Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Australian House Rules: a complete guide

Post subject: Re: Australian House Rules: a complete guide
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:
How about an Eldar tank like a Scorpionm
What if it pops up, how is that played?

Pop ups are played as per the rulebook.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Terrain is not usually placed within 15cm of any table edge,

I go to less tournaments than you Gavin, but I've never noticed this, I've always found terrain to start in for my horde armies. Maybe I've been lucky on the tables I've drawn?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

danielcollins wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

Would a Scorpion generally be allowed to see over the low ruins and between the gaps in buildings on the green line on this pic?

download/file.php?id=19822&mode=view

How about a Falcon?

How about a Shadowsword?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:
"These reports don't count because the Australians use their own house rules".

Was anyone that firm in their language, or was it more, "I wonder if...".

Just trying to keep things nice.

Ah... *coughs nervously*...some posts did get quite heated, probably ten times more 'firm' than I quoted.

In the interest of being fair and balanced, there were also certain members of the Australian community that were also posting some pretty abrasive posts as well. Neither types of posts were doing any good and helping the epic community move forward in any meaningful way.

I won't repost the comments, not want to spend much time on this, as this whole thread is meant to be about facilitating community involvement and getting everyone on the same page.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
danielcollins wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

Would a Scorpion generally be allowed to see over the low ruins and between the gaps in buildings on the green line on this pic?

How about a Falcon?

How about a Shadowsword?

Thanks Evil and Chaos for your question:

The "5-minute warm up intepretation" for this particular table was that each ruined 'city block' (outlined in red) is a single piece of terrain and the entire square (as defined by the base edge) blocks all line of sight, unless something is tall enough to shoot over

So in answer to your question, the only things that can shoot along that green line are
*Tall titans
*Popped up skimmers
And in both cases, the target had better be pretty tall or popped up to.

Shadowswords are plum out of luck.

Remember that this in one person's personal terrain and table and his recommended 5-minute warmup interetation as to play it, but I hope it makes things clear.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks that does make things clear. I had previously thought that it was literally "true LOS", rather than what seems to be somewhat of a hybrid of true LOS & "opaque" area terrain.

On previous post, I didn't see that. People be silly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The rulebook IS a hybrid of TLOS and opaque area terrain, as it is written. I can quote you the where it states that but it's been done before in other threads.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

danielcollins wrote:
The rulebook IS a hybrid of TLOS and opaque area terrain, as it is written. I can quote you the where it states that but it's been done before in other threads.

Please link me to previous discussion on this specific, I'm always interested in learning new stuffolas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's the main one: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=30865

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:39 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ginger wrote:
Hi Mic, not really - in the UK tournaments, all terrain pieces are a minimum of 6" X 9" (15x22cm) and sometimes bigger. There are normally 12 such pieces, comprising hills, woods and built up areas. Usually though not always, a BUA is represented by several buildings or ruins on a base that denotes the extent of the BUA. Consequently we do not shoot through gaps. Occasionally we also have craters, rivers or other 'flat' terrain. I might add that the terrain has to be portable as well as functional as it is taken around the country to the various events.

Terrain is not usually placed within 15cm of any table edge, so formations in the deployment area start the game behind rather than inside terrain. Units are either in, or out of terrain, and there is no shooting through terrain (unless it is declared 'flat' and not blocking LoS). As such, all units including WE and Titans can therefore hide behind terrain, though they can also stand on an edge and shoot out / be shot at as usual.

I agree that playing 'infinite height' terrain can be a tad simplistic though it does help keep the game flowing, which is possibly more important in a tournament setting.

I set up the terrain at a lot of UK tournaments and attend most of them, we always have 2 pieces of terrain, at least, in each deployment zone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

danielcollins wrote:
Here's the main one: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=30865

Thanks very much.

The relevant quotes have changed my mind on this topic and convinced me that the Ozzies are playing the rules as-written, and I have spent the last decade playing it according to a commonly accepted convention (or, "house rule", as it were).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Daniel - thanks for the link, some excellent terrain on show again!

Ginger wrote:
Hi Mic, not really - in the UK tournaments, all terrain pieces are a minimum of 6" X 9" (15x22cm) and sometimes bigger.

Sadly not. :( The Epic UK event terrain starts with pieces around 10x15cm, with 15x22cm being an average rather than a starting point.

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:
Terrain is not usually placed within 15cm of any table edge,

I go to less tournaments than you Gavin, but I've never noticed this, I've always found terrain to start in for my horde armies. Maybe I've been lucky on the tables I've drawn?

There's certainly been terrain in the DZs at the 6-7 events I've attended or watched that used the Epic UK terrain, including the GT last year.

Elsaurio wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
danielcollins wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

How about a Falcon?

How about a Shadowsword?

Thanks Evil and Chaos for your question:

The "5-minute warm up intepretation" for this particular table was that each ruined 'city block' (outlined in red) is a single piece of terrain and the entire square (as defined by the base edge) blocks all line of sight, unless something is tall enough to shoot over

So in answer to your question, the only things that can shoot along that green line are
*Tall titans
*Popped up skimmers
And in both cases, the target had better be pretty tall or popped up to.

Shadowswords are plum out of luck.

Remember that this in one person's personal terrain and table and his recommended 5-minute warmup interetation as to play it, but I hope it makes things clear.

Sorry to keep digging, but I'm a terrainaholic and the interaction of terrain and game rules is one of my pet loves - and I think we're finally getting down to the specifics of how different areas (not just countries but specific metas in each country) are playing terrain.

It may not have been clear, but I tried to draw a line along the photo where the terrain is a maximum of 6-7mm high (based on similar terrain I've made or played on), meaning that most units taller than standard infantry would be able to physically draw LoS to each other.

So maybe I need to rephrase the question - where there are very low gaps in area terrain, how are you deciding if a unit is tall enough to shoot over the top?

P.S. That table was picked as an example because the GW ruins are as close as it gets to a 'universal' terrain piece across metas, no negative connotations were intended because it's a great set of terrain!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
It may not have been clear, but I tried to draw a line along the photo where the terrain is a maximum of 6-7mm high (based on similar terrain I've made or played on), meaning that most units taller than standard infantry would be able to physically draw LoS to each other.

Just by eyeballing the terrain, I too reckon an average tank would have at least some guns high enough to see all the way down the line. With a -1 to hit applied, of course.

How do Ozzies play woods for shorter units that can't see over the trees?

As opaque area terrain (10cm LOS into it, no LOS beyond it), or by tracing true LOS between individual trees and applying a -1 for the target being occluded if it is behind the wood?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

Just by eyeballing the terrain, I too reckon an average tank would have at least some guns high enough to see all the way down the line. With a -1 to hit applied, of course.

How do Ozzies play woods for shorter units that can't see over the trees?

As opaque area terrain (10cm LOS into it, no LOS beyond it), or by tracing true LOS between individual trees and applying a -1 for the target being occluded if it is behind the wood?

Honestly those questions are far too detailed to answer on behalf of a whole continent. You would have to come down to the "5 minute warm up interpretation" for the individual guys who are playing on that particular table.

If there are any further questions about terrain (and this is a worthy topic) I'd like to gently steer said conversation over to it's own thread (perhaps in EA Strategy and Tactics) as it will probably be quite long and detailed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aye. That would also be a great opportunity to ask about overall terrain density in different metas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next