Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Iyanden v4.1

Post subject: Re: Iyanden v4.1
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I still support the 3 troops/warhost -as with Ulthwé, it's hard to build a list around the core formations -especiall in case of expensive formations, like WG..

Try these unit compositions for the same points cost!
-4wg+ Serpents
-6WG on foot
-4WG+2 WLords? as an upgrade! :) let's just combine them, to see how they work!

All with 2+, without bonus, but with farsight.

Living few- just reduce the number of Guardians, like 0-1 for every 2000p! Maybe make aspects as 0-2. There's no need to reduce the number of tanks, AA, aircraft, titans, etc..
Thoughts?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thats just adding alot of unit specific restrictions. Make wraithguards and wraithlords core units and allow 2 support for each core unit.

The list is supposed to have a drawback you know. Less activations might be it. I don't see why that is a problem. This is not an ordinary eldar list. If you want lots of guardians and just a few WG:s i would suggest using the Biel-tan list.

Init 2+for WG and a stricter living few are cahnges that fiddles the least with cost and balance. Every other change that has been suggested here is more complicated...

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
The list is supposed to have a drawback you know. Less activations might be it. I don't see why that is a problem. This is not an ordinary eldar list. If you want lots of guardians and just a few WG:s i would suggest using the Biel-tan list.

Try to stick to the topic, and don't go personally. I also understand that you don't agree, from your previous posts. Besides your opinion, there are others, who has a different toughts. It's free to share them, you know. :)

I just try to walk around the problem, and be creative -not use another eldar list's drawback, and name it another way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's nothing personal in mordotens post whatsoever. Differences noted. Let's move on with more testing.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm still surprised the ERC don't make that call to take a vote now on the basis of the ACs poor performance and him not posting for 8 months, but even if they drag this out as long as possible for some reason it'll likely still only be a month and a half till he won't have logged in for 3 months, which isn't that long to wait in the scheme of things.

Given that Iyanden is the most overpowered Eldar list, in need of the most work and with a lot of different idea of what should be done with it, would it not make a lot more sense to playtest the core Biel-tann list first and the changes that effect all Eldar lists and then move on to this in time once a new AC has been appointed?

Things I have in mind to test:
Testing changes to the Scorpion - 75cm range vs 3MW shots?
Howling Banshees with 3+ infantry only MW attacks (I like the change to inf-MW but wonder if they should drop to a 4+ inf-MW as 3+ seems a bit OTT - testing could see)
Phantom Titan with 3 TK Pulsars - overpowered? (could keeping the old stats but dropping the cost to 700-725 be a simpler fix for the rarely seen unit?)
Phoenix Bombers - way overpriced at the moment and in need of a big cost reduction? The Epic-UK ones are statted the same but costed at 300 points rather than 400.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In case of Iyanden, the WG problem should be solved first.. Some of your highlighted points could be tested in other mainstream/more popular lists/topics, like Biel-tan, to make it faster!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Folks, if we need to have MIA AC conversation then let's start a thread for it in epiccoms where it is approriate. It has no business in the development threads (I'm guilty of it too).

Now back to elder, I agree with Patti that the WG Iyanden Living Few issues should probably be tackled first, at least in this thread. You have some great points on the above Glyng but they are more general faction wide concerns (correct me if I am wrong here) and worthy of attention but probably should be taken into their own thread. Iyanden is probably not the best place to trial those and even if done, deserve a specific conversation about them to be recorded. After all, not all Elder players are going to look to this thread for general faction testing/issues.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Andrew_NZ wrote:
The two (three?) things that strike me are:

(1) Automatic triple retain. This comes from Init 2+, upgraded with the Spirit Seer initiative rule (moving to Init 1+), and the Spirit Seer farsight rule (keeping Init 1+ on a retain and allowing an extra retain).

(2) Large Powerful Tough Fearless formations sitting on objectives. Webgate, Vampire, Wave Serpent, or Garrison, delivers them on location and the opponent can't shift them.

(3) Cheap extra supporting formations. The Living Few weak rule gives the impression of not restricting the number of supporting units. In fact even the proposed strong versions lets you pad with other formations anyway.

Solutions (?):

(1) Spirit Seer loses the +1 on initiative but retains Farsight. The Wraith Seer keeps both along with supreme commander.

(2) Reduce stats on the Wraithguard, eg, make Wraith Cannon, small arms, MW without the extra attack. This gets rid of 6 dice in assault, keeps it fluffy with a MW attack. Also gives an extra MW attack guided by the better perception of the world as provided by the Spirit Seer's vision, EA+1.
ALSO
Make the mounted option: remove 2 wraithguard and add 4 Wave Serpents for 100 points (or 150 points).

