Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Gothic Theme

Post subject: Gothic Theme
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,
Have started to consider what can be done to try and acheive a decent looking gothic city scene, As the city im building is based around priests, and other highly religious cults of the empire i needed to look for gothic type angels etc.

I stumbled on these from Reaper minatures, They are double sided pillars mirror effect, So with two minatures and a saw i can cut them in half and use them for Gateways or building reliefs to make buildings more gothic, In fact the gateshead games organ pipe building will indeed be getting some of these glued to it ;)

That said im not 100% sure on what these will end up like once painted and glued to buildings but if they dont work im sure they will make a fine gateway arches to a city!

cheers epic

Last edited by epic on Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Gothic Theme
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

there is a marine player that uses these in our epic group as objectives, based on 40 mm rounds and painted in a stone finish with aged moss etc , and they look nice, i think your idea as gate pillars is much betetr though as they are a tad big for objective imo, but they came up looking sweet with paint on them.

Tim NZ

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have tried a little bit of building scratchwork, Very easy design as i used what bits i had availible, have ordered some thinner plasticard and some brickwork sheets, But for the time been all i had was the large metal angels, some 1.5mm plasticard and church window kit sheet for a train set church!

As i did not have many materials to hand form was going to be basic, As mentioned before i wanted to cut the angel pillars in half, used a hack saw it took ages ;D bring back soft lead ;D After that made a simple box shape, glued the pillars on, cut out a few strips for the doorway and carved the two little door pillars on the edges to give them a bit of shape,

Glued on one of those 28mm marine icons above the door to add a bit of 40k universe feel and made a big hole to put one of the window sheets in! they are printed on clear plastic so they look pretty cool. Then put a roof on!

Its not finished yet, as im going to add thin brickwork sheets to the sides and back, may add another section to the top aswell, but will wait till get thinner plasticard as the window areas are hard to cut in 1.5,

Will use this as a sanctuary building or maybe if i scratchbuild another one or cast it, I was thinking of using it as a gate house, i.e have one either side of a large city gate!

Regards epic

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

maybe it's just me, but brickwork doesn't seem right with those massive angelic statues. Have you considered stone construction, perhaps with a multiple-gabled roof? Love the way the statues turned out, and the stained glass looks great.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Signal wrote:
maybe it's just me, but brickwork doesn't seem right with those massive angelic statues. Have you considered stone construction, perhaps with a multiple-gabled roof? Love the way the statues turned out, and the stained glass looks great.

Cheers signal ;) Good ideas mate on the roof, I will pop a gable roof on ! As for the brickwork yes i know what you mean and your quite right, however the platic sheet turned up and its stonework sheet :) so will just glue some to the sides and back and leave the front alone.

Also have glued an imperial eagle on the gable front bit of wall to add a bit of style to it, Im just going to black coat it for now, will do the usual grey paint scheme but need to get the colours as im not use to painting buildings and only have an old codex grey in my paint pallet.

Any tips of you guys for painting buildings would be greatly appreciated as i have seen some fantastic paint jobs on the old ruined plastics on the forum and would like to get the same sort of finish for this building if possible ;)

Will get a finished picture of the structure not sure how the a black building will photograph though but will give it a go.

Regards epic

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Keeping my eye on this thread. :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Keeping my eye on this thread. :-)
cheers E&C dont expect to much detail though its very basic ::) Well here are some pictures, not the best as the sun has gone in, Its very basic but i need something thats easy to construct.

Also im expecting an n gauge large structure soon, I will be deconstructing it and using certain sections to create a more asthetically pleasing building, but im still waiting for it to arrive.

Regards epic

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quite nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How did you cut the pillars in half?

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
How did you cut the pillars in half?

Junior hacksaw ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That looks great! nice work. The only advice I can give on painting buildings is use a lot of drybrushing, combined with a wash to tone it down/blend the colors. In this case, greys would be best IMO, with a black wash.

On another building, flying buttresses might be a good gothic touch, especially if you find yourself short on fancy statuary.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Arguably the most iconic aspect of Gothic architecture is the distinctive shape of archways (as both doors and windows). Couple you perhaps add some of these to the otherwise blank sides? They're most pronounced in ecclesiastical buildings but other buildings do tend to have them too, just not as many or as pronounced perhaps. Given that you already have a stained-glass window, it has quite an ecclesiastical feel anyway.

Pointy bits can also look quite Gothic.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pretty darn nice !!!! ^-^

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the gable much more. Good work :)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Building looks good, quite like the big STC carbon copy block with gothic embelishment vibe it's got going for it.

Little off topic but where's the little pointy hatted guy with the chainsword from?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next