Login |  Register |  FAQ

What rules set do Americans use?

Post subject: What rules set do Americans use?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I've heard that the people in the UK use their rule set, and the people in Australia use their rule set, so I'm curious...What rule set is used in the United States of America, and why was that rule set chosen over any other ones? :sos

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: What rules set do Americans use?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:42 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well... at the risk of sounding bland... I just use the normal rules :) That's the EA rulebook, Swordwind, the Errata, and FAQ.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Half right - everyone uses the same Epic Armageddon rules, the UK tournament players have a different set of army lists they use at their tournaments

Australia uses the same rules, but have a different interpretation / convention on line of sight than most of the rest of rest of the world (more true line of sight of the actual models rather than abstracting area terrain). It's only a minor difference in the game (I've played both in the UK and Oz).

See here for the tournament pack (rules combined with the current internationally arrived and balanced lists) - http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought I read somewhere that the UK had some sort of rule about Teleport as well. Is that in the main rules?

Also, because there are two sets of army lists, which ones do Americans use? And why did they choose that set of army lists instead of the others?

The reason I ask all of this is because I've checked in my area for players and there are none. The closest players are at least a three hour drive from my house one way. I've tried drumming up interest in the local game stores but all they do around here is play Magic the Gathering. There isn't even any 40k or Age of Sigmar being played. So no one has shown any interest at all in miniature gaming. I've decided that I'm going to move out of this area and hopefully into a more game friendly one. But I didn't want to come into a new area having played the wrong set of rules or army lists.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thats some serious dedication to wargames! Hats off to you sir!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I hear that on the ISS they come under the moon's jurisdiction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nah, just one set of rules worldwide. Teleport is standard and a simple mechanism.

This might warrant a bit of a longer explanation... The international 'Net-EA' lists that I linked to came about first, rebalancing the lists in the printed GW rulebook and expanding the range of available lists. They've been developed by open playtesting with players across the world testing and reporting results online to be discussed. Some years after that, though now close to a decade ago, tournament players in the UK became frustrated with online development, slow progress, ect and started their own alternative set of 'Epic-UK' lists for use at UK tournaments - these were developed by a smaller set of regulars in closed development. There are pluses and minuses to either approach but both list systems are now mature and fine to use.

To give a comparison overview the international 'Net-EA' lists generally (though this isn't always the case) tend to be a little more faithful to the detail of 40k background with a slightly wider range of units and more of the newer introduced units. The 'Epic-UK' lists tend to be a little more restricted and focused for tournament play. Epic-UK lists were generally developed by taking the existing Net-EA list as a starting point and I'd say on average a list from either system will overall play 90% the same (tyranids, titan legions and knights are probably the only 3 that are a bit more different and both systems use the exact same Tau list). Some people stick solely to one system or the other but many are involved in playing with or developing both at times. The overall power level of a list from either system should be similar and it's fine to play a list from one system against the other. As a UK player I use Epic-UK lists at tournaments around the country and vary between fielding my army from the two in friendly games.

Since the Net-EA lists are generally played internationally and used in the tournaments in America I'd suggest they'd be better for you and your friends to get into. Though if you have a go at playing epic online sometime using the Vassal engine and happen to come up against an opponent using a Epic-UK list don't be put off by that, a quick explanation of the differences at the start sorts it out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Mordoten: Lol, Epic was the first wargame I ever played. I started back in 1995 and have been a fanatic about it ever since. I've collected so many miniatures over the years that I can field almost anything for Epic. Gaming to me is a lifestyle so I'm more than willing to move somewhere that has better gaming going on. I would move to the UK if I could, but that has always been a bit out of my reach.

@ Evil and Chaos: umm...ok :eh

@ GlynG: Ahh, thank you for explaining all of that. It certainly makes things more clear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:07 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

We play the NetEA lists in thr northeast US. If you're open to moving to central CT/MA :D we have an active group, 24 players at the last tournament.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, that sounds awesome! Don't you guys also play Man o War over there? I've got quite a bit of that too. Oh, and lots of Battlefleet Gothic :o

My older brother lives in Wilkes Barre, PA so that may be a possibility ;D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:54 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

We do, that and Warmaster, Necromunda and other SG games.

Wilkes Barre looks to be within a few hours of Allentown (Moscovian) and Gunslinger007 (nothern NJ).

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Roadkill Zombie wrote:
@ Evil and Chaos: umm...ok :eh

Uhhh... April Fool's? :p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah there's really not any difference with rule playing around the world (Epic-FR notwithstanding which as my understanding was they've got some tweaks). There's convention in various places about those parts of the rules where it was left open to DWWFY by design but overall it's minor and easily discussed and agreed upon. For instance Onyx has played, obviously in AU and has been on a plane and played with Dave and crew in the NE US without missing a beat.

The fan world has mainly focused on the production of various lists with particular themes that we the players can pickup, play with, and alter to fit our preferences, just as JJ envisioned when he wrote the game.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All I know is...."It's gonna be GREAT!"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

'Uge! The best.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!