Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Iyanden Craftworld V 4.2.4- Approval Assessment

Post subject: Re: Iyanden Craftworld V 4.2.4- Approval Assessment
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I tend to agree Jim (and Mic). In other lists, Aspects provide the capability of a triple retain (together with titans and Avatar which the lists have in common). In this list list the Aspects are weaker, so having the Wraithseer with this capability is not excessive IMHO. The Eldar triple retain is always a fearsome beast when executed with major formations - but it is hard to set up especially against mobile opponents.

My only other comment is that Aspects in this list are possibly too weak / cheap. Has anyone tried spamming them (it could be an "interesting" test)? I think I would possibly prefer the E-UK approach of formations of six Aspects for 250, if only because it would prevent this (Note I have not yet tried this . . .)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I appreciate the irritation of the 2+ initiative, however Aspects don't have the farsight rule so are not auto retaining and as most people only play small point games (3000) with a few crucial engagements per turn it's an unnecessary buff. Also it forces the use of portals for the eldar player and has a little risk strategy that can produced big wins.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Consul Avenging Angel wrote:
I appreciate the irritation of the 2+ initiative, however Aspects don't have the farsight rule so are not auto retaining and as most people only play small point games (3000) with a few crucial engagements per turn it's an unnecessary buff. Also it forces the use of portals for the eldar player and has a little risk strategy that can produced big wins.
True Aspects don't have farsight but the Iyandens first activation rarely have 1+ initiative so its kind of similar...

The risk is the Stormserpents, if they loose the strategy roll or if the enemy has scouts that is in the way, the Stormserpents is a big target to deathstrikes and spaceships to name a few. Once lost the enemy just has to keep a good distance to the remaining gate to be kind of "safe". And depending on the number of formations in the warp the Iyanden might also suffer from a big activation drawback if they can't field all formations on turn 1.
Its a sometimes boring 1 shot weapon, I agree. (tripple move SS, engage 1, engage 2 =almost win or loose the game) But there are several armies with this kind of strategy and you need to roll 2+ two times to pull it off, the first roll without a reroll.

The thing that strikes me as perhaps too powerful is their ability to move full speed when they consolidate. This makes the tripple retain/engage much more powerful as you are more likely to get into supporting range.

Anyone keeping track on how the Iyanden is doing? (win/loose ratio) Perhaps they need a nerf, they feel kind of stable to me but I might be wrong :)...?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok fair enough I don't have an Iyanden army so don't want to poke holes in it's composition. I would also like to see a win/lose ratio that might change my opinion. :geek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:54 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Fresh Battle report

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=30191&p=572324#p572324

4-0 to Iyanden in 3 turns vs Thousand Sons

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The Wraithseer 1+ didn't have much effect in this game, but it does feel wrong playing with it.

When playing with Iyanden they are very powerful especially against forces with limited longthe last range shooting, as shown in two games I've played with them.

One game they failed to get initiative in the first three turns, but pulled out a draw. Last game they won the firsttwo turns which really hurt the Thousand Sons who had limited shooting back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
That equals 53%/37%/10%

That looks like its overpowered to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You cant base if something is OP just of winrate. You need to factor in if the rule had and significance in each report and who the opponent is, as i doesn't matter how good or bad the list is or a rule is if the user is more skilled at epic in general then the opponent or vice versa.

I know in the games I have played vs Iyanden and the ones I have seen maybe in 2 out of i think roughly 8 has the rule had an impact and even in those 2 being 1+ or 2+ would not have changed the outcome of the activation or the game.

To me if you think triple retaining is OP with 1+ look at the triple retain as every Eldar army has some way of doing something similar to what the Iyanden do.

But hey these are just my lowly pleb thoughts so take them with a grain of salt :)

Caz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was assuming that these factors balance out, experienced players vs inexperienced players and a variety of different armies in 54 games. It's a small thing that gets out of hand, mainly born out of a irritation of 2+ initiative after all the formation would be retaining on a 2+ anyhow. ::)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes that seems about right, I'll stop my whinge shall I.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

FWIW, the E-UK stats tend to have a higher-than-average Draw rate due to the time pressures in the tournament environment. 48% - 41% (26 wins - 22 losses) seems pretty good so far

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:16 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Interesting stats I am surprised that there are not more draws.

I'd say that the EUK stats show more draws as a result of evening out of player skills more than time nowadays

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PFE100 wrote:
Thank for replying guys..

I went and recounted, the games to confirm the above numbers in last post, to be sure. I had feeling that they may have been off and I was right.. I hate sitting a RPG session and know you cant respond till later .. :{[] So the numbers are 26/22/6, which gives a 48%/41%/11% . Are well I'm only human.... :) :)

That's pretty close to the target and the target was 50%. I'm happy to be + or - 3% either side of that. Yes other AC's may have a different target, but I think 50% mark is about right...
Just to avoid misunderstandings this time :)
Where did you get these numbers from?
Do we really got 50+ play tests with this list?
Also it is a little bit confusing when the numbers is turned into %. Did you really aim at 50% win when counting draws? If you only count win/loss ratio its about 54% win and 46% loss. Not that bad on such a small sample rate...

Ginger wrote:
FWIW, the E-UK stats tend to have a higher-than-average Draw rate due to the time pressures in the tournament environment. 48% - 41% (26 wins - 22 losses) seems pretty good so far
I wouldn't look too much at EpicUK, the two lists look very different now and about half of all games played with UK list is played by RichardL. If you take away his results the win ratio is only about 30% :)

Anyway its a too small sample, both UK and NetEA but we might see a trend...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next