Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Fir Iolarion Eldar Titan Clan List 2.2

Post subject: Re: Fir Iolarion Eldar Titan Clan List 2.2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:
[color=#00FF00]*Sounds of Eldar Magic* *Wraithbone knitting* *Giant Silhouettes out of the Mists* The Return of the Eldar Titan Clan

Hurrah! My Marines have been on the receiving end of the Eldar Titan Clan on numerous occasions, so great to see some further movement.

Quote:
Titan Weapons
Issues were too few options, too few AP/AT, too much BP and too muck TK. I have revamp some of the “Classic” weapons and invented some new ones. I also have 2 changes to current weapons I like to test. If they work then I’ll propose to Specter Ghost to adjust all Eldar lists to match. I’m dropping range attack to the Powerfist and for the Titan Pulsar we increased the range to 90cm. All the following are arm weapons that Battle Titans can take. Tremor, Star, Bright and Tri ML are classics re-imaged or newly added. Fusion, D-Cannon and Psychic are unchanged but listed for reference.

I'm glad to see some changes here – from my experience the Pulsar was always the go-to weapon, so seeing some improvements to the others along with some new weapons with different emphases (anti-personnel, for example) is great. I'm also pleased to see the power fist lose its ranged attack – while backed-up by previous editions, it always sat a bit oddly with me.

The new additions look good, but have you considered changing the names to avoid confusion with other Eldar weapons? The Starcannon, for example, already exists elsewhere in the Epic lists. Perhaps you might change it to Titan Suncannon? That's the name of a weapon on the new 'Wraithknight' from 40k; it'd be a nice way to introduce a new weapon with a link to a 'canon' weapon.

The addition of the sword would be cool – I'd suggest that it adds more Extra Attacks, but that are just MW. This would differentiate it from the power fist somewhat and give it a different role.

Quote:
Garrison Formations
Some suggested allowing more units to garrison to help with the slow movement of the ETC. Ay thoughts on this? Maybe allowing all Infantry formations to garrison? Or allowing Revenants too?

No, I think this is an important weakness of the list – all the Titan lists struggle with contesting objectives early on, and the Eldar are relatively quick (ameliorating this problem); so I'd leave it as-is.
Quote:
Bonesinger Blessing
There was a lot of traction for having Eldar Titan the ability to regain DC. Bonesinger Blessing – In the End phase after formations rally, the unbroken Titan may regenerate 1 DC (Up to Starting Capacity)
Break Their Spirit
Concern was that Warlock was ALWAYS BTS. With no upgrades with standard weapons the Warlock comes in 100 ahead of the Phantom. Not much to fix their, but I allowed Phantom to take the Wraithseer (SC) so that isn’t another 75 auto. Also having more and most upgrades on the Phantom makes it more possible to have a Phantom BTS.

Relating to both of these points, the original Codex Titanicus mentioned that 'Because of the high degree of co-ordination afforded by having the crew in deep mental rapport, various functions are performed more efficiently than would be possible for a Human Titan crew. One such function is repair, and Phantoms gain a +1 bonus to all repair rolls'.

I realise it's very old background relating to outdated rules, and that the Phantom is only mentioned specifically because it was the sole Eldar model at the time, but I thought it offered a nice opportunity to give the Phantom repair as a special rule exclusive to it. This gives it an advantage over the Warlock (it can be explained that the Warlock's Wraithcircuit is tied up in maintaining the psychic link or something, while the Phantom's is free).

This'd give the Phantom a distinctive role as a more martial, aggressive Titan and explain why it's the mainstay in Eldar forces, and lead the Warlock into slightly more of a support role, which fits the background nicely.

If you're concerned with it causing imbalance with other lists, it could be an upgrade exclusive to the Phantom in the ETC list – called 'Triplet crew', 'Steersman', 'Mental Rapport' or similar.

Bonesinger
Relating to the above point, I like SpeakerToMachines' idea that the Bonesinger provides an Invulnerable Save to the equipped Titan. Nice and simple, and adds another option.

The thing that's always put me off Eldar Titans is the lack of customisability compared to Imperial or Ork equivalents. Your new weapons and potential for some options to make individual Titans more interesting (and removing no-brainer weapon combos)will make hte list a lot more interesting.

Knights
STM's suggestions on Knights look good to me too.

