Login |  Register |  FAQ

So ... where's the Exodite Intel ?

Post subject: So ... where's the Exodite Intel ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I know they don't use Falcons, but Storm Serpents for transport. But how about leadership ? A Lord in a Knight, yes ? Where can I find all this intel and more ? 8)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: So ... where's the Exodite Intel ?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Um, are you looking for 'official' background info, or just home-brew army list stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I very much doubt they would use Storm Serpents or tanks of any description. They choose to live primitively and ride around on dinosaurs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I've found one old Citadel Journal that has a list which says they don't use Falcons but Wave Serpents, the another fan based list from here that says they use Storm Serpents ... instead of Wave Serpents ... :-\ I'm leaning torward Storm Serpents ... :geek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:
Um, are you looking for 'official' background info, or just home-brew army list stuff?

Official, if there is such a thing ... :-\

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There was about a page of background given for exodites in the warhammer 40k 2nd edition eldar codex. That is the best source for info, although it's so old that GW will certainly change any/all of it if they ever make new 28mm models for the faction.

There is some older fluff in the white dwarf that introduced epic knights - 126 I think, but the exodite portion of that reference is minuscule if I recall correctly.

Finally, there are the limited release epic exodite Dino-rider minis from 20 years ago. Those imply the faction uses no vehicles, but without an accompanying army list, it's hard to say what GW had intended. For all anyone knows, the Dino-riders could have just been intended to be a sub-faction, like dark eldar wyches.

I think the general online consensus (if such a thing is possible) is that the exodites are like the Native American tribes that followed the buffalo herds around the Great Plains. Except they follow dragon (read: dinosaur) herds. They have some permanent settlements where the world gate and world stone sites are, and probably where they keep their big guns and knight walkers.

There's enough holes in the available info that you could probably cram whatever you want into an exodite list. You could always hand wave certain stuff as being corsair or craftworld colonial troops that operate off of that particular maiden world. Like all good (read: bad) fan fiction, you just have to use some convoluted reasoning to explain why lord Voldemort is allowed to get two supreme commander rerolls per turn because he is equipped with the one ring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's what I got from Primarch - http://www.netepic.org/netepic.html

Worth a look ! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Exodite stats from old CJ ... 8)

Attachments:
scan0009.JPG
scan0009.JPG [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 5217 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
Here's what I got from Primarch - http://www.netepic.org/netepic.html

Worth a look ! 8)

Most of that exodite background info is simple rephrasing of the text in the 40k 2nd Ed Eldar codex. The troop list is home brew for the most part.

Basically, an army list designer has to come up with some solution to the problem of transporting the exodite infantry. Wave serpents are an easy solution because they already have models. I would almost prefer giving them raiders (if models were available) since those seem wilder and less high tech.

Other, more creative solutions are possible. Exodite use the webway as much as the other eldar do, so storm serpents or other forms of mobile gates are reasonable. They were farsighted enough to flee well ahead of the fall, and rangers get their cameleoline cloaks from the exodites, so maybe they could use deep strike instead of transports to represent them sneakng into forward positions.

In the end, though, if they don't use transport vehicles, they end up playing wildly different from the way 'normal' eldar play. There is the possibility that an exodite force would be a slow, footslogger army, which some eldar fans might disapprove of.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So ... who commands ? An Exodite Lord on Dino or in a Knight ? I've seen either or both in the various rules ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, per the 2nd edition 40k codex, dragon lords could be taken as squad leaders in exodite dragon rider squads. Back in second edition 'lord' was often used as a generic term for the highest rank of hero of a given type. WFB still uses similar terminology.

I've also heard (with no proof that I can dig up at the moment) that the name given on the GW web store for the epic scale exodite T Rex was 'the king' (back when they were available as bitz before E:A was released). That was probably a play on the fact that the dragon being ridden was clearly a T-Rex (rex means king).

In the end, I'd say that it's reasonable to allow the king/supreme commander of the army to either be on foot, on a regular (horse sized) dino, on the big T. Rex sized dino, or in a knight walker vehicle.

I doubt anyone will give you any grief for any of those options.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Many Thanks semajnollissor ... I may just make the option of a T-Rex or Knight ... As well as the standard troop transport/molbile Web Gate being the Storm Serpent ...