Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tau Army LIst vs 6.71 (Developmental)

Post subject: Re: Tau Army LIst vs 6.71 (Developmental)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Let me say that I didn't see the point of taking railheads over fusion heads in my lists before; with the new rules, I think the choice is less easy.

Our games are Very heavy on the terrain, though, and lines of fire are rarely long.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yme-loc wrote:
Dobbsy wrote:
No thoughts on the C&C, Yme?

Tau have reasonable access to leaders in their core formations - Ethereals and Bonded Teams in Fire Warriors and Shas'el (now free) or Shas'o in Crisis.

The support formations are obviously lacking in this area but I personally can't say I have found it to be a big problem when using the list, no more than other armies I play anyway. It's just the lot of small support formations in epic as a game.

But critical to shooting formations if we force a "shooting only to win" policy on a list that doesn't CC engage - heck even FF engagement isn't all that super in this list. You can't suppress CC after all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Parintachin wrote:
Frankly, I don't see how this army would work without taking a Shas'o. I would have lost a Lot of games to critical failure to activate if not for that.

Over a series of games I developed a policy (fluff really) of not taking a Shas'o if the relevant units were killed in the previous games. Since my Crisis Suits were regularly destroyed, often just broken with disrupt fire and then killed by BMs, that meant a fair number of games without a "supreme commander".

Provided you have a reasonable number of low cost formations then the lack of a re-roll is annoying but not super critical. Also it changes your mind-set in approaching the game.

However I'd never take AX-1-0s (or maybe, a Manta or a heavy planetfall list) without a supreme commander on the table. It was also a challenge running a list with lots of air-landing formations without a re-roll.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've often wondered if you could put crisis suits upgrade in with a Fire Warriors formation. You could then sink the SC in a bigger formation and also bolster the fire warriors in a sort of "battle group" formation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Posted a batrep here vs Newcrons:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=28204&p=536298#p536298

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Updated the list to version 6.71.2 (Developmental).

Now includes the updated Tigershark text, free Shas'el and reduced cost Shas'o.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yme-loc wrote:
Free Shas'el and reduced cost Shas'o.

Does this mean that the Crisis Suit group by default now is 4 bases or 5 bases?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The shas'el is a character, he's an upgrade to a unit, not a seperate unit in himself.

In other words, the Crisis suit formation is still 4 units; only now one of the four has Coordinated Fire and Leader on top of the other stats.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
But critical to shooting formations if we force a "shooting only to win" policy on a list that doesn't CC engage - heck even FF engagement isn't all that super in this list. You can't suppress CC after all.

After using my Tau in 20+ games I think this is Tau's main problem.

Engage is so powerful in this game Tau are hamstrung. Improving Tau FF in a handful of units would help out immensely. As Dobbsy says they are not suppressed. My major headache playing Fire Warriors is they get out of their transports fire, granted they can do a lot of damage, but are left out in the open. If they where doing the same in an assault they could (if successful) jump back in their transport.

Why do we have this hangup that Tau can't Engage? My understanding is that an epic assault is akin to a game of 40k. Tau have been doing pretty well in that game for quite some time.

I really think a total overhaul of the Tau is needed. With this over reliance on shooting removed.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152991

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think it was a conscious choice, when the list was created, to make a list that Truly Sucks in assaults, but excel at close range shooting.

I must admit I Like this aspect, but then I guess I'm a camper at heart, and love castling up in a defensive position. Epic has tonz of ways to circumvent a parimeter; dropships and teleports and summons; yet I've been able to keep a fairly decent win/loss ratio.

If you want a more 'assaulty' Tau force, the Vior'La list gives this with Fireblade upgraded infantry, Riptides and Vespids all at FF4+, but at the cost of Kroot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I must say in my games so far I have liked the shooting style of the list, it's been fun having to wean myself off the crutch of FF assaults and despite the fact that they die horribly in assaults, they are pretty mean on their own terms too. I will reserve a little judgement but so far I'm doing OK with them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also, I really like that Epic has the breadth to have very different play styles.

Creepy-crawly-tide-of-death swarm of nids, teleporty Necrons, dance of death-y Eldar, Stand and Die in Droves IG, Rain of Death Space Marines, et cetera, et cetera.

The game would Lose flavor if we chose to limit this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Parintachin wrote:
Also, I really like that Epic has the breadth to have very different play styles.

Creepy-crawly-tide-of-death swarm of nids, teleporty Necrons, dance of death-y Eldar, Stand and Die in Droves IG, Rain of Death Space Marines, et cetera, et cetera.

I certainly agree with that statement. Problem is the above lists work well in their particular niche. IMO we haven't been able to make a success with a 'shooty' version.

I have to say I feel sorry for Dobbsy, he comes up with perfectly good alternates and fix's but is then shot down. The usual excuse is 'well Eldar have X and it works'. Eldar can Engage AND shoot. If you want this list to be any good, whilst staying in the shooty theme, it need less fragility (tanks) and even more shooty (macro would be nice).

Thank the Greater Good for the Vior'La list. The only thing that holds this list back is the 'parent' list. This is a great example of forcing a square peg in a round hole.

Sorry but I think you are flogging a dead horse. :sos

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152991

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Parintachin wrote:
Stand and Die in Droves IG

No that's the Tau....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tau vs AMTL batrep here:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=28376

The new tank Railgun is a nice piece of kit. Gave the Reaver a bit of a shock but I still didn't kill it even with two formations of Hammerheads and a recon formation shooting it.... If I have to commit three activations and still not kill one when it's markerlit, there's still something wrong.
It's just a pity the broadsides don't get the lance-not-lance rule too. The game would have been slightly different if they had as the Warhounds would not have had complete range of the table as they did and I might have killed more of them.

Again I had a lot of sub-average rolls. A lot of 1s to activate or rally and I had one point where a Broadsides FM hit once in 6 shots with AT3.... :{[] That would have likely been a dead Warhound if it hadn't happened. Might have given me a bit more control but wouldn't have won the game for me.

Again too easy to break formations when they're only 4-6 units. There's absolutely no staying power in them and you cannot hide forever.

Edit - Oh! I like the change to the ShasEl/O, Yme. It was nice to get a leader in the Crisis and only pay 75 to upgrade it.

As an aside note: One thing I find the Tau lack and that is alphastrike like artillery get. Two formations of Manticores ruins the Tau day because we simply can't get to them. There's no templates but not even normal shooting can deal with this unless you sacrifice formations to do so leaving you without key formations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next