Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ulthwe v4.1

Post subject: Re: Ulthwe v4.1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Redgeran wrote:

TL;DR

1. Change Black Guardians to Initiative 2+.
2. Upgrade BGs FF to 3+. Maybe replace second Farseer with another BG. Mess with points as needed. Or leave stats alone and decrease points because of Initiative change.
3. Provide a 50 point 0-1 Portable Webway Portal (like EpicUK Dark Eldar) upgrade to BG formation that can only be used once per game and only be used by the upgraded BG formation in question. ANY farseer can deploy the portal.
4. Normal BG upgrades for wave serpent and non-wave serpent formations remain the same. Maybe upgrade Heavy Weapon Platform to FF 4+.
5. Provide Dark Reaper upgrade to non-WS BG formation. 2 for 75 points, maybe 2-4 for 75-150 points, exarch upgrade for 25 points standard.

Whoa, first, thanks for the thoughts! :)

About the main direction, I also have the same things in my mind -but with a bit different results.

First of all, I think BG are "poor mans aspect warriors", so they should have a close relation to them, but without the special skills, and equipment -remember, eldar live long enough to be good warriors on their own, and BG units are professionals. So they are the elite strike force of Ulthwé (the key word is Strike Force), they should be elite somehow.

Some of your thoughts are closing the NetEA list to the EpicUK (which is a bit more balanced -and because of this a bit less "unique" -and as far as I remember, they don't have normal Guardian units), which is a path I don't want to follow :) Simply because NetEA lists have NetEA opponents, as EpicUK ones have EpicUK opponents. They are balanced against each other! For me, NetEA is a bit more free, and less uniformized, than EpicUK.

My starting point is the current lists, and I don't think that radical changes are needed -more like a balancing (by points, by restrictions, by re-structuring), to get the Ulthwé flavour more (I'd like to stick to the fluff).

The key points are the webway, the BG and the SR5 in my list -as you also pointed them out (which is of course a positive feedback :D ). Mixing Aspect and Guardian units is not on my list now (however interesting idea, but I want to keep the list "clean", or less complicated).

The problem with Ulthwé's style of play is the great use of swift, lightning attacks, with jetbikes, Black Guardians, etc, with the great use of wraithgates -however in Epic, every eldar army is allowed to take webway gates! Don't mix them with Dark Eldar (they have limited Webway capabilities -so no Stormserpent, only the Landing Modul has one, which is virtually their battle titan), they are more light&fast then the eldar!
So a new solution is needed here, but with keeping the eldar basic special rules.

Thank you for your thoughts, they all are needed to make a good, flexible and balanced list!:)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm looking forward to it pati. I can definitely understand the conservative mentality while maintaining the NetEA spirit. Once BT and iyanden are finished up I hope to proVide some feedback and maybe some BRs as well. Anyway I can help really. I really love the ulthwe background. All depends of course on how busy school gets. Hopefully this summer gives me some extra time to attend to my hobbyist needs! ;D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting.

I used the EpicUK list last night and didn't realise that there was such a difference (was also my first time using Eldar).

There are a lot of differences in points with some units. the Pheonix Bombers being 100 puts different.

Fire Prisms are more lethal in this list I would say

Will have to try using this list and see about the subtleties between the two.

Cheers for the development of the list.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And please be aware, that EpicUK lists has EpicUK opponents, so they are balanced against each other, "in the same universe" :)

So there are also differences in the concept of the 2 systems -as I mentined many times before!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They are not that different.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

maybe the difference between Ulthwé-Ulthwé there's not much difference, but between for exmple Blood Angels lists, it's a big one. So playing EpicUK Ulthwé gainst NetEA BA won't be the same result..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think that my drum may be wearing out, but I'll keep on banging it.

The thing to consider with different types of list for the same army is that they are just another variable in the game you are playing. Other things that change are position & size of scenery; who you are playing; luck of the dice. If Steve54 and I took exactly the same list to a tournament we would still play it differently.

However we are still playing the same rules.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:53 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

pati wrote:
And please be aware, that EpicUK lists has EpicUK opponents, so they are balanced against each other, "in the same universe" :)

So there are also differences in the concept of the 2 systems -as I mentined many times before!

Not perhaps the best example given the state of the netEA BA list.

The rules are pretty much the same for EpicUK and NetEA and IMO a list balanced for one is most likely balanced for the other but stylistically different. Of far bigger importance for testing is the terrain rules used where the differences aren't netEA/Epic UK but geographical. That's a whole can of worms though

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So played a game with the list tonight.

It was an interesting experience, not sure I took the right style of list for Ulthwe 2975
GUARDIAN WARHOST [300]
4 Guardians, Seer Council, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform, 3 Support Weapon Platforms

GUARDIAN WARHOST (MOUNTED) [350]
4 Wave Serpents, 4 Guardians, Farseer, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform

BLACK GUARDIAN WARHOST (MOUNTED) [400]
4 Wave Serpents, 6 Guardians, 2 Farseer

WAR WALKER TROUPE [150]
4 War Walker

WINDRIDER TROUPE [200]
6 Jetbike

SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [250]
5 Falcon

NIGHT SPINNER TROUPE [175]
3 Night Spinners

ENGINE OF VAUL TROUPE [250]
Scorpion

RANGER TROUPE [100]
4 Ranger

PHOENIX BOMBERS [400]
3 Phoenix Bombers

SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [250]
5 Falcon

GUARDIAN WARHOST [150]
4 Guardians, Farseer, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform

I played against a Skittarii list. I had some pretty bad dice rolls but overall I think the list that I took lacked cohesion and punch. I liked the formations of Fireprisms and Falcons.

What would people say to change about the list that I took?
I would really like to give the Ulthewe list more of a go, especially as it is still being tested.

One final thing, I used the Biel Tan reference sheet, but not all the units are on there so I used the missing ones from the Ulthwe sheets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:56 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for posting your thoughts Rug, will make for an interesting discussion when we get to revising the Ulthwe.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Also Rug, unless I'm misunderstanding (which may be a distinct possibility!) The EUK list only has 2 formations at int1+.... black guardians in the EUK list are int2+ (to stop the possibility of an automatic double-retain)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
Also Rug, unless I'm misunderstanding (which may be a distinct possibility!) The EUK list only has 2 formations at int1+.... black guardians in the EUK list are int2+ (to stop the possibility of an automatic double-retain)

The NetEA list got downgraded to Developmental over just that issue, so I'm not sure you can count that as a point in favor of it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next