Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Assault question

Post subject: Re: Assault question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't understand how 1.12.5 isn't already clear about this. You have to have LOF in an assault. Am I missing something subtle in the situation?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

There's no mention of LoF until 1.12.5. At that point thr assault is already going. The issue is ypu can get to a roll-off in a situation where you could never inflict harm on onr another.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Notwithstanding the 'directly engaged' definition in 1.12.5 stating 15cm, I have a feeling that this was discussed by Neal Hunt many years ago, and he came to the conclusion that LoS is required in most parts of 1.12 assault, so is implied as being required throughout.

Consequently, if the surviving chargers are out of range OR LoS after assault then the Assault stalls and the defenders automatically win and there is no 'support fire'.

Here the Warhounds never got into position to be 'directly engaged' so automatically lost. The same could apply where the target has other enemy units elsewhere that are closer, causing the target to countercharge away from the chargers and possibly into a position where nothing is 'directly engaged'.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

^this^

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This would also apply if overwatch fire took out all stands with LOS in the absence of anyone being engaged in close combat right?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alf O'Mega wrote:
This would also apply if overwatch fire took out all stands with LOS in the absence of anyone being engaged in close combat right?

Yes. However it happens, by mistake or enemy action, if there are no charging units left 'directly engaged' (in range and LoS) then the assault stalls and the Defender wins.

Part of the reasoning behind this was to correct a very gamey practice where a massive formation was moved in position in front of an extended enemy formation which was then attacked (possibly on a flank) by a much weaker force. Originally the entire enemy formation was deemed to be engaged allowing it to be destroyed by the 'support fire' without reply. The intention behind the newer wording was to encourage players to use the main formation to initiate the assault.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:45 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Dave wrote:
Yep, just have to get within 15cm. If nothing has LoS, go to resoltution. At which point the defender wins because there are no attackers that are "directly engaged". Fourth paragraph:
http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/tourna ... ve-attacks

So having gone through this a little more, the above is wrong. Neal's original FAQ had this:

Quote:
Q: If on a second round of assault, after both sides have countercharged and there are no units in range and line of sight, does that mean the attack automatically stalls?
A: No. The rules for stalling an assault require the defender kills all the directly involved attacking units. Not having directly involved attacking units is not the same as the defender killing them.

That being the case it's actually: get within 15cm, if nothing has LoS go to resolution and work out the result.

That seems wrong, as others have mentioned. I searched for a ruling but didn't find one, so reached out to Neal, Onyx and dptdexys to see what's out there and what their thoughts are.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On my phone so can't check at the moment, but isnt there a requirement to get something into range for the assault to even take place? Otherwise you could just declare an assault on a formation on the other side of the table and win with inspiring and BMs etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:49 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes, one unit within 15cm.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So the issue really is about whether the rules technically require LoS too? It does seem wrong that you can get a roll off without risking any units. Requiring line of sight throughout (or just using the 'directly involved' terminology) would make it clear would it?

1. Attacker moves. If no units within range and LoS then assault does not take place.
2. Defender counter charges. If no units within range and LoS then go to roll off.
3. Fight assault. If directly engaged units are killed defender wins.
4. Assuming another round, both sides counter charge. If no units directly engaged, go to roll off.
5. Fight assault again, repeat etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think we discussed much of this at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31578&p=598082#p598082

I also had an odd situation against Richard in a tournament where part of this came up.
The defending unit counter charging outside 15cm of the attacker. In line with the above, we played that the assault didn't happen.
I'd assume the same situation where the attacker doesn't have (or loses due to counter charge) line of sight (we recently had a game where the defender charged the nearest unit drawing them further into a forest so no LOS. A role of in such a situation just doesn't seem right, it offers to much potential for gamesmanship by the attacker, whilst 'The attack stalls' does the opposite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave, I do agree that the definition for "Directly Engaged" should require at least one assaulting unit to be both within 15cm and LoS of at least one defending unit. However it does raise questions like that from Dan above.

I also agree that if there are no units "Directly Engaged" either after the initial charge moves, or after the countercharges, that the Assault does not occur.

This can only occur if the chargers do not get into position initially (after their charge move), or the defenders countercharge away from the attackers because:-
- The assaulting units are within 5cm of the extreme range for assaults (15cm in the open, 10cm in terrain)
- There are other enemy units closer than the assaulting unit(s), but outside countercharge range from the defenders.
- These other enemy units are behind the defenders relative to the attackers.

Note, This scenario is different from the similar situation in the 2nd and subsequent rounds where, even if there are no longer units "Directly Engaged" (and hence there is no support fire by definition), the assault resolution still takes place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

From where do you infer that the assault doesn't take place if counter charges result in no units being in 15? The rulebook has this check after the initial charge move, before the section about counter charges. The defender is not forced to countercharge so it seems reasonable to go to roll off to me.

Remember this 'stalled' rule was introduced to stop the dodgy tactic carried over from 3rd ed known as 'the sacrifice of the lonely bike' where you assault a scary formation but only put one unit in range to be killed, limiting your losses so you can win on modifiers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

From 1.12.3
Quote:
A formation undertaking an engage action is allowed to make one move (not a double distance move as is the case in many sets of wargame rules, not least many Games Workshop games), and then fights an assault against the enemy formation that was chosen as the target of the charge. This move is known as the charge move.
Make the move normally, as described in the movement rules given previously. Once the move is complete, the engaging formation must have at least one unit within 15cms of a unit from the target formation. If this is not the case then the assault does not take place and the action ends.

As I said earlier, IIRC this whole aspect was discussed many years ago by NealHunt, and formed the basis for his complete review of section 1.12. The point being that certain aspects were implied from earlier / later sentences in the section.

Elsewhere in 1.12.5 units must be within 15cm AND have LoS to be able to fight. There are situations where opposing units could end up within 15cm but be outside LoS. This causes no casualties by direct combat, and the rules move on to allow each side to call on support. This effectively triggers the exact case you refer to, which I agree that we should avoid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No my question was specifically about the order of the check for 15/LoS, not about the omission of LoS in that check. The bit you quoted is exactly what I am referring to, notably it occurs explicitly after the charge move and not after counter charges. So RAW if I charge and nothing is in range the assault doesn't take place, which makes sense as it is my fault. But if I do put stuff in range you may countercharge, and if you choose to countercharge and end up unable to attack, that's your fault and so you don't get to stop the assault happening by moving out of range, instead we go to roll off. I'm pretty sure that's how it's been played at tournaments too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next