Login |  Register |  FAQ

How to contend with enemy titans?

Post subject: Re: How to contend with enemy titans?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
So... basically off topic ;)

Steve (as usual) nails it. Tau are especially well equipped to deal with titans having lots of long range AP and feeder formations.

Well ... yes & no ... if you look at my post, you'll see similar things said by others here ... when it comes to Titan Bust'n ! :P And my Tau are still in the line for painting. But I've been reading all iterations of Tau rules for years now. They have a lot of firepower ... you just need to know how to use it ... :whistle

Like others have posted here ... 1) hide, ie: use cover & concealment ... 2) And use long ranged weapons ... So note ... my old school Titan killing techniques still have some validity ...

And Mr. Zimmerman ... If it pleases the court ...
I have many years of Killing Titans since '90 ... So dare I say ... I have killed many, many more of them than you ! You young whipper-snapper ! :P >:D

Your Honor ! I think Mr. Zimmerman is out of order !!!! :nooo :tut

Last edited by Legion 4 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

that's very doubtful my friend.

you know I just have to give you shit for your shadow swords and titans for tau comments though :P

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed ! ;) Indeed ... :nooo :whistle But remember ... we used to play AT with nothing but Titans on the table. I've left many of the enemy Titans burning wrecks ... ;D MWAAAAAHAHA !!!!! >:D >:D "Burn, Baby Burn !" O0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agreed Kyuss. Crossfire is one of the staple tactics against Titans.

So to sumarise
- Spread out objectives in the opponents half of the table.
- Set up your key formations behind scout screens and use these to slow down his advance
- Gain activation advantage (by picking off weaker formations).
- Use activation advantage to set up crossfire with markerlights
- blast away with everything

(Or try to avoid singleton battle Titans altogether)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Skimmers should be very useful for hiding and popping up.

Scouts - unless you've brought loads I suspect care is needed in using them as a screen as you dont want to risk losing too many in turn 1. Not easy to hide from Warhounds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I had a game yesterday night vs some blood angels. I ended up getting a lucky win by 1 point in the 3rd round.

So going up against titans sucks. My opponent took 2 war hound titans and a imperator titan. My goal was too hit em hard first round, then pin strike them with my spacecraft second round. This proved very difficult.

I'm the 1st Turn I managed to catch the war hounds off guard by running my riptides between buildings into range then, tau jet jumping back over the buildings into cover. This, along with a crossfire between a recon team and broadsides depleted it's shields a s damaged one. I followed this up WIth pinstrikes from the space ship - which ended their game. However, the imperator was another story.

Those things are tough as coffin nails, and fearless to boot. For the most part, I tried to stay out of its way. This proved more difficult than anticipated. 1st Turn it charged up and sat itself in a cross road between 2 mid field objectives. It turn proceeded to almost rip apart an entire railhead squadron, leaving a single tank to flee. Behind it, a tac team took an objective and took cover in a few buildings. At the begining of 2nd turn 3 of my orcas planet fall about 15-20 cm away from the hulking Beast of a titan. I won the initiative (luckily), and started the turn by launching the orcas payload of 18 XV8s at my opponent to get inside his voidshields. I took 3 casualties in the exchange and broke the titan who charged down the table to get away. Now here's where I got sooo lucky - he didn't rally. 3rd turn I just left it alone. My 2 stealth teams teleported in behind the objective and in conjunction with a XV8 team was able to push the tac team off of it. This gave me all three objectives in my end, with 1 contested and 2 in my opponents hands, i was able to win by 1 point.

Was it ever hard fought. The only reason I won is because the imperator titan didn't rally. I lucked out big time! I think i learned a lot from this game about playing tau, but i still have a lot to learn. For future games I think I'll probably try to better understand use my scout formations. I took 3, which helped a lot but I think I was leaving them too close together. I wasn't really stretching them out like I think i should have been.

All in all super fun though.

Edit : I had question about drones, do they count for unit Morale?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

eyebuck wrote:
At the begining of 2nd turn 3 of my orcas planet fall about 15-20 cm away from the hulking Beast of a titan. I won the initiative (luckily), and started the turn by launching the orcas payload of 18 XV8s at my opponent to get inside his voidshields. I took 3 casualties in the exchange and broke the titan who charged down the table to get away.
Perhaps I am mis-interpreting your meaning. But I am wondering:

Planetfall is part of the action of the spacecraft which can happen at any time in the turn. You don't need to win initiative at such, but do need to successfully retain to assault with one of the formations that may disembark as part of the planetfall by the transport aircraft.

