Login |  Register |  FAQ

Planetfall questions

Post subject: Re: Planetfall questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

StevekCole wrote:

Don't think it can pick up the same formation as you can't normally re-enter an aircraft after assaulting from them. That would be very powerful, especially with eldar.

but this is the formation engaging after planetfall rather than the aircraft as in an air assault

I'm not so sure the aircraft can collect units within 5cm as 4.2.5 states that embarking/disembarking happens as the aircraft lands

Quote:
Landing: Aircraft with a transport capability can land after making their approach move and having being fired upon by any enemy flak. If the aircraft lands in dangerous terrain it must take a dangerous terrain test. After the aircraft has landed, any units being transported may disembark and are placed within 5cms of the transport aircraft (skimmers and units with jump packs can be placed within 15cms, to represent them dropping from the aircraft as it comes in to land). Alternatively, the aircraft may pick up any friendly units within 5cms, assuming they will fit on board of course. After embarking or disembarking any units, the aircraft may carry out its ground attack.

my interpretation would be that you could move units into BTB to embark them as explained in 3.1.3

Quote:
For a formation to mount up in this way the units that are getting on board must be able to move into base contact with the war engine during their action.

The aircraft could then take an action and would disengage as normal in the end phase

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:53 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

yeah i tried to write a list with eldar to do this, thinking it was just the 5cm but touching wouldnt be much harder.

its just it can only really work with eldar. but then you have to take a dragon ship and thenkeep the aircraft alive on the ground. so it isnt really that great.

i was trying to get warp spiders to work with it. but youd have to wait late in the turn and get drops right because you only get the 15cm consolidate rule. but sipders planet falling do get some good range.

15 +/-12 from scatter from plotted point, 15cm disembark then 45cm engage bubble. Also you can point the aircraft in a position to get off your side safely.

triple retain would be sick. but you then have 300 points for ship say 400 for 2 raiders and then the aspects.

I trialed it a little bit but you kinda wana come in early and wreck face with the triple template. but then your open to get smacked.

If you can make a list work i would love to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That makes sense. The other option is to go full Rug with Dark Eldar/Tau and planetfall an executioner/Manta rammed full of guys who basically make a single massive engage or double action per turn deleting all key targets and then hiding back in the executioner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:58 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

they will be separate once you unload unless you stay loaded and assault from it. seams a waste. if you can come up with something to get the vampire raiders or any other armies working let us know. Ive been tinkering on it for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Norto wrote:

...but sipders planet falling do get some good range.

15 +/-12 from scatter from plotted point, 15cm disembark then 45cm engage bubble. Also you can point the aircraft in a position to get off your side safely.

You can't do the 15cm disembark with jump packs if you planetfall the vampire (15cm is only when you ground attack)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Still, 45cm as they have inflitrate, the problem for spiders is infiltrate won't get them back into the aircraft if they're more than 15cm away. However, swooping hawks or DE scourges could project a very tasty 50cm threat range and bounce back into the transport (if you want to do that).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

ahh damn haha i thought it would have been 15. Ive never seen this done just been trying to think out of the box a bit. Seams like a cool idea if someone can get it to work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A planetfalling transport WE could only embark troops if those troops move into base contact during their own action (so consolidate works). Bear in mind though that consolidating back into the air transport would cause it to lose its own activation (WE transport rules) if it has not already taken one. Would also need to check the FAQs as embarking into a landed transport would normally prevent it from disengaging too. Certainly for ground attacks you cannot disembark+embark in the same turn AND disengage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup, to expand on Kyrt's answer, and reply to the various points raised, Planetfalling is merely a mechanism for placing formations on the table. Since it was the Spacecraft that activated, all the disembarked formations can activate later in the turn (including the air-transport which is treated as a ground unit with '0'cm move.)***

As others say, Consolidation back into the air-transport after an assault is deemed to replace the disengage move, preventing the transport from leaving. This is true irrespective of how the assault was initiated.

However, formations may use other movements to get into the transport prior to it disengaging including Single or Double (allowing Eldar to shoot and embark) and also Withdrawal (after losing an assault). BUT, This has to happen after the transport has activated, OR the transport loses its activation! (See WE embarkation)

That said, the limited range of Eldar infantry weapons combined with the random nature of Planetfalling make this a very uncertain way of shooting any enemy formation, so not something to be relied on though a useful tactic if the opportunity arises.

Also Note,
A broken formation that withdraws into a transport may not voluntarily take part in a subsequent assault until they rally.

*** Self-Planetfalling is slightly different as the Transport is activating to arrive on the table so it does not get a later activation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Glad i put this thought up as i was foing a lot wrong, i run through games on vassal by myself (loner i know) but its good to just go through stuff working. The only one was really the eldar. But the raider on the ground is easly taken off so it would have to be late in the turn.

I was working on double warp spiders and raiders but i was allowing the 15cm disembark. It would be a decent alpha stike turn 1 but you really need to clear the scout screens with the bombardment and tag some formations for a blast and hope nothings overwatch. It wasnt sustainable really. Theres not many points left for the rest of the army.

How about termies in hawks planetfalling late turn staying base contact with the hawk sustaining then activating the hawk to pick them up and fly off your board edge turn 1? Probably not worth it but i do love doing the unexpected and putting a spanner in the works of someones game plan.