Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Modular Epic / Exodus Wars 6mm buildings and 15mm stuff

Post subject: Re: Modular Epic / Exodus Wars 6mm buildings
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The steps going up to buildings and the small side buildings are great additions. Would you also include a piece on the road or path that has a drain or sewer cap?

I was wondering if the cathedral is available without the outer support beams. I noticed that they other buildings seem to have a slightly different windows, and I want to know if those outer support beams can be taken away from or added to any building of your choice?

I am getting more and more drawn in by this stuff. Its really great work.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I must see these! When are you coming to Bristol?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Reedar - I tell my boss that most days...

@ Primarch and Legion 4 - thanks very much!

@ mordoten - Right now I think a kickstarter may be the only way to ever release these. The cutter I am currently using is pretty damn old. A newer cutter would significantly reduce the potential cost of creating these commercially. I would be uncomfortable charging anyone the actual price it costs at the moment to cut these on the current laser. To give you an idea, the large building would cost around £25 which to my mind is a maybe a little too much to reasonably ask for.

@ bertnernie - thank you very much. There are drains built in to the kerbs, but yes there will be a number of different designs, some with wear and tear on the pavement slabs for instance, others with drains etc. Additionally, separate drain covers can be put in to a 'hyper-detailing' pack which would also include hatch covers for the roofs, ladders etc.

When you say if the cathedral is available without them, do you mean so you can swap them out with other ones, or available without any kind of buttresses? There are currently 12 different wall designs, with a further 7 outer layer designs, with most of them being interchangeable. There are then 8 styles of support beam to choose from, some of which barely protrude from the wall, but to have them gone entirely would leave the walls quite plain, not to mention with a big chunk missing where they would normally be. Although if wanted I could make buildings available without the buttresses I guess? Some of the buttresses are designed for ground floor buildings only, as they would protrude over the edge of the building below's roof if the building is stacked on top of another, but other than this any of them can be added to any of the buildings.

@ MoK - When I finally have enough of this stuff to cover a board, and have convinced you to come back from your Epic sabbatical ;)

I'm finishing off designs for a river/bridge system and a couple of larger objective buildings to fight over. Next time I use the laser I want to make sure I can cut out at least one of everything that I have currently half-designed, so there may be a couple of weeks wait.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

really impressive looking buildings, a city of these with the road system would be a wonder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll be drinking beer and coffee in the corner for now but am sure I'll get a couple of games in if Daz brings a spare army :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the detailed answer.

You pretty much answered my question, which I now see is two questions.

1. Are the support pillars interchangable? Yes

2. Can you take the support beams away from the Cathedral? Yes, but you'll have gaps you will need to fill in somehow.

I would find those pillars might not be what I want on a Cathedral, so I'd probably add something along those gaps. I'm assuming the gaps only go half way up the wall, so you don't need to fill a gap much further than half way. That means that 'statues' would fit in well there, if I had the time for that level of detail.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Why did you want those big tiles raised up off the table for the building bases? Seems like it's not necessary and would increase the cost.

EDIT: Ah sorry, realise you did answer that in the thread and you're going to offer flat ones too.

These look great - best city layout for Epic I've seen so far. If you did a kickstarter - how much do you think it would cost for a small city, that is, enough buildings to cover 2` by 3` of a board?

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stormwind wrote:

These look great - best city layout for Epic I've seen so far. If you did a kickstarter - how much do you think it would cost for a small city, that is, enough buildings to cover 2` by 3` of a board?

Good question. I would love to have 6x4 board covered with this, But as it is MDF i´m expecting the price point to be lower then the plastic table systems I have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Garben - Thanks!

@bertnernie - Fair enough about not wanting the buttresses, if that's the general feeling amongst others as well then I could do a version of it without.

@stormwind / skorpor - Indeed, the raised tiles with the steps are optional. I wanted a way to create different 'levels' to a city board, sometimes they can appear quite flat, but I think I've found another good solution for that too. I'm afraid I really can't say how much they would cost right now, I want to make them as modular as possible, ie you can either choose to purchase the removable first floors or not, they are not required to complete the building. Things like this can help keep the cost down for those that don't care for the extra details. The cost would mostly be dependent on if I can purchase a new laser cutter. How much do you think would be a reasonable price?

There's been slow progress on this project for the last couple of weeks due to some unforeseen work commitments, but back to the grind stone now I've been given some time off to compensate. I'm tightening up some designs for a river section and redesigning the road tiles to make the roads themselves 6cm wide. This is due to most titan bases being this size. It does mean narrower pavements either side of the roads though. Is this a big deal to most people or should the roads stay at 5cm?

A smaller project that should be done soonish is a modular trench. They come in sections that connect together and have 'duckboards' engraved on them, but the sides of the trench are unfinished and would need polyfilla or similar to create a beveled side due to how the laser cutter works. I'll be making some of these for my own interest anyway, but would this kind of thing appeal to anyone else?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great looking project! Congratulations and hope to see these released :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Argh I'm torn as to whether to wait for some of these or get the Wasteland things now. :-X

For price I would say that the Wasteland or Game Craft ones would be a good guide as to peoples' expectations

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Marauder!

Good point on the pricing Stormwind.

As a general update, I have loads of stuff designed and ready to cut now (a full boards worth). The only reason it hasn't been and this thread updated with loads of new photos is because I have managed to source a new, far more modern laser machine. This is exceptionally good news as it means it will be a lot less cost intensive to cut things, it has a bigger bed size meaning I can cut more at once and it can do all kinds of funky other stuff the old one couldn't. However....

I still don't have much of a clue how to use it! I've got to redo little bits of all the designs to comply with how the new laser works and have to play around with all the settings etc and figure out how to use it properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well that's good news overall I'd say! Even if it makes some short term hassle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Tc63 !

I've been watching this project for a while now - hadn't realised it was a "local" job as it were (problems of using mobile apps most of the time) nor that you'd be at the EE yesterday. Just to let you know i'm certainly interesting in getting a table's worth of the bases, and probably some buildings too if you do go into production. Looking forward to seeing the next update !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay, it may not be 6mm, but just to prove I'm not dead I thought I'd upload these.

Got the new laser machine working and have been testing it out on some designs for a 15mm post apocalyptic board. Thought it would be a good project to use to learn how the new machine works properly and when I have it sussed I can turn to the 6mm stuff once more.

Attachments:
File comment: Road tiles and city raiser block. Got to make the road narrower and make the pavement squares smaller yet.
photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 1 (3).JPG [ 104.34 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]
File comment: Inside the city raiser blocks there is space to place 9 modular sewer/bunker modules.
photo 2 (3).JPG
photo 2 (3).JPG [ 125.94 KiB | Viewed 4052 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next