Did you mean 18 suits (in 6 units - therefore one full Orca load), of 18 units of Crisis Suits (a full load for 3 Orcas). I model my crisis suits with one suit and 2 gun drones so the two meanings are similar for me. Anyway seems a bit odd to go into a close combat assault with Crisis Suits at CC5+ (to dodge the shields) rather than shoot with coordinated fire (all three groups shoot independently) and with probable crossfires (6 x AT6+, 6 x MW4+, with probably sustained fire +1 and markerlights +1 for each formation of crisis suits).

I have found Crisis Suits pretty vulnerable to blast markers. They are an expensive formation with good firepower so a prime target for the enemy. Once broken (6 blast markers say) they get killed easily with further blast markers. Typically I need the commander (in a crisis suit) on the table to ensure the spacecraft activates and then to help ensure the suits retain after the planetfall landing. But very cool when they work.

Great to see you growing Tau force, . . . For The Greater Good.

eyebuck wrote:
Edit : I had question about drones, do they count for unit Morale?
Each stand of Gun Drones (a unit) counts as a regular unit for all purposes, including blast markers allocations, and hence the morale (in terms of being broken, etc) of the formation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey,

andrew_nz wrote:
Planetfall is part of the action of the spacecraft which can happen at any time in the turn. You don't need to win initiative at such, but do need to successfully retain to assault with one of the formations that may disembark as part of the planetfall by the transport aircraft.

Sorry some of my terminology is off, were still getting comfortable with the rules as well. We may have done somethings incorrectly, such as planet fall it seems :p So, thats good to know though - that they can come down at any time. We were under the impression that they came down immediately upon arrival of orbital assets - and only at a designated DZ which was selected before game even started. We did all the spaceship attacks and planetfalls before either of us started our turn in the second round.

andrew_nz wrote:
Did you mean 18 suits (in 6 units - therefore one full Orca load), of 18 units of Crisis Suits (a full load for 3 Orcas). I model my crisis suits with one suit and 2 gun drones so the two meanings are similar for me. Anyway seems a bit odd to go into a close combat assault with Crisis Suits at CC5+ (to dodge the shields) rather than shoot with coordinated fire (all three groups shoot independently) and with probable crossfires (6 x AT6+, 6 x MW4+, with probably sustained fire +1 and markerlights +1 for each formation of crisis suits).[/qupte]

I totally meant 18 units of crisis suits. The reason I went for CC was to bypass the void shields - we were under the impression that only CC attacks could do that. Due to buildings, and positioning of my recon squads I was unable to gain either firefight or marker light advantages. My goal was get some good hits in. I figured I have 16CC (since only 16 could base - I think at least) and 2 on FF. It was a terrible embarassment that I only did 1 damaage, but at least I broke him. In retrospect that probably would have been the better option as I would have widdled away its void sheilds for my 2 AX-1-0s to attack.

andrew_nz wrote:
I have found Crisis Suits pretty vulnerable to blast markers. They are an expensive formation with good firepower so a prime target for the enemy. Once broken (6 blast markers say) they get killed easily with further blast markers. Typically I need the commander (in a crisis suit) on the table to ensure the spacecraft activates and then to help ensure the suits retain after the planetfall landing. But very cool when they work.

I could totally see that, I mean their squad size is small already. Between being supressed to shit, and broken the team is useless. Add to that the fact that they also have to rally otherwise theyre useless again. UGH! Frustrating, but they are kinda durable and they dakka like a sunnuvabitch.

andrew_nz wrote:
Great to see you growing Tau force, . . . For The Greater Good.

Thanks man. Im super excited to be able to be an active part of this forum. Ive been a lurker for quite some time, but I hope to post more often. I need to get more familiar with the rules and if I post more often hopefully that will happen.

Also Id be very interested to hear how you deal with titans. I need all the help I can get :p and its fun to talk about too.

EDIT: I think I broke the formatting on the message trying to quote you. Im sure Ill catch on eventually :p