Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Tau Army List vs 6.8 (Approved)

Post subject: Re: Tau Army List vs 6.8 (Approved)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry Yme - at work and rushing through so TL;DR - but does the Railhead have no Smart missile system for any reason or is it a typo? Seems odd all other Heads get it but the Rail. Otherwise should the points be adjusted back to match the other tanks given it's missing a weapon system?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
Sorry Yme - at work and rushing through so TL;DR - but does the Railhead have no Smart missile system for any reason or is it a typo? Seems odd all other Heads get it but the Rail. Otherwise should the points be adjusted back to match the other tanks given it's missing a weapon system?

Smart missile system was changed to burst cannons when the main gun was upgraded with lance to keep cost down and just to be on the cautious side when making such a powerful change to the main gun.

No reason you can't go with the smart missiles in the tank list if you want to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great, thanks for the reply Yme, though would reintroducing the Smart missiles to the tank list require a points bump?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
Great, thanks for the reply Yme, though would reintroducing the Smart missiles to the tank list require a points bump?

I don't think a points increase would be required. I was probably being over cautious anyway and it doesn't matter if the tanks in a tank focused list are a tiny bit better for their points.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:29 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Hey dudes been playing tau a bit lately and im a big fan of crisis suits, more of a fire warrior man. Is there anyway to get a supreme commander into a fire warrjor formation? Like a shaso upgrade? I know im only asking for my list to work better, im sure others would like it too but. If its OP its fine. Its hard to keep a SC alive if a thunder hawk can come in and take it off first activation. Maybe im just playing wrong too :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:07 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

sorry that was suppose to be not a big fan of the crisis

but after reading what ive writting its just me looking selfish and wanted the rules to work around me. you can discard it unless someone else is keen for it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the codices I have read the shas'o would always be in a battlesuit so it does make sense. I rarely lose the SC in my games I have to say, key to this is avoiding his formation being BTS but also it does depend on your play style. I can see why this would be a big concern for you (and i have found myself not wanting to field any crisis myself either, I will admit - especially when I first started using the list) but mine is generally relegated to blitz guard / emergency response and I tend to play relatively defensively with tau so he is bit threatened all that much.

How you tend to use him? Do you upgrade the formation so it is a juicy target?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You could take a look at viorla which is more focussed on fire warriors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:53 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Blitz guard too i hardly ever send him out losing him wrecks you game play. But if i was playing against mine with a thunderhawk id def go for it early. How do you go for AA i tried more skyrays but they are pretty expensive. Im using just one now just for the blast on air assaults. And barracudas for help controling the air.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I take between 4 and 6 skyrays. Yes they are expensive but they also have markerlights and guided missiles, two of the best and most fun things about the Tau IMO. I embed them into FW, and hammerheads if I field them - otherwise a skyray formation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:52 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

How are you keeping them alive to me it sounds like kamakazi

To mark you have to be within 30 and thats assault range for them unless they have activated but then you risking it for next turn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:20 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Do you have any battle reports i can watch your gameplay, just wana see how others play and see it work. I use like 5 units of tetras and just buz around trying to keep everything marked i feel theres not enough fire power without it marked plus tetras are great for crossfire on the tougher guys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't think I do, there might be some short reports of tournaments.

I usually have 3 formations of tetras, as yes markerlights are key. I tend to play quite carefully and defensively on turn 1 and often 2. This can even mean keeping most things back behind cover and just using the guided missiles. Tetra placement can be absolutely critical, you have to balance the risks but essentially I find a good rule of thumb is to make your opponent make difficult decisions about killing the tetras. That includes moving them at the right time, both in terms of what you move them near to and whether they have activated, and how long they stay on overwatch. But as important is how many tetras you leave visible. You only need one tetra to be able to mark one or more formations, they are scouts so usually you can make it so that only one or two are visible to the enemy. So long as fewer than 3 are visible, your opponent cannot break them in a single shooting activation and they usually would have to come forward into range of other more powerful units to be able to target the ones they cannot see (to place the last place marker or kill more). Likewise if only 1 is within assault range they can only kill one. Either they assault with an expensive formation that has inspiring and numbers bonuses, which leaves them open to counterattack, or they use another formation to plink and prep. That uses 2 activations on a tetra, and if the tetra dies to the plink then nothing will be in range to assault. This is so frustrating for opponents that I find they quite often just leave the tetra sitting there for several activations, marking.

Then of course you have a few cheeky tricks up your sleeve. One is to deploy your recon garrisons such that one tetra hangs back near the deployment zone, giving you coordinated fire options. This means you can move a tetra forward to markerlight, and follow up with another formation to break it before they can kill the tetra. Another favourite of mine is to put formations with guided missiles on overwatch behind some terrain, then if any formation comes within 30 of a unit with markerlights you can fire the overwatch at it. This can deter assaults on recons, but frankly is worth doing for the fun and surprise factor alone :)

Garrisons can often be dealt with (or enough BMs placed on them to blunt their overwatch) by deploying a recon within 30 of them and then sustaining with a other formation in the deployment zone. I like taking a formation of 5x piranha and 1x tetra for this role, they can't garrison but are a cheap source of missiles. You can also just sustain with firewarriors and skyray (5x4+) but then you give up their threat radius, which your opponent would otherwise be a little wary of. Obviously the utility of missiles depends on the type of garrison unit, things in transports and light vehicles being ideal targets.

Overall I tend not to do an awful lot in the first turn, but i will often take an opportunity to take out something like a Warhound or infantry in transports using broadsides in an orca, if it is at the end of the turn and most things on that flank have activated or the formation is isolated. It can also help to keep some of your opponent's formations back away from the rest of your army to lessen the chances of being overwhelmed in turn 2. By turn 3 you should be right in the thick of it using crossfire, coordinated fire etc to take down hard formations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:16 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

ahhh great reply :D thanks a heap

I do most things you say like the tetra garrison in line back to my deployment. but i do this to play aggressive first turn and try and take anything out that can hit my squishy hammerheads and firewarriors. i do the tetra thing and leave one to mark or 2 sometimes to mark to units and cordinate and try and hit a flank hard. Im going to have a look at my list again after reading what you have said :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I think using the tetras to coordinate an alpha strike against stuff that can really mess you up is a reasonable tactic (I do this too) and the defensive style I adopt otherwise is just my preference. I just find zooming up the field isn't great for to hit values and stuff dies quite quickly.

If you want to look at lists, the epic UK site has lists used by the players at every tournament event.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next