Login |  Register |  FAQ

The Ynnari

Post subject: The Ynnari
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone been keeping up to date with new WH40k lore updates? Regardless of if it's 'good' or not the thing that excites me is new in setting justification for mixing the Eldar factions.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to go about mixing the DE and CE in Epic?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The Ynnari
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In WH40k the Ynnari are basically a super aggressive Eldar army with special rules to encourage and reward completely annihilating enemy units rather than crippling multiple ones which rewards them with the ability to move and attack more effectively starting the feedback cycle again.

So, throwing ideas at the wall I'm going to look at the army wide rules first.

Both Eldar share Hit and Run, Cannot Garrison, Lance and Webway Portal so I'd keep those.

Spirit Stones, Shadow Fields and Holofields are equipment that things are equipped with so I'd keep those too.

Farsight and Fleet of Foot I'd drop as they are unique to the specific factions and based on the specific doctrines of those factions and internal cohesion that way. The Ynnari are new and an amalgam so unlikely to have that level of cohesion.

The Avatar I'd keep too, statwise the Avatar of Ynnead vs the Avatar of Khaine...they're broadly both brutal in CC, Ynnead is a Psyker while Khaine has the Wailing Doom...at Epic scale I'd keep them the same. If we wanted ot make them feel different it could be worth looking at how they enter the table. Khaine gets summoned from near to a Farseer while in WH40k Ynnead deep strikes in/manifests from somewhere after enough people have died. Avatar of Ynnead might do a teleport arrival anywhere within 15cm of a formation that has been completely wiped out (owning player chooses to use this at the trigger event or not)? Use the position of one of the models in the formation at the time it has been destroyed, place the Avatar anywhere within 15cm of that unit, it can be activated as normal from then on. Remove at the end of the turn as normal. It's less consistent and reliable than Khaine so harder to plan your attacks around but also harder for the other player to position to avoid and can't wipeout the farseers to prevent it arriving.

Other proposed army wide stuff...

Transports - DE and CE models can be picked up and transported any formation assigned transports and can share War Engine Transports and Spacecraft carrying them (mostly just update the unit entries to explain the expanded transport capacities).

Soulburst...is the 40k faction special rule...it's causing uproar over there as broken but basically amounts to 'when you wipe out an enemy unit an Ynnari unit within range gets to make a free action, even out of turn'. Which in epic...just no. Something as a buff when wiping out an enemy formation would be fitting in Epic but no idea what. Maybe something for morale or something to keep them moving in a fight...spitballing here...If you completely destroy an enemy formation in an engagement the engaing formation and all formations that provided firefight support may consolidate (bear in mind hit and run).

Might play a bit of havoc with spamming small formations for activations meta - those small formations get wiped more easily and in turn provide the additional consolidation...urghh, I can see ways that would be horrible to play against and going against the grain of Epic rules tending towards low power but reliable and possible to factor into strategies and plans consistently rather than relying on somehting big happening witht he turn of a die.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm working my way throught the supplements at the moment - just for the articles of course ;) - and was considering doing the "echoes of war" at epic scale too.

Scutarii wrote:
Soulburst...is the 40k faction special rule...

This (and the ability to mix and match Eldar, Dark Eldar and Harlequins) are the defining features, I think. I agree that it is difficult to port directly to Epic scale. I was considering something like this:

"Soulburst: For every enemy unit destroyed in an engagement by a formation where a unit has this special rule, the enemy formation suffers an additional hit, allocated as part of the Supporting Fire step"

to represent additional (40K scale) shooting and charging by the engaging formation.

I'd then assign "Soulburst" to the Ynnari believers (ie, INF units, not vehicles etc).

For limitations, I'd suggest prohibiting Titans, Superheavies and aircraft entirely. They're a breakaway splinter faction as yet, at this time, with no heavy armouries to draw upon.

The Avatar of Ynnead - you could let it be summoned once every turn, but only if an enemy formation was completely destroyed by a formation that included the Soulburst rule earlier the same turn, of if a formation with the Soulburst rule was completely destroyed earlier the same turn. That would also reward hyper-aggressive play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SpeakerToMachines wrote:
"Soulburst: For every enemy unit destroyed in an engagement by a formation where a unit has this special rule, the enemy formation suffers an additional hit, allocated as part of the Supporting Fire step"

to represent additional (40K scale) shooting and charging by the engaging formation.

I'd then assign "Soulburst" to the Ynnari believers (ie, INF units, not vehicles etc).

Hmmm, that's basically 'each hit in an engagement is worth 2 hits'. That seems a hard sell. Maybe switch the timing on the allocation to combat resolution so if you win the engagement you remove additional enemy models. Basically rather than making them more likely to win the engagement (by giving extra hits) you make them more likely to outright wipe out the enemy if they do win (by removing extra models)?

SpeakerToMachines wrote:
For limitations, I'd suggest prohibiting Titans, Superheavies and aircraft entirely. They're a breakaway splinter faction as yet, at this time, with no heavy armouries to draw upon.

Looking at the stuff in the 40k formation I agree on the titans and superheavies, not so the aircraft (I'd maybe include the transport aircraft too) as they have them available. Maybe add the Wraithknight too.

Also no Mandrakes, no Haemonculi Coven, no Talos as they all explicitly rejected this new God.

SpeakerToMachines wrote:
The Avatar of Ynnead - you could let it be summoned once every turn, but only if an enemy formation was completely destroyed by a formation that included the Soulburst rule earlier the same turn, of if a formation with the Soulburst rule was completely destroyed earlier the same turn. That would also reward hyper-aggressive play.

I think you'd then need to pay some points for it rather than the freebie it currently is because of the repeated appearances.