Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ulthwe Black Guardian Warhost Upgrades

Post subject: Ulthwe Black Guardian Warhost Upgrades
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have a question about the "Black Guardian Warhosts may replace two of the Wave Serpents for four Falcons at an additional cost of +150 points "upgrade for the Black Guardians.

Why has this been set at two Wave Serpents being replaced instead of "up to two Wave Serpents" allowing for two or four Falcons at +75 points per pair?  Is it just to make the choice have a high point value?  I like the idea of the Seer Council and Farseer riding about in Falcons (the old Command Falcons, natch!) and the rest of the unit in Wave Serpents.  Can someone explain this limitation to me?

Thanks!

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:42 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

One of the main reasons for limiting the up-grade was that at one stage you could have 8 Falcons on a 1+ Int. It was expensive, but it hurt when it hit.

The lack of flexibility in the upgrade comes from the theory that Falcons and Guardians should not be mixed. IE too cheap a platform for multiple Falcons. Therefore a strict upgrade.

Lets see how the list works and in two years time we can always review it :p

Tiny

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not asking about replacing all the Wave Serpents with Falcons, just "one or two" with two or four Falcons.  That doesn't seem too overpowering or unreasonable to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Chroma @ 19 2005 July,12:15)
I have a question about the "Black Guardian Warhosts may replace two of the Wave Serpents for four Falcons at an additional cost of +150 points "upgrade for the Black Guardians.

Why has this been set at two Wave Serpents being replaced instead of "up to two Wave Serpents" allowing for two or four Falcons at +75 points per pair?  Is it just to make the choice have a high point value?  I like the idea of the Seer Council and Farseer riding about in Falcons (the old Command Falcons, natch!) and the rest of the unit in Wave Serpents.  Can someone explain this limitation to me?

Thanks!

That was part of Jervis' draft when I took it over. Nobody questioned or requested just 2 Falcons (IIRC) so it was never considered. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (MC23 @ 20 2005 July,12:27)
That was part of Jervis' draft when I took it over. Nobody questioned or requested just 2 Falcons (IIRC) so it was never considered. Sorry.

Doesn't it seem like an obvious and easily implemented option?  Having the choice between 2 or 4 Falcons doesn't seem likely to unbalance the formation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Scheduling has kept my Ulthwe army from returning to the table top with the new Black Guardian hosts. How have they've been for everyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:46 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well unfortunately, I haven't been able to do much testing recently either. I did however take a Guardian B-T list to Open War 4 at the beginning of the month. In two of the games it performed brilliantly. Throughout middle game I suffered from a spate of 1's and failed to activate large portions of my army.

Anyway I will try and get some games sorted out soon.

Tiny

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Last game I played with them, I couldn't do much damage, mainly because while I could activate my formations, I seemed incapable of doing anything with them, rolling 2s and 3s for firefight attacks and assault resolution (while my opponent rolled sixes)...

The Black Guardian host with Falcons (I used a pair of falcons to transport my Farseer and Seer Council from that host, with the Wave Serpents transporting the Guardians) was targeted early by enemy artillery, so I didn't get to do much with it (in spite of my efforts to disable that artillery with aircraft, mainly due to an inability to make 5+ reinforced armour saves).

It wasn't a good game... I'll probably arrange a rematch at some point soon, but I've got WFRP and BFG games to contend with in the mean time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Should have played last night but my opponent failed to show ?:angry:

I was on the receiving end of Tiny Tim's gaurdians at OW4 and I now realise how powerfull guardians can be.

I'm not sure how tough the Black Guardian squads will be without the wraith constructs. I'll hopefully get some testing in the next couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What configuration do folks usually take with the new Black Guardian formations? I'm having difficulties justifying the points, mostly because I get nervous with formations that cost quite a bit. I've configured my formation as follows:

Black Guardian Formation (525)
-1 Farseer Council
-1 Farseer
-7 Black Guardians
-3 Wave Serpents
-2 Falcons

Adam.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Clockwerks @ 20 Oct. 2005 (02:07))
What configuration do folks usually take with the new Black Guardian formations? I'm having difficulties justifying the points, mostly because I get nervous with formations that cost quite a bit. I've configured my formation as follows:

Black Guardian Formation (525)
-1 Farseer Council
-1 Farseer
-7 Black Guardians
-3 Wave Serpents
-2 Falcons

Adam.

That's pretty much the formation I use as well - I've always justified it by the sheer power of a combined Black Guardian/Dire Avenger armoured assault (two formations putting out a total of 22 FF4+ attacks, 2 FF5+ attacks and 2 FF5+ MW attacks, able to strike from 55cm away and activating on a 1+).

As it is, it's the third most expensive formation in my 4000pts force (after the 3-strong EoV troupe, and the Revenant Titans), with all the other formations much cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am a BIG fan of the EoV formations... Pack quite a punch... How many activations does that 4,000pt list run you?

Adam.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The last one I played (I'm still at the point of changing formations each game, for a bit of variation) had 10 (2 of which were aircraft - a squadron of Phoenix bombers, and a Vampire containing my second Aspect Troupe).

Unfortunately, that game saw me plagued with bad luck (couldn't make saves, couldn't roll higher than a 3 for most of my assault attacks, and failed key activations), so I didn't get a particularly good chance to see how that list fared.