Login |  Register |  FAQ

Pathfinder Uses

Post subject: Pathfinder Uses
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm working on a mechanized Tau army and i eas wondering about pathfinders. Right now i plan to add a squad to my fire warriors to spread out my markerlight coverage. That combined with Tetras should allow me to mark what i want during a game. Pathfinders can also be taken on their own. Is there some benefit to this I'm not seeing besides having pathfinders without fire warriors and adding another activation?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Pathfinder Uses
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Weelll, adding a Light Vehicle to an all Infantry formation does make it easier to shoot, as it allows AT weaponry to shoot. Equally aircraft 'love' LV, as it maximises their shooting. Keeping Fire Warriors 'pure' is almost mandated to ensure they survive to be able to shoot other infantry :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

they are a great garrison force

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger wrote:
Weelll, adding a Light Vehicle to an all Infantry formation does make it easier to shoot, as it allows AT weaponry to shoot. Equally aircraft 'love' LV, as it maximises their shooting. Keeping Fire Warriors 'pure' is almost mandated to ensure they survive to be able to shoot other infantry :)

The pathfinder upgrade adds 2 infantry and 1 vehicle to a mechanised fire warrior cadre or to an infantry only cadre. The Tetra recon ("pathfinder") options are all separate formations and certainly are vulnerable to Imperial Thunderbolts.

For the same cost as upgrading two fire warrior formations you get an extra activation that can spread out, and garrison, and call down coordinated fire and help active the fire warriors anyway if you need the extra firepower. Also the smaller formation is easier to hide.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I quite like them both as upgrades and separate formations, I just have tended lately to prefer recon formations and skyray upgrades for FWs when it comes to markerlights. Skyrays add both flak and guided missiles in addition to the markerlights, and recons are a bit more flexible with their positioning (in some ways) as they don't need to be transported to be fast.

But still, pathfinders are a nice option, they have tended to overperform when I have used them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use the Vior'la list mainly when I play Tau. I have foung great use for the pathfinder upgrade in an orca FW formation. That gives you 11 units which brings their own markerlights.

They will usually devestate any infantry formation they hit. They can be quite potent in assaults as well with the 4+ FF upgrade.