(3) Use 2 Troupes per War Host taken. Change The Living Few rule to match the Epic UK one.

I agree with all three of these recommendations. The mounted formation option is a great idea - giving a more affordable mobile Wraithguard unit, without suddenly having 12 RA units zooming across the table.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree totally with point 1 and 3. That big changes for the list but still doesn't fiddle with points or formation sizes.

The other where pretty interesting too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Andrew_NZ wrote:
PFE100, in the recent game report had 5 of his smaller Wraithguard formations, FOUR of them mounted up in Wave Serpents. This mades a 8 unit strong, tough mobile formations for 575 points. This is also in the context of a large 5000 point game. The test with a "four strong" formation was actually a test of a wave serpent mounted wraithguard formation. With eight RA 4+ units in the formation I'd expect them to perform well.

The current standard mounts Wraithguard formation is 12 units for 650 points. This is a huge formation and given the capability of the units really bigger than it needs to be for most tactical situations. In my experience the mounted wraithguard are so scary and so costly that it is a realistic strategy to just avoid them, as you may well do if not equipped to take on a titan. Couple that with shooting out one or two transports and you have pulled their teeth (somewhat).

I'd happily play with the proposed smaller mounted wraithguard formations but 4 unit strong foot formations would be a non-starter. Consider a standard upgraded guardian formation (Farseer, 7 Guardians, 3 Wraithguard) for 300 points. Sorry, 4 Wraithguard plus a Spirit Seer for 375 points makes NO SENSE.

I was interested in tracking down what happened with PFE100's foot Spirit Host. This emerged from a Wraith Gate on (the extreme flank? in) turn two for an engagement backed up by 3 engines of vaul, then marched to sit on an objective turn three. It only just survived unbroken from ONE formation firing at it in turn 3. Not a lot of utility for a 375 points formation. But pretty well handled tactically, I must say.

I love my Iyanden army and would like to see it move towards approved. To do that requires convincing people WHO DON'T PLAY ELDAR and who REFUSE TO PLAY IYANDEN that all is now OK; that the list is balanced, . . . ? Identifying the objections more clearly might help? Some of it is to do with the Eldar special rules in general but, . . . .

The two (three?) things that strike me are:

(1) Automatic triple retain. This comes from Init 2+, upgraded with the Spirit Seer initiative rule (moving to Init 1+), and the Spirit Seer farsight rule (keeping Init 1+ on a retain and allowing an extra retain).

(2) Large Powerful Tough Fearless formations sitting on objectives. Webgate, Vampire, Wave Serpent, or Garrison, delivers them on location and the opponent can't shift them.

(3) Cheap extra supporting formations. The Living Few weak rule gives the impression of not restricting the number of supporting units. In fact even the proposed strong versions lets you pad with other formations anyway.

Solutions (?):

(1) Spirit Seer loses the +1 on initiative but retains Farsight. The Wraith Seer keeps both along with supreme commander.

(2) Reduce stats on the Wraithguard, eg, make Wraith Cannon, small arms, MW without the extra attack. This gets rid of 6 dice in assault, keeps it fluffy with a MW attack. Also gives an extra MW attack guided by the better perception of the world as provided by the Spirit Seer's vision, EA+1.
ALSO
Make the mounted option: remove 2 wraithguard and add 4 Wave Serpents for 100 points (or 150 points).

(3) Use 2 Troupes per War Host taken. Change The Living Few rule to match the Epic UK one.
I also think these are good suggestions and number 1 and 3 have been mentioned before. But do we really need to implement all three at the same time?
And just for the record: the Wave serpents have 5+ RA not 4+ and the Wraithguards cannot garrison... :)

How about if we try it out with 1 and 3 first without messing with the points. if we were to reduce the stats I think we need to lower the points. Not saying that it is a bad suggestion but that would need to affect all Eldar lists...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only one I would not want to see unless absolutely necessary is the changing of stats. This would be hard to do since it affects the biel tan list, in which I think the WG have a very nice and carefully balanced niche - the doubling of the guardian formation cost is justified by how they synergise with the rest of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with Solutions point 1 & 3 (initiative 2+ on WG units, 1+ for Wraith Seer) and feel that Wraith Guard should be in units of 4 as a base formation size with the ability to add 1-2 more. They should also count as 2 infantry units for transport purposes (Wave Serpent and Vampire Raider). These changes will necessitate a point value adjustment but I feel that the size of the units is in line with both the fluff and the effectiveness of these units.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Points 1 and 3 dies not make it neccesary for a points change, thats the good thing with thoose points.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, the post for the new Eldar AC is out.
Hopefully we will have a new champion within a couple of weeks :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next