Login |  Register |  FAQ

[BatRep] Iyanden vs. AMTL - 4000 pts

Post subject: [BatRep] Iyanden vs. AMTL - 4000 pts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tactica @ 13 Jan. 2006 (18:55))
Spirit Warhost (SW) in Vampire assaulted the Skitarii, and destroyed them as well (but losing one stand in the process). They then used their consolidation movement to hop back into the Vampire.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought JJ ruled against this tactic. I 'thought' aircraft delivered troops could not consolidate back into the aircraft the same turn it dropped them off.

I think this made it into the most recent faq, but I could be mistaken.

Cheers,

Is that so ?

We both wondered if that was a legal tactic... but then we couldn't find any reason not to do it, so my opponent let me do it (actually, he suggested it because at first I thought it wasn't allowed...).

Could somebody confirm or invalidate this ? Personally, I don't see any reason not to do it... After the assault, my formation of 4 had been reduced to 3 and had two BMs. It kept its BMs at the end of the turn, so I chose not to use it the following turn, instead using the Vampire to fire at the Warhounds.

None of us felt it had given me undue advantage... and it certainly didn't help me win !  :8):

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Exibit A...

Epic FAQ part 1

1.12 Assaults

1.12.9 Winner Consolidates
Q: Can a transport pick up the units as part of its Consolidation move?

A: Yes. However only one of the units is allowed to make a Consolidation move, and the other unit must remain stationary. Usually the unit that moves will be the transport vehicle, as transports need to 'move over' units to pick them up (see 1.7.5). However, with war engines it may be the unit that is embarking that will need to move and the war engine that cannot, as sometimes units can only embark by moving into contact with the war engine (see 3.1.3)

Exibit B...

Epic FAQ part 2

1.12 Assaults

Q: A transport moves 30cm, unloads troops who then participate in the Assault. If they win can the Transport pick up the units as part of its Consolidation Move?
A: Yes. The Consolidation Move is considered a movement and as per section 1.7.5 Transports can pick up units as part of any movement.

Exibit C...
Next question, same section - and the important one to address your exact situation.

Q: Can a unit that disembarked from a War Engine to take part in an Assault use its consolidation move to get back into the War Engine?
A: Yes it can. However, if it does so then the War Engine loses its own Consolidation move (and War Engine Transports may not make a Disengagement move at the end of the turn) as it has to wait around while the troops climb back on board. Note that the War Engine may make a Consolidation move (or a Disengagement move if it is an aircraft) if no troops embark upon it.

As you can see here, although you you could consolidate your infantry back into your SH Flier, you could not have left the field. Thus, you would have been a 0 move SHT for the next turn shooting... that means all weapons could have targetted your vehicle with your infantry on board UNTIL the end of the turn... not just AA flak.

On the other hand, you could have left the infantry there and completed a disengagement move... that would have left your infantry there all alone though.

It sounds like this may have impacted your playtest experience in this game. These things happen and no big deal, but better to identify them now and get another game in without the error so you can see how the list really performs.

The Champion will appreciate the feedback that much more as a result!

PS - good report btw!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (Hojyn @ 13 Jan. 2006 (20:40))
Quote (Tactica @ 13 Jan. 2006 (18:55))
Spirit Warhost (SW) in Vampire assaulted the Skitarii, and destroyed them as well (but losing one stand in the process). They then used their consolidation movement to hop back into the Vampire.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought JJ ruled against this tactic. I 'thought' aircraft delivered troops could not consolidate back into the aircraft the same turn it dropped them off.

I think this made it into the most recent faq, but I could be mistaken.

Cheers,

Is that so ?

We both wondered if that was a legal tactic... but then we couldn't find any reason not to do it, so my opponent let me do it (actually, he suggested it because at first I thought it wasn't allowed...).

Could somebody confirm or invalidate this ? Personally, I don't see any reason not to do it... After the assault, my formation of 4 had been reduced to 3 and had two BMs. It kept its BMs at the end of the turn, so I chose not to use it the following turn, instead using the Vampire to fire at the Warhounds.

None of us felt it had given me undue advantage... and it certainly didn't help me win ! ?:8):

You can consolidate into a war engine transport, but that transport then loses its consolidation move (or disengagement move).

This is in the FAQ at the SG website (version 2 I believe - April 2004). Worth downloading as it has a lot of clarifications and good stuff in it.

Fantastic pics and reports by the way!

(Edit - and Tactica beats my reply by a few seconds, and with a more comprehensive answer to boot!  :D )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Markconz @ 13 Jan. 2006 (16:36))
(Edit - and Tactica beats my reply by a few seconds, and with a more comprehensive answer to boot! ?:D )

Glad to be of service.  :;):

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks to both of you (Tactica and Markconz).

We do play we all the latest FAQs near at hand, but it's hard to stop the battle for 10-15 minutes just to find that one line in the FAQ...  :8):

Anyway, I don't think it had much of an impact on the battle:  

- If I had left the Spirit Warhost where it was, it would have been isolated from my lines and an easy target for the enemy troops. So I can safely say it wouldn't have done much and would have died rapidly.

- As it is, the SW did the following :
  * Turn 1: Assault from Vampire, won, hopped back into Vampire, left the table;
  * Turn 2: The Vampire activated, but since my Spirit Warhost still had 2 BMs on them, I felt it was better not to risk it in an assault, and I only made an attack with the Vampire;
  * Turn 3: At that point, it was pretty clear I had lost the battle already, so I just sent them in a "Glory or Death" assault on the most vulnerable Titan, hoping to damage it... I think the titan left 1 DC...   :oops:

As you can see, it didn't do much anyway.  :;):

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (clausewitz @ 13 Jan. 2006 (00:23))
Its a really tough army to take out "head-on", as the titans have superb firepower and are really tough.  With enough points the AMTL can more easily have enough formations to prevent being easily out-maneuvred, which is a problem at lower points.

Yeah, when fighting AMTL you need to change your tactics more than against any other force. You can't take them head on and shooting them piecemeal isn't going to achieve much at all. I usually try to ignore all other titans except for the break their spirit and Warhounds and try and concentrate on the support formations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep ... That many Titans ... going Toe-to-Toe .. :down: Inovative tactics are in order ! :;):