Login |  Register |  FAQ

Centurions

Post subject: Centurions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:45 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

need a fluff-expert here

Can marine characters use centurion armour in 40k?

wondering whether to add it as a special rule in the IF list that they can't.... it would be a pretty obvious place to stick a character, extra save and attacks.... but if it's not how they work, then I'll forbid it....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Centurions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can't we just ban Termitubbies from EA? (Hope I'm not stirring up a closed discussion here, butthey are a nonsensical, not to mention ugly, addition to the universe)

Imperial fists
Steel Legion
Black Legion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I for one like the centurions - big armour, lots of dakka, what's not to like ;)
As they are such a new addition I don't think there is too much fluff about them, just IIRC that it is a special armour for devastators, so not for "full" (tactical) marines. In 40k Centurions are just a single unit, rather than centurion armour being an item. Hence, I'd say no characters in centurion armour.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:27 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

@ Engmir, I had my arm twisted to include them in the IF list, gonna try them out tonight, I see you have an IF army... fancy doing some playtests and batreps for me?? ;)

I'm actually coming round to the models slowly

I'll make a note that characters can't use centurion armour then, thanks Dr. Pepper!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, no characters in Centurion armour. Add a note preventing it in their notes I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I actually like them. Over the top? Yes.

But I like them nonetheless.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

there is absolutely no indication that a character cannot wear centurion armour, and no reason why they would be unable to do so (it is just an exosuit after all)

Sure, there aren't any characters currently in centurion armour, but you cannot buy captains, librarians, or chaplains in scout armour and there's no rule to prevent adding them there.

there's no rule to stop you having characters driving vindicators or rhinos, flying land speeders or even thunderhawks, despite it being something that is super unlikely.

Why on earth would you feel that centurions would need a rule to prevent it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We know the Scout company has a captain and if librarians or chaplains are with them they'd have regular power armour, but one on a stand with scouts wouldn't affect the save.

Chronius (the Ultramarines tank commander special character) is known to ride in Vindicators, Predators and Land Raiders. Things like a Librarian in a Predator could actually be a tank with a commander and upgraded with a multi-melta or the like, a Chaplain could be an ancient relic tank from the Horus Heresy that inspires it's fellows, ect.
Quote:
Why on earth would you feel that centurions would need a rule to prevent it?

Since, unlike the other cases (many of the ones that make least sense would actually be poor and unlikely ever to be used anyway), Centurions would be a good place to have characters as they have considerably better armour than the other infantry they're with. It would be an un-needed boost and I agree with preventing it. It's also not something allowed in 40k and it feels gamey for a character in regular armour to be more survivable because he's hanging out with Centurions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Chronos is just a dude, he's not the captain of any company, he's just a sargeant. If a sufficiently talented sargeant can fulfil your "well tanks can have characters" requirement, then why could a similar character not exist for centurions? Tanks existed for 4 editions before a character marine was created for them, but we've been allowing librarian predators since before the 5th ed marine codex (and thus, chronos) came out. Is it really so much of a stretch to believe that a centurion character might exist sometime in the next twenty years? Is such an idea so damaging that it must be legislated against?

Upgraded weaponry is an excuse that is in no way invalid for centurions either. Nor is the ability clash arguement. Adding a librarian does not prevent the attached scout squad to lose scout or infiltrator. Commissars can hang out with ogryn and become more survivable. So if 1 dude in power armour doesnt make a difference to a scout stand, why would one dude in power armour make a difference to a centurion stand? Hell, he doesnt even need to be in power armour, he could be in terminator or artificier armour to improve his survivability to keep pace.

Any arguement to prevent characters from being in a Centurion stand falls apart when compared to an example elsewhere in the army where a comparable character was allowed into something else. There is nothing remotely plausible in the fluff to suggest that a character would be both unable to pilot, and unable to accompany, a centurion unit. Certainly nothing to suggest that this is more the case than land speeders, thunderhawks, rhinoes, or scouts. we allow all these other things, denying it here is at best, unneeded.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:53 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I have to say I think JTG makes a very compelling point, and I'm very much not the kind of person to slavishly follow 40k rules (terrible ruleset that it is...) for now I'll allow characters to join centurion stands, if testing shows them up as OP, OR a piece of fluff emerges that says 'characters don't ever use centurion armour like EVAR' then we can look to change it, my feeling is it's going to be a relatively minor thing as the cost of a character AND a centurion stand is minimum 125 points, it's a no-brainer for a supreme commander, but probably too expensive for other characters as well....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
@ Engmir, I had my arm twisted to include them in the IF list, gonna try them out tonight, I see you have an IF army... fancy doing some playtests and batreps for me?? ;)

I'd like to, I have a terrible record actually typing out batreps. I have a backlog of three squats to do first :-(

Imperial fists
Steel Legion
Black Legion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

even playtest with a few notes on units would be a help :) not asking for a per-activation batrep, but play a game and share some thoughts, it's all helpful! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They seem like models between a Terminator and a Dreadnaught ... just more models for GW to sell and not really needed ... But that being said if you want to add them to your SMs, go for it ! ;)