Login |  Register |  FAQ

28mm plastic Wraithguard as Revenant proxies?

Post subject: 28mm plastic Wraithguard as Revenant proxies?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys, does anyone know if the new plastic Wraithguard would make good proxies for Revenants? Seems like if you took a Wraithblade, and replaced the lower arms with the barrel sections from two Wraithcannons, it could make a pretty passable model, providing it's not too tall.

I have the old metal models of Wraithguard, but I hear that the new ones are taller?

It would be a boon to me, as I am wanting to get back into Epic, and at the prices that actual Revenants go for on the secondhand market, plastic Wraithguard look appealing, as you can find them for around $10 on ebay, or a box set to give you two pairs.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 28mm plastic Wraithguard as Revenant proxies?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I have been considering the same (I'm using wraithlords as proxies for the larger eldar titan). However, having studied the wraithguard sprues I'm leaning towards usin guardians instead.

I've converted a weapons platform into a stormserpent, and since these now comes as part of the guardian squad I would gain the benedit of gettin most of the parts I need to make another, wasting less than I would should I use wraithguards.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wraithguard would make an excellent proxy for Revenants.

I'd be tempted to convert the guns to looks like Pulsars or Sonic Lances (Revenants aren't known for having wraith weapons) though I'm not sure where from.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think that they are the perfect proxy for Revenants.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They are a bit tall but not so much you'd need to worry. Put it on a thin base, add a smaller head (based on a guardian helmet perhaps ?) and maybe shortening the thigh a little should sort it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apoc did something similar though IIRC involved a Dire Avenger body. Point is it's totally doable
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17930&start=429

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I'd be tempted to convert the guns to looks like Pulsars or Sonic Lances (Revenants aren't known for having wraith weapons) though I'm not sure where from.

I figured for proxy purposes, a box of Wraithguard would give me two pairs of Revenants, plus an additional body I could maybe add to an existing metal Wraithguard squad n my 28mm Eldar army.

Two would get weapons grafted onto the ends of the melee arms (at the wrist joint in place of the hand) made from the Wraithcannon barrel-ends, the other two would get the same, just made from the new D-Scythe weapons. Both would be counts-as pulse lasers, though I personally think the D-scythe barrels will look the best.

Probably right about the smaller head, though. Likely the Dire Avenger because of the crest.

Mostly I worried about the height of them, as I heard they are taller than the old metal Wraithguard that I am familiar with. Definitely would at least make bases for them out of plasticard rather than the standard 40K bases, because that would at least make them "seem" shorter compared to all my other Titans and Knights who are on the normal thickness bases.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If someone competent would do this I would be willing to pay for it, and possibly commission a paint job.

https://epicaddiction.files.wordpress.c ... ag0625.jpg

Couldn't find an Epic Revenant standing next to a 28mm model, but here's two of them close to Phantoms which may be easier to ballpark scale.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vzXMzn5YVrM/U ... DGET02.jpg

http://wargamingtrader.com/question-scale-part-2

http://wargamingtrader.com/system/files ... gthumb.jpg

So close, that's the old old model.

In sum, if anything I think the Epic Revenant may be a bit slimmer than the 28mm Wraithguard, and obviously there are issues with the so-long-they-are-silly pulsar cannons (sonic something is a weapon option in NetEpic, but w/e).

http://eldar.arhicks.co.uk/miniatures/e ... rd_1_2.jpg

If you took both arms off right below the elbow guard, and just fitted pointy stick lances and possibly remove the skirt/leg banner, you'd be good. Finish off with a Wyche or Guardian head to replace the possibly too-large Wraithguard head.

Looking for Aeronautica Imperialis, Epic 40K/Titanicus, Dark Future, Mordheim, Necromunda/Kill Team/ITEN/D-squads, BFG, in NoVA/DC area. http://miniwars.co.uk/players http://www.tabletoptournaments.net/play ... ted-States http://nearbygamers.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

no idea what bits were used but this thread has a great scratchbuilt revenant

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was planning exactly the same thing - using the wraithguard/blades as revenants. I already have a 40k wraithlord in bits for re-posing into a dynamic Phantom.

D.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As cool as I think revenant as a Wraithguard with Dire Avenger head looks, it still seems like you would end up with a Revenant that's larger and bulkier than a Reaver, which kinda seems too big, especially compared to the old-school Revenant design.

It's a hard one, because the conversion looks so cool, and current prices on Ebay means you could have ten/fiveteen dollar Revenants, which beats the collector's prices all to hell.

I'm wondering about using the barrels of Dark Eldar splinter rifles as the pulse lasers, rather then the Wraith weapons. They have a much more slender look, and are much cheaper to get enough for several pairs. I;m thinking flip them upside down, cut off the shoulder stock and grip, leave off the Wraithguard hands, and glue the modified Splinter rifle underslung on the forearm, gluing everything together at the point where the grip assembly originally was, with the (former) wrist joint tight up against the ribbed section.

Then you get the detail of the interesting cylindrical mechanical bits of the rifle, which would look cooler than just slapping the barrel onto the wrist joint.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't have any 40k wraithguard, so I can't really comment - they do seem big, but the torso's a good match.

I have some 40k guardians and aspect warriors. The 3rd ed. howling banshees are pretty tall for 40k figures, and this one's shoulder height is still lower than that of the revenant. Their build is about right, though.

Swooping hawks might've worked better due to the pose, but they're sculpted holding blasters at the hip. Harlequins don't have the armor. I'd probably stick to wraithguard and cut them down wherever possible.

Attachments:
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG [ 93.63 KiB | Viewed 6367 times ]
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG [ 91.5 KiB | Viewed 6367 times ]