Login |  Register |  FAQ

Vassal Tournament

Post subject: Vassal Tournament
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

So i was talking to Mic Fair last night and he put it to me i should organise a vassal tourny. I thought nahhh but after thinking it out, it would benefit devolopment lists if we can get battle reports done for each game. Kinda easy since you can run a log that saves every move while playing.

Ive only just starting thinking about this so if people would be keen and have some ideas please post them up.

My thoughts were development lists. run it over 6 weeks. Every sunday i can do up a draw (would have to get one of those programs to do this) with contact details and you have to contact your opponent and you have until the next sunday night to get a game in. If you fail to have a game both players get a 0 for that round.

So the positives we would get out of this is building bridges to all the communitys involved and get alot of battle reports done and data from a larger community. We might also create great friendships over the world.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Vassal Tournament
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It sounds like fun! I'd be happy to be involved.

Having played in Vassal Tournaments several times (ok fine, several dozen times :D ), please be aware that time zones will definitely be a big factor. Depending on the amount of sign ups, you might find it best to break people into groups based on their locations, eg Euro zone, US zone, Australia/Pacific.
It shouldn't be hard to get a few people signed up for the Aussie zone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also if the games are to have a secondary purpose for battle reports, any developmental lists would need to play against approved ones, so it would make sense for both to be allowed.

Good luck organising it, and let me know if you need any help!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yeah definately approved and development. My intension is to do it mainly just for the community. Try and do something to help tick along the system and get some good battle reports from different playing groups for development lists.

I know its a long shot but if there was 20 players. With hopefully half/half approved to development lists. And people were happy to be paired to try and get approved - development lists games close to the scores we could get alot done. I know we probably wouldnt get 10 development - approved battle reports done, but if we got average 7 each round x 5 or 6 games, thats 35 to 42 battle reports.

Id be happy to go through and write them up as long as people could type in each activation and send the log file to me.

Anyway, Hope we get some interest and we can get a ball rolling. Just want to point out my intension isnt to get a Vassal champ, its to help get some things done for the community.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good idea :) I'm super bust these days but potentially interested. Perhaps you could run a Minigeddon (smaller 1,000 point version of epic with modified rules) tournament first though? This one open to any Net-EA approved or Epic-UK list only.

I think the idea of a wider, regular tournament to test developmental lists in time is a good, but it would be better to test the waters with something safer and easier to get into first. A game on Vassal is slower than a game in real life and takes getting used to so better to get used to the system of gaming online with smaller sizes and lists that are known to be balanced first. People (myself included) are more likely to make time for something easier to get into and play at first and hopefully you could get people trying it who haven't used Vassal before.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

GlynG

Great idea. It would help some people to get use to using vassal that haven’t used it before and that are interested. I’m not really keen on minigeddon but it does sound like a great starter.

Would be keen to hear from others with interest on doing this. I done a small write up on using vassal. My writing skills are not the greatest so it reads like a 12 year old wrote it. I just don’t want to flood a thread with that stuff. If there was enough interest id be keen if someone could make a separate thread to keep it easy to navigate. Need the interest first. Thanks for the input.

I know keeping it small is a lot easier but I’d be happy to sit down and do the organising each week. Time zones would make it a lot easier but I’d really like to see different countries play each other. I was also thinking make it a 6 game tourney best out of 5 games at the end so if people miss one they wouldn’t be penalised.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm probably not alone in being totally unable to commit to something like this.

If you can find a way to get games in between Europe and Australian timezones that's great, it might be a tall order to be able to do it for several people every week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe a league would be a better model than a tournament? Get however many people are interested to play each other over the period of 2-3 months, with everyone allowed to play each other once, and rank the players with the most wins / points at the end.

Weekends might be a good time to get games in with people of different time zones. Sometimes one person might play in the evening while to the other player it's early morning or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:57 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I thought that with the time zones on week ends, dosnt seam to be much interest so this will probably just fizzle out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:02 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'd really like to see this happen, but with my record on playing games on vassal it just wouldn't happen.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think my availability times would match normal Oz availability, unless someone in Oz fancied playing against me at odd times of the day.

Can Vassal do "play by email"?

Games would take weeks, but timezone wouldn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You "sorta" can via shipping vsav files back and forth.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!