Login |  Register |  FAQ

Great Company of Ragnar Blackmane TOE

Post subject: Re: Great Company of Ragnar Blackmane TOE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, in name only ... But the US still has Armored Cav Rgts, as I said the 3d and 11th come to mind. However, with current TO&Es they may only be Rgts in name only and closer to Bdes ... But for example today in the US, it Is Veteran's Day. Many of us will meet for meals, donated free by some eateries, etc. ... When I run into another 101 Vet, one of the first questions is who you were with. The answer is usually by Rgt, like 187, 502, 506, etc. ...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, did staff course (joint) last year and had a US collegue explain his stetson (not a hat :) ) badging to me...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep ... The Cav units in the Fulda Gap when was there wore US CAVALRY on their uniform, instead of US ARMY, like the rest of us. The US CAV has a long tradition, like many US Infantry units. The US ARMY Troops you see in DC, in Army dress blue uniforms, at parades, ceremonies, etc. are known as the US ARMY 3d Infantry Rgt, The Old Guard. They trace their linage directly back to the American Colonial Army under Washington. During the ARW/AWI, combating those Redcoats and Kraut Hessians ! In Mech Bde I served with at Benning. The other INF Bn in the Bde was the 3d Bn, 7th Regiment of Infantry. That was under Gen. Andy Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812 . Again ... fighting those pesky Redcoats ! Back to the CAV, the Infantry units in the 1st CAV Div. in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, were designated CAV albeit they were organized as Infantry. Out of tradition, etc. ... In Iraq, the Great, Great, Great Grandson of Wild Bill Hickock, who also went by the same name. Was a CAV Officer with ... IIRC ... the 9th CAV. And they worn stetsons when not in combat. The US ARMY has Air and Armored CAV units as well ... that are actually organzied as CAV not Infantry. The CAV Bn in the 2ID when I was there, was the 4th of the 7th CAV ... Yes, tracing their linage back to Gen. Custer's 7th CAV of i the Indian War ... notably in the summer of 1876. The US ARMY RANGER Rgt, traces their linage back to Roger's Rangers in the French and Indian. So as you can see, linage and tradition plays a big part in the Military ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ALERT!!

Thread jacking in progress!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah ... I thought about that after I typed those comments ... 'nuff said ... So cool your jets ... BTW, has anyone found the TO&E for Blackmane and his unit ? Besides what I found, which I think it is complete, but there may be better intel out there ... Anyone ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the wiki is not bad, but what is with the vehicle like the gunships etc, or i have not read the wiki enough?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wiki basically just gives you Infantry units ... The rest, based on me doing Epic since '90 and all the versions may give to Mins & Maxs. Like in SM1 TO&Es or SM2 even ... What version are you using ? E:Armageddon, NetEpic ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

a little bit sm2, but i want to make my own rule system with friends. There i want to make this great company 100% accurate with all infantry and vehicles.

Polyversal is another rule option.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well with SM2, you have the unit cards. And based on those min. & Maxs you should be able to get a good TO&E ... Now I have 2 Space Wolf Great Company Cards. Each Co. has 20 Stands of Grey Hunters + 10 Rhinos. So you have 2 Packs of 10 Grey Hunter Stands and 5 Rhinos per pack. 2 packs per Co.The option is the Wolf Guard Command unit on the Great Co card. That unit can be 4 Grey Hunter stands + 2 Rhinos OR ... 4 Terminator stands with 2 Land Raiders. And if I remember correctly, a Company Card can have 0-5 Support Units +1 Special Card. The Support cards can be any SM units, like Whirlwinds, Predators, ThunderHawks, Long Fangs, Blood Claws, etc., etc. ... The Special Card, can be a Wolf Priest Ulrik, Rune Priest Najl or Iron Priest. We still use the SM1 standard of a Bn HQ. That has 2 Command Assault Stands, one being Ragnar and 4 SWs + the other one being the 2nd in Command/XO/2IC + 4 SWs. All SWs on Bn Command stands are Assault Troops w/jump packs. The 2d unit in the HQ is a Cmd Land Raider for Ragnar and his 2IC & staff to ride in if they don't use their jump packs. Ragnar and his 2 HQ stands can use the Raider or Jump Pack or both for movement per turn. The last unit in the HQ are 2 Recon/Scout Land Speeders. All three units operate separatly. Unless Ragnar & his 2 stands ride in th Raider. And they can dismount from the Raider at the end of the Raider's move. Like any other transported unit(s) ...