General note
I like the combination of older material with newer material, so is there space for the Wraithknight? I'm not a particular fan of the thing, but I think it's important to offer players as many options as possible, as it could be the thing that gets a new player into the game. :)

The rules could be very similar to a Fire Gale, but perhaps with Wraithsight and some different weapon options. I'd suggest Suncannon (a lower-powered version of the Titan Suncannon you have above) and shimmershield; or twin Wraithcannons (some short-ranged TK weaponry).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good Points that I have thought about and ones I haven't....

Quote:
Skimmed the 2.2.1 list posted and have a few comments:
- Phantom Titan: Doesn't have the Autarch upgrade listed.
- Revenant Titan: At those costs, nobody will take them in pairs. I'd suggest pricing 1 at 350, and the twin at 300.
- Titan Autarch: A bit pricy for a Supreme commander - the comparable Marine or AMTL capability costs 50 points.
- The list structure (expensive core formations, small number of support formations) makes it difficult to hit a round number when building lists. Suggest making the Wraithlord and Guardian troupes a bit more variable in size (eg 4-8 Wraithlords, or 6 guardians + 3 or 6 platforms).
- The Phoenix bomber formation is a bit overpriced at 400 (common to all Eldar lists). Suggest pricing it at 350.

Autarch added and renamed to Warithseer already.

I'm not convince with Revenant Spam yet. I haven't see it yet and barring other Core options are that OR 600+, I think will leave in till someone abuses it.

IIRC 75 is the same price for SC ability in the other Eldar lists.

I think with new weapons, upgrades etc hitting the mark won't be that bad. Right now you are granted 2 Support Troupes per Titan, which I encourage because this is a Titan list + some stuff.

Phoenix Bomber is going to have same cost, stats etc with the main Eldar list. I'm not adjusting Non-Titan items in an Experimental list. I'll leave that to SG and another testing group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologist glad to see you on board. You and Speaker might be the most active playtesters of this list.

Names, stats etc on weapons are completely up for tweaking. I just penned some of the idea of the weapons and needs of the game. I looked for a Starcannon in Epic to base the Titan weapons off of, there is none lol. Any thought on Firepower on any of them?

Garrison I'm indifferent about, but the issue was raised, if no other traction for it arises then we can drop the idea.

Bonesinger ability, I'm not inclined to have 2 new special rules about saves or regenerating. I am inclined to make this upgrade Phantom only to encourage their use and to focus attention from the Warlock being an auto-select. I don't think Inv Save is going to effect the change people want, they already have amazing Holo saves. I think the ability to repair after taken damage is key.

Bonesinger Upgrade Ability Thingy (Official Working Title)

In the End phase after formations rally, the unbroken Titan may regenerate (1 DC Auto OR D3 DC OR ???)

OR

Bonesinger Action (aka Special Action using your activation for the turn)

When taking a Bonesinger action you may make 1 move and then regenerate D6 DC.

As for Knights I'm not overly found of them and tier not the most critical part of the list. I'm hoping someone will take up ACing an Exdotie list and giving them the reins. Barring that make some suggestions and supporting argument. With the new Wraithknight I think can easily be messed with the other knights instead of a new unit, plus its seems more Iyanden ish? I have no idea about it, haven't bought 40k stuff in 5 years? Post or PM stats/scan of the info and I can take a look over it.

Thanks for the support and thoughts!

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

I'm not convince with Revenant Spam yet. I haven't see it yet and barring other Core options are that OR 600+, I think will leave in till someone abuses it.

I'm not worried about spam, it's more a matter of providing a good reason for taking them in pairs.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

IIRC 75 is the same price for SC ability in the other Eldar lists.

In other lists, it also comes with Inspiring, Invulnerable save and +1 EA MW. For a plain Supreme Commander, I think 50 points is a fairer price.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

I think with new weapons, upgrades etc hitting the mark won't be that bad. Right now you are granted 2 Support Troupes per Titan, which I encourage because this is a Titan list + some stuff.

Will try it as is. However, my usual list building starts with constructing the Titans I'd like (based on model availability and what I think are appropriate upgrades for the force or mission story), and then filling up to the points limit with auxiliary forces. In this list, all the small pebbles (except scouts) are in the Titan upgrades.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

Phoenix Bomber is going to have same cost, stats etc with the main Eldar list. I'm not adjusting Non-Titan items in an Experimental list. I'll leave that to SG and another testing group.

