Login |  Register |  FAQ

Sentinels in DKoK service.

Post subject: Re: Sentinels in DKoK service.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
Major Stryker wrote:
"Barran are pretty much a a defensive siege army only while Krieg can be played offensively also if superheavy Gorgon transports are taken.

You are right, I just check the Krieg list I have and the Seigfried isn't on it.

Another point of contention, when did the gorgon become a Super Heavy transport?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Since 2007 or so, when Forge World re-did the vehicle for W40k DKoK and made it one.

In W40k it now has 3 structure points (W40k equivalent of Epic DC) just like a Baneblade has and it transports 50 troops rather than however many the old one could (I forget now but assume it was somewhat less?).

FW actually sell a plug-in model of 50 transported soldiers to prove they fit:

Other changes you may not have noticed are that basic Krieg infantry have no ranged attacks (Krieg doctrine concentrated the heavy weapons into dedicated groups that are optionally added in epic) and Death Riders have a 5+ save due to their tougher cyborg horses. I really like using the Epic DKoK list, it's one of my favourite epic lists.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know this strays from the original subject, but as I am the one who posed the original question I think I have a little latitude here. ;)

Does it really make sense that forces of Krieg would use such a huge, open topped(!!) bullet magnet to transport such a large volume of troops? Personally, I think the older stats make more tactical sense. But, I will say the model is phenomenal looking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Major Stryker wrote:
Does it really make sense that forces of Krieg would use such a huge, open topped(!!) bullet magnet to transport such a large volume of troops? Personally, I think the older stats make more tactical sense. But, I will say the model is phenomenal looking.

C'mon, it's a landgoing giant version of the landing craft from WWII. What could be cooler? Sense got nothing to do with it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

" think that in many cases, sense and 40k do not meet... "

Entirely true. But, even in a sci-fi game suspension of belief has it's limits. :o ;D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
Major Stryker wrote:

C'mon, it's a landgoing giant version of the landing craft from WWII. What could be cooler? Sense got nothing to do with it!

Interesting, I hadn't realised that. That does make it more acceptable IMO, I had wondered similarly to MS, particularly as they're an army likely to be attacked by artillery a lot.

Death Korps of Krieg are not almost the most tactical though and their soldiers and commanders are very uncaring of their mortality in the background. At one point the Vraks books mentions "Krieg commanders regard the expenditure of armoured vehicles with the same callous disregard as that of men, they will simply find more tanks to replace losses." Good thing they're grown in vats or whatever so they can churn them out by the billion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i though it was a mix of both -they're vat grown so they don't care too much about life, seeing only to die for the emprah; and they don't care much about life, seeking only to die for the emprah so they need be vat grown to keep the numbers up.

the gorgons are about as sensible as the boats that inspired them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The idea of the Guard in general and the Krieg armies in specific is to sell your life as dearly as possible in service to the Emperor; in Kriegs case to also wipe the stain of when the planet turned it back on the Emperor 500 years in the past. Taking a chance in losing 50 men at a time in an open top vehicle to a well placed artillery shot makes no sense (from a fluff perspective) at all. But, as has been said before WH40K often doesn't make sense. ::)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 40k setting has giant battle robots (Titans) armed with fists so that they can punch each other. No, a lot of 40k does not make sense. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
The 40k setting has giant battle robots (Titans) armed with fists so that they can punch each other. No, a lot of 40k does not make sense. :)

Ah c'mon, open fists makes perfect sense for battle robots. Just look at Warmachine, everybody wants open fists so they can throw the other robot into a third robot!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyway, on to an different subject. Where does it say the Kriegsmen are grown in vats? I must've missed a memo at some point. ;D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Major Stryker wrote:
" think that in many cases, sense and 40k do not meet... "

Entirely true. But, even in a sci-fi game suspension of belief has it's limits. :o ;D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Major Stryker wrote:
Anyway, on to an different subject. Where does it say the Kriegsmen are grown in vats? I must've missed a memo at some point. ;D

it's heavily hinted at - Kreig supplies regiments at an incredible rate, weird technologies were used during their civil war, troops don't have names, only numbers and always wear gas masks when around other regiments.

it's an open secret within the universe. They're not supposed to be doing it but more meat for the grinder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"...troops don't have names, only numbers..."

Hmmm, sounds a little like that Welsh Reg't in the movie Zulu. ;D