit in your army must count as the same thing. For example, if you decided that your old Squigoth model was a Battlewagon, then all the Squigoths in your army would have to be Battlewagons

Again, there is nothing wrong with players using different units/formations in lists as long as opponents agree. You just have to work out how will those units affect the balance of the list and cost them appropriately.

I'd say the tunneller rule in the Steel Leion list would be a boost to the lists abilities and balance so would recommend costing the replacements at around 250 points if I was the opponent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The stats in the EA and Swordwind books for the collector's range give a starting point if you want to use them as the actual model. The count-as column is there to provide a suggestion as to what unit closest to a GW one (at that time) that it could be used as instead. It's a pick one, not both deal generally, though it's your game and there's no bad-fun preventing hobby police going to come take your models away

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We discussed Tunnellers here a bit too viewtopic.php?f=158&t=31509&p=612993#p612993 ... may be of some interest ? 8)

IMO the E:A rules do have some good "use as"/proxies list. Which is good with all the iterations on Epic models, 4 or so at last count AFAIK. Plus in spite of GW's "use as" lists, there is A LOT of good new 6mm Sci-fi available out there today (!) ... ;D

But bottom line always "do what works for U ..." ;)

E.g. I made these "proxy" models for Thunderhawks ... ID'd as ThunderDUKWs or StormDUKWs ... ;)

Attachments:
STORMDUKW.jpg
STORMDUKW.jpg [ 2.51 KiB | Viewed 2862 times ]