OK

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

Garrison I'm indifferent about, but the issue was raised, if no other traction for it arises then we can drop the idea.

I don't think garrisoning is appropriate either, as long as the big gate is available.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

Bonesinger ability, I'm not inclined to have 2 new special rules about saves or regenerating. I am inclined to make this upgrade Phantom only to encourage their use and to focus attention from the Warlock being an auto-select. I don't think Inv Save is going to effect the change people want, they already have amazing Holo saves. I think the ability to repair after taken damage is key.

Bonesinger Upgrade Ability Thingy (Official Working Title)

In the End phase after formations rally, the unbroken Titan may regenerate (1 DC Auto OR D3 DC OR ???)

OR

Bonesinger Action (aka Special Action using your activation for the turn)

When taking a Bonesinger action you may make 1 move and then regenerate D6 DC.

Both seems a bit odd, Eldars don't strike me as a "regenerating" or "self-repairing" force. Isn't it simpler to just emphasize the resilience of Wraithbone? If you think Inv save is not enough, let the Bonesinger grant the Phantom a 4+RA instead.

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

As for Knights I'm not overly found of them and tier not the most critical part of the list. I'm hoping someone will take up ACing an Exdotie list and giving them the reins.

They do feel a little homeless, don't they?

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

Barring that make some suggestions and supporting argument. With the new Wraithknight I think can easily be messed with the other knights instead of a new unit, plus its seems more Iyanden ish? I have no idea about it, haven't bought 40k stuff in 5 years? Post or PM stats/scan of the info and I can take a look over it.

I think the Towering Destroyer is to all intents and purposes a Wraithknight... Or perhaps a Wraithknight is a Towering Destroyer + Fearless but with an Ini drop?

Angel_of_Caliban wrote:

Thanks for the support and thoughts!

You're welcome. Now, to find an opponent that won't run screaming at the sight of two or more Eldar Titans...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Regenerate D6 DC??? Thats crazy talk!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:04 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

mordoten wrote:
Regenerate D6 DC??? Thats crazy talk!

agreed!!

I'm with StoM, make it give a 4+ RA save instead

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had a playtest recently with the older version of the list in order to refresh ourselves for future playtesting once 2.3 is released. Fairly simple game that highlights a few of the issues we're addressing here – Warlock BTS/SC, overemphasis on MW TK weaponry, shooty power fist.

His list: Warlock with psychic lance and power fist, Phantom with two pulsars, Phantom with pulsar and power fist, pair of revenants with pulse lasers. My list was an AMTL list with three Reavers, two sentinel packs and some Thunderbolts.

Game played fairly evenly, with Titans being taken out on a tit-for-tat basis, until I won on objectives (2–1) by grabbing take and hold with sentinels.

Quote:
In other lists, [SC] also comes with Inspiring, Invulnerable save and +1 EA MW. For a plain Supreme Commander, I think 50 points is a fairer price.

It's worth noting that a SC is proportionally more valuable in an army with fewer formations (failures are more critical) and in one where the majority initiative is 1+. Also, access to Farsight means the Eldar Titan Clan rarely need worry about rerolls. I think 75's a fair price.

Phoenix bomber – Glad to hear it'll remain consistent.

Garrisoning – I agree with SpeakerToMachines; it's not particularly appropriate.

Bonesinger – Not convinced on the suggested changes, as they seem a bit extreme. If the intention is to give the Phantom a minor boost in order to improve it against the Warlock, perhaps you could look elsewhere?

My main objection to better armour or regenerating is that it's frustrating for the other player. It's already hard enough to hurt Eldar Titans. When you do, and they immediately regenerate, it's disheartening. I'd much prefer Phantoms to get something that helps them dish out damage, or improvement to morale or something, than another boost to their survivability.

Knights – For the record, neither I nor my Eldar Titan Clan-playing friend are fussed about Knights (the older ones or the new Wraithknight). I mention them only because they're included in the list. If you're not enthusiastic about them, I'd suggest you remove them. That 'frees them up' for a real Knight enthusiast to make another list (perhaps themed to Exodites, perhaps standalone, perhaps an alternative Titan Clan list).

