Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Epic: Hive (New supplement project)

Post subject: Re: Epic: Hive (New suppliment project)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah that's fine. Just scouring my resources to throw ideas out there.

As with a lot of things, throw enough stuff and eventually something will stick :D

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:46 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

zombocom wrote:
frogbear wrote:
Hybrid Monstrosities are a result of Genestealer infection of a planet’s larger predators.

Interesting, but I'm not sure why a cult trying to keep its identity secret and selectively infecting those who can help it build influence would infect a random big ol' beastie. Plus I'm not sure it fits that well with the Hive Planet setting.

In addition, the issue of GS infection of non-human species has been a topic of discussion since the army first appeared. It is clear that humans are the easiest to turn. Eldar have too long life spans, Orks dont procreate the same way to pass on the GS DNA (although there did exist some 40K Ork Hybrid models), Squats dont... exist.

However, GS Cults do often ally with Chaos cults, as they share similar purposes. Full Daemons are very unlikely, but possessed figures/vehicles and Daemonic beasts do happen (my WD army deal had a load of the first plastic IG and a load of Flesh-hounds).

Personally, I think that the GS DNA is implanted through the hypnotic gaze, and that is a lot less likely to work on the more base and savage creatures.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's a tid-bit of info in the Space Hulk novella that GW released alongside Space Hulk's 3rd edition as to how Space Marines infected by Genestealers become twisted piles of mutated flesh, as their super-charged DNA combats the Genestealer infection, resulting in a dead marine rather than an infected cultist marine.

Quote:
Orks dont procreate the same way to pass on the GS DNA

Although not made explicit as to how it works, it seems as if Orks can be infected with Genestealer DNA and can pass it on to their spore-offspring. Info in the 4th and 5th edition Tyranid codexes seem to indicate that this has happened.

It seems unlikely that the Orks would look after and conceal their infected offspring like infected humans do, however, Orks don't look after their own offspring under normal conditions anyway. This would possibly/probably result in genestealer "cults" finding it hard to take root in Orkoid society, as any mutants would be quickly spotted and killed.

Last edited by Evil and Chaos on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
There is at least one novel dealing with Ork Hybrids.
Also the Genestealer DNA is implanted via the Genstealers' tongue which he simply trusts into the victims throat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

From my reading, ork hybrids exist, but rarely develop into a cult because of the more individualist nature of ork society.

Either way, such a list isn't appropriate for this suppliment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
In addition, the issue of GS infection of non-human species has been a topic of discussion since the army first appeared. It is clear that humans are the easiest to turn. Eldar have too long life spans, Orks dont procreate the same way to pass on the GS DNA (although there did exist some 40K Ork Hybrid models), Squats dont... exist.

A terrible injustice done upon the Squats!!

I like the sound of the list. Let me know if you need anything.

Oh, we're putting together a mega-city right now and part of it will include a monorail. If you have any ideas about rules, throw them my way. Likewise if we come up with anything for it I'll post it here.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wooh....done reading the thread!

Seems interesting to say the least Moscovian.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I and my fellow Brothers of the Lion take huge offensive to having the Genestealers/Hybrid formation being called "Inner Circle"!!!! ::)

Beside that fact this supplement is awesome!

After reading and thinking about the Cult units and options...

Maybe title this as a 'Genestealer Cult PDF', as you pointed out that this is a cult at the point of a civil war. They would have had to taken over most of the PDF forces or IG is having a founding or something. That open the door to have limited Air support and SHT.

A crappy WE transport might be apportion for mass Brood Brother formations?

Give the Brood Brothers Lascannon's and the Hybrid's Heavy Bolters? Eh?

I think it would be possible to see Lightings in the list. They would most likely be the best fighter in a Hive area plus that is what the SoB have so they could be 'jacked' also.

I will ponder more on this. I having been working on a Cult list idea in my mind for sometime. It was to seduced my friend into Epic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:
I've started throwing around some ideas for a new suppliment, named Epic: Hive, which will feature the Sisters of Battle, a modern-style Tyranid list and a Genestealer Cult.

Also if that's the plan you really need to finalize tho's SHT/Churchs if the SoB have to fight a full Hive Fleet without SM or IG support.

Simulated Knave wrote:
All terrain is made cooler with monorails. Fact.

QFT! I love Monorails!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
I and my fellow Brothers of the Lion take huge offensive to having the Genestealers/Hybrid formation being called "Inner Circle"!!!! ::)

Background-wise the core of the cult, (the Patriarch, Magus and bodyguards) has always been known as the Inner Circle.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

Maybe title this as a 'Genestealer Cult PDF', as you pointed out that this is a cult at the point of a civil war. They would have had to taken over most of the PDF forces or IG is having a founding or something. That open the door to have limited Air support and SHT.

It'll likely be named something like "Nameofplanet Genestealer Cult Uprising", a campaign specific title, much as the standard Ork list is "Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka’s Ork War Horde".

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

A crappy WE transport might be apportion for mass Brood Brother formations?

I definitely want to fit some WE into the list somewhere, but I'm not sure how well this fits with the Hive Planet setting.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

Give the Brood Brothers Lascannon's and the Hybrid's Heavy Bolters? Eh?

Lascannons are too high tech for the Brood Brothers, I think I'm going to give them missile launchers.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

I think it would be possible to see Lightings in the list. They would most likely be the best fighter in a Hive area plus that is what the SoB have so they could be 'jacked' also.

The sisters only just arrived on the planet, no time to infiltrate and steal their equipment, so I'll likely have PDF fighters along the lines of the Mossinians or just standard Thunderbolts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
zombocom wrote:
I've started throwing around some ideas for a new suppliment, named Epic: Hive, which will feature the Sisters of Battle, a modern-style Tyranid list and a Genestealer Cult.

Also if that's the plan you really need to finalize tho's SHT/Churchs if the SoB have to fight a full Hive Fleet without SM or IG support.

Certainly the suppliment will include much more completed lists.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:
It'll likely be named something like "Nameofplanet Genestealer Cult Uprising", a campaign specific title, much as the standard Ork list is "Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka’s Ork War Horde".

I think this is a mistake. Make the list for all to enjoy and not a sub-list of another that should exist.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
zombocom wrote:

I think this is a mistake. Make the list for all to enjoy and not a sub-list of another that should exist.

It's how Epic works. All lists are specific lists, even if you can use them as a more general concept.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
zombocom wrote:

As Ulrik says, all epic lists are supposed to be campaign-specific.

There will, of course, be enough flexibility in the lists to represent other campaigns.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just as long as people recognize it as the Genestealer Cult and not a subset that has something different. That is my main concern.

In reality, it is not a hard list to make. I have just been reading the GS Cult battle strategem so I will post it up when I get some time to type it all up. It does provide a 'feeling' that (although you hate special rules), would work in with the 'feeling' that was proposed from the existance of the idea of the GS Cult.

IMO: Having the list exist as standard will work - yes. Having one rule (and only 1) that represents the feeling of the army, will take it that one step further and make it special. :)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next