Login |  Register |  FAQ

Working Leman Russ

Post subject: Working Leman Russ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi.

After a week of hard labour I came up with these two sights. Maybe I'll came up with a third (from above).

Enlarged turret, automatic loader, 200 mm ammo, 40 rounds, raised side skirts, enlarged and fuctional treads, functional front armour.

Code:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/img009rt.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/img008st.jpg/

Enjoy.

Discuss.

CS Edit - As reported below, it is possible that one of the advert banners on the ImageShack hosting page for this, has some script running. Most likely, this is a simple script which is being flagged as a virus but isn't harmful, and is attached to only one of the banner that are on rotation on the ImageShack site. However, in the interest of security, I have wrapped 'code' tags around the links to disable automatic redirection on the pages, but left the links in place for anyone wishing to check them out. I also want to make it clear that at no point do I think that this is anything to do with Gustovic. Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Working Leman Russ
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:46 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Nice. It's good to see someone look at the functional design side of a Russ. Too much handwaving makes Ghost unhappy.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe I'll do a Chimera too, but I think it needs less work than a Russ.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:57 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

For starters, where's the freakin' engine? I don't buy the "in the track assemblies" line.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And that's the major issue I had. I have no idea of how much space does occupy a 1500 hp engine. Maybe a mars pattern hull would contain it. Don't get me wrong: this isn't the best possible future tank, is just a plausibile working model of our beloved bulky tank.
If you have the measurements I would be really glad to modify the blueprint ;D .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

if i was making a working russ - i'd want to lower the profile as much as possible. or are you still working on the principle of massive armourr means no need to duck?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:12 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I suspect he's trying to stay as true as possible to the original while still making everything plausable in a real world sense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's exaclty what I meant =).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's rear-engined, like a Porsche 911! Seriously though, I'd expect the engine to be smaller than the ones we have now. People have hit 1000hp with twin-turbo 6-cylinder car engines from the early '90s, so how hard can it be?

The height is odd, but anything can be explained away. Maybe it was a civilian vehicle adapted into military use, or it was designed to be narrow for transport ease, and squeezing everything inside required making it tall. Or maybe the most likely attacks were from above, at the time, so slab sides were ideal.

Here's another way to spin it - the concept of the tank had been long lost, and the Leman Russ (and original Land Raider) is actually an adaptation of a twin-tracked Doom Wheel that happens to resemble the tanks we know.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:19 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

all Adeptus mechanicus approved tanks are from STC designs; designs that were specifically set up to be as modular as possible, and constructable from the widest range of materials.

the base STC design the Leman Russ is based off is supposed to be amongst other things an agricultural tractor.

STCs and the mechanicus' unwillingness to innovate explain 99% of all godawful design decisions for the Imperium.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I got a very virus on the that link ... don't click on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nooo It took MicroSoft over 2 two hours and cost me $$$$$ to KILL IT !!!!!!!!!! :nooo Death to whoever posted that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gah :gah :gah :gah :gah :gah

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:39 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Legion 4 wrote:
I got a very virus on the that link ... don't click on it

Please see my note in the original post of this thread. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madd0ct0r wrote:
if i was making a working russ - i'd want to lower the profile as much as possible. or are you still working on the principle of massive armourr means no need to duck?

I thought the Leman Russ was based on an old tractor STC. I assume if they discovered an STC for a purpose-designed tank they'd... well, no, they probably wouldn't use it. Not when you can build twice as many Leman Russes with the same budget and schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:24 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

carlisimo109 wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:

I thought the Leman Russ was based on an old tractor STC. I assume if they discovered an STC for a purpose-designed tank they'd... well, no, they probably wouldn't use it. Not when you can build twice as many Leman Russes with the same budget and schedule.

AFAIK the Russ STC was for a tank. Perhaps you're thinking of the Seigfried light tank which is based on the Land Crawler?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
carlisimo109 wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:

AFAIK the Russ STC was for a tank. Perhaps you're thinking of the Seigfried light tank which is based on the Land Crawler?

No, the Leman Russ was a tank from a Standard Template Construction. That STC design was a tracked motor vehicle which, amongst other things, could also be produced as an agricultural tractor. The base design, like all STCs, is generic enough to cover a wide a range of possibilities as possible, which explains why a STC vehicle probably isn't as good as a purpose designed one.

That said, I think a lot of the problem of the Leman Russ is the fact that the 28mm kit is designed to have a small a footprint as possible to fit on a standard table easily, and so looks stretched vertically. I think I'm gonna CAD up a more reasonably proportioned version this weekend.