Login |  Register |  FAQ

More guided missiles shenanigans

Post subject: More guided missiles shenanigans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For FAQ, as has come up a couple of times in threads:

Q: Can you claim a crossfire when shooting guided missiles at a markerlit formation whilst out of line of sight?
A: Yes, if you can draw a line between the shooting unit and another friendly unit that has line of sight to the target.

[I'm guessing this would be the answer given the suppression FAQ, but it is a further addition to the situations where markerlights are conferring line of sight so perhaps not. In theory this can occur for Indirect Fire too, but would be very rare due to the way those units are used and the minimum range.]

Q: Can you claim a crossfire on a markerlit formation by drawing a line to a unit with guided missiles that is not in line of sight of the target?
A: No, markerlights only remove the requirement for line of fire when the formation itself shoots.

[Again I'm assuming this is how you'd want it to be, but could go either way.]

One thing to bear in mind with the above, is that the two situations can in principle occur together which produces a result that some may feel is counter-intuitive:
Two recon formations are on overwatch. One is in the open, the other is behind cover. Target moves in between them, into LoS of some unit with markerlights. Both recons fire overwatch.
The recons behind cover get crossfire bonus by drawing a line to the recons in the open.
The recons in the open do not get crossfire bonus as they cannot draw a line to another unit that has line of fire.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: More guided missiles shenanigans
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Given the rule is for "Line of Fire" I'd rather the simpler (and slightly stronger),

If a formation is markerlit (within 30 cm and an unblocked line of fire from a unit with marker-lights)
then Guided Missiles from any unit in range (90 cm) can draw a line of fire to the target formation.

I'd think that this was the closest match to the Supression FAQ. And easiest to apply.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the FAQ I specifically added the phrase

Additionally guided missiles count as having LOF to all units in a marked formation for the purpose of suppression.

If I add and crossfire to this would that leave or create any other problems?

I am personally of the opinion that these sorts of crossfire and markerlight tools are very much a part of how Tau should play and would like to leave the option but only if it doesn't create other problems.

It certainly should not apply to FF or anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yme-loc wrote:
If I add and crossfire to this would that leave or create any other problems?

That would be my preference.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It would allow you to use the GM formation as 'either end' of the crossfire, if you know what I mean? So would be the equivalent of Yes, Yes to the two questions I posed above. It seemed somehow not quite right to allow this but AFAIK there's no particular reason why not.