Looking forward to 2.3! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

While not an expert by any means on the titan clans, one opportunity that I (and therefore potentially some others) would like to see if you are updating the titan weapon options is the return of the lascannon (or more correctly these days bright lance) wing weapon option. I think trading in one of the missile launcher wings for an improvement in AT is a reasonable option in some cases. My opinion might be biased by the fact that I have two of them on the paint desk now though. ;)

I'd also personally rather see war walkers as options over wraithlords, as they fit the scouting role that these support units would have.
The only other thing that I would like to see are some jetbikes. But then my Eldar are red...

Bonesinger Upgrade Ability Thingy - not sure its needed if the intent was to encourage phantoms to be taken. Additional weapons options will do that won't they? Perhaps if people want to keep it, it removes an additional blast marker (although that usually isn't a problem with these guys is it?) or similar.

+1 on steersman for the record.

Anyway nice work here guys, look forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matty_C wrote:
I [...]would like to see [...] the return of the lascannon (or more correctly these days bright lance) wing weapon option. I think trading in one of the missile launcher wings for an improvement in AT is a reasonable option in some cases.

Agreed; another option is always welcome. It means the Eldar player gets another decision to make – maintain the flak umbrella, or go for more direct damage?

Quote:
I'd also personally rather see war walkers as options over wraithlords, as they fit the scouting role that these support units would have.

This makes a lot of sense. Is it simply legacy that Wraithlords are so heavily present in this list?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apologist wrote:
This makes a lot of sense. Is it simply legacy that Wraithlords are so heavily present in this list?

I think it's also that the old plastic models are much more common. War Walkers make more sense to me too, but I think it's a problem that we keep tweaking lists in a way that makes them harder for some people to use. AMTL is considering dropping Sentinels for Crusaders, for example. Who in the world has 6mm Crusaders? The atomization of army lists so that you can out together 80% of several lists but 100% of none is frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My initial thought was 'wow, that is a lot of AA'. Has to be pretty much the harshest environment to fly a thunderbolt in!

Leaving aside the weapons and stuff, the list does look a bit all over the place. The wraitlords don't really fit, Titans aren't big wraithlords after all. Just looks like an excuse to assault out of a phantom. The Rangers look a bit like having cake and eating it. Not entirely sure why the Guardian formation is non standard? Standard Guardians with option for waveserpents would surely be fine? Unless it is all about no farseer, but that still doesn't explain the odd weapon platform or the numbers.

My intial thought would be for a Warlock with no weapons and 7 revenants with twin sonic cannon. Calming down I would still like an 850 warlock, 6 revenants, the gate of vaul and an upgrade for 50 points.

But with all that AA airpower might be pretty effective as enemy interceptors can't do much, especially if the phoenix bombers come down in price to match other lists.

But all those revenants probably aren't what you are aiming for. Might I suggest putting a 1+ next to the phantom? That way you would get a phantom and warlock as a standard baseline and reduce revenant spam, effective or otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with TRC on avoiding revenant spam. Why not use the same list structure as the AMTL list and allow 2 scout titan choices (1-2 revenants) for each battle titan (phantom and warlock) choice?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just because a formation can be "spammed" is not a reason to change it. Spam is for assholes - whom I do encounter as I do not, apparently with great fortune, do not encounter. Revenants are fun as is and , gee whiz, this is a game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, that may be true. But when a list becomes approved and used in tournaments peoples will to win (vinnarskalle we call it in Sweden) can make them spammy (?) isn't it better to then then put in some kind of restriction to prevent that assholeness (i'm making up alot of words here!) from flourishing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CTYankee wrote:
Just because a formation can be "spammed" is not a reason to change it. Spam is for assholes - whom I do encounter as I do not, apparently with great fortune, do not encounter. Revenants are fun as is and , gee whiz, this is a game.

Congo must be a great place to be a gamer!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Winning with a list that can't be beaten is no win at all. That kind of behavior is for children. I'd rather change the people I game with, who are, in fact, adults and do not succumb to BS spam lists, than nerf a perfectly good, fun list. If "tournament" players do not play this way, well, then that is a good reason not to play in tournaments.

And Congo is, in fact, a good place for a great many things (going to baseball games not being one of them, unfortunately)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next