Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next

Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.9

Post subject: Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.8a
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So in 40k they are essentially toughness 5, 4 wound melta delivery systems. They also come with twin linked flamers. Outside of 12" they have a 2+ cover save. Units of three and they're monstrous creatures.

They're almost as tough as a riptide so maybe reinforced armour at 5+, with a tau deflector shield? Tau jump packs, 15cm MW 4+, ignore cover FF at 5+ and maybe teleport to count as it's ability to get in close undetected? Kind of like stealth suits in that respect...

Not sure if those stats fill a role, would be attractive or what he points would be!!! Really just spitballing...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau - Developmental V1.8a
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In 40K they really come in three flavours because they really shine more as part of formations - on it's own it's probably fairly close to a stealth team on the offensive and as tough as a stealth team is to small arms fire against heavy weapons. Two main weapons are a blast melta, or a 6 shot S7 ion weapon that can overcharge to S8 large blast. Secondary weapons are twin linked burst cannons, flamers or melta

As a formation you either have 1-3 alongside 2 stealth teams, and the squad gets ignore cover and always targets rear armour - or you can have 3-9 that operate independently and network their stealth fields to cover the units behind them as long as they're close together.

I'd have thought upgrade to stealth suit cadre (either 3 or 1-3), with stealth suit profile, but AV rather than INF.
Ditch scouts and maybe disrupt - these guys are part of a squad or are staying close enough to network their stealth fields (represented by being AV that can cover INF), and they are more assassins that disrupting lone wolves. Fact that the formation is now in and out of cover should be enough to give a nod to the shields and countermeasures if we're worried about going mad with special rules.

MW4+ main weapons - either the big fusion gun or 3 autocannons at rear armour
AP5+ ignores cover secondary weapon - flamer or burst cannon with the formation rules.
(both at 15cm - and not extending to FF, or trading out first strike for a small arms profile if the more Engagement ready Tau list needs a engagement MW somewhere)

Can certainly see the value in an independent formation of these, but think being able to teleport armour where you need it as cover whilst also have megaweapons is probably a little too good to not also add a tax of stealth suits (if only to increase the chance of getting BM when teleporting so the short ranged MW shot is a little more situational).

Guess a Salamander dreadnaught is pretty close as a starting point for price, given their ability to planetfall, short ranged MW and value as a AV added to a elite infantry unit - 50pts each?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:27 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Shadowlord you should get this approved and ill love you long time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really hope we see them!
So right now they look like

Profile AV
ARM +5
CC +6
FF +5

WEAPONS
Fusion gun MW +4 15cm
or
Autocannon AP +5 15cm (always target rear amor, ignores cover)

Requirement: for every 2 X15 units taken, 1 ghost keel unit (3) may be taken
Teleport, first strike?, reinforced armor, tau jump packs

I wasn't really picking up what you guys were mentioning with FF and small arms, wouldn't it just use its 3autocannon or MW when in firefight? It's within 15, I might be forgetting a rule or two.

We don't have any proposed upgrades yet. I was thinking

Upgrades Cadre Fireblades, 2 gun drones

Just like the stealth suit.

I really like it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

eyebuck wrote:
I wasn't really picking up what you guys were mentioning with FF and small arms, wouldn't it just use its 3autocannon or MW when in firefight? It's within 15, I might be forgetting a rule or two.

If you're within 15cm range (or end up there) and have chosen to double, march, hold or sustain - you shoot with your weapons as normal.

However if you pick 'Engage' and attempt Epic's equivalent of a GW close combat attack, your weapon stats no longer come into it - if you're in base to base you use the CC stat, if you're within 15cm you use the FF stat.
Some weapons, marked with 'small arms' can't be used in normal actions as they are either exceptionally short range (like meltas) or their limited ammo that means they've got just enough for a few shots in a 40K battle but can't spend a day trading fire (most basic guns).

Small arms weapons look like 15cm weapons, but can only be used in engagements and generally give other bonuses - +1 attack or turning their firefight value into Macro Weapon attacks.

So a hypothetical Ghostkeel with 3xAp5+ 30cm range and 1x(15cm) small arms, MW , +1 A, means at any range from 10cm (can't be inside a enemy zone of control) to 30cm he will shoot three times with his AP5+ gun. And that's it.

If he engages, and remains out of close combat following the enemy piling in but is still within 15cm he would get to roll two dice (1 for engage, and one for the +1A fusion gun), needing to beat his FF value of 5+. However as the fusion gun gives his small arm attacks MW, those hits would not allow normal saves and knock down reinforced armour - but only in Engagement actions (assaults)!

So those two guns may look even, but the big difference is that if the Ghostkeel shot an enemy unit - it's kills would add blast markers and suppress the unit, but if it Engaged and won it'd break the unit. In the 3rd sphere list, the idea was that Tau don't do these risky engagements to break the enemy, and rely on suppressing them and then harassing broken units to prevent them from rallying and maybe taking out a few unfortunates you can't get away - very Kauyon.

Vior'la embraces the Mont'ka method of more decisive strikes - they're still not Eldar or Orks and can't just run at an enemy and take them out, but they are better equipped at dealing a devastating blow to a battered formation via an engagement. Rather than merely continuing to fire and making the formation less than combat effective - they'll strike, call and engage action and try to go in for the kill.

Balancing these two aspects is the key, the Kauyon 3rd sphere force would be devastating with it's current guns and a decent ability to break formations under fire with engage actions - a massive firepower army that waits for you to come to it before beating you in assault is practically the definition of overpowered.

Mont'ka is much the same in the other way - it'd make the Tau a lot less cautious and stand-offish and more prone to racing hell for leather at the opponent to use their FF values to break them, then use Recon teams to mop up survivors rather than a primarily firepower based army with a penchant for surgical strikes when the time is right.

The epic Tau army has traded (small arms) it's basic guns - from pulse carbines to pulse rifles, in exchange for a real shooting attack. This has come at the cost of FF value, Tau aren't bad at Epic - but in Epic they are worse at 40K style engagements that you think they are based on their stats in 40K.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:24 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

hey so many posts to go through to find this answer if its been asked. how much is a shaso upgrade to a fire warrior formation????? says to replace a shasel for 75 pts but theres no shasel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello,

I'm not sure if it's listed elsewhere but you are correct, it is 75 points to add shas'o to a unit of firewarriors
I think it's just assumed that's always a shas'el.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the earlier versions, before the extra line got cut off, it used to be +100 points
to add a Shas'o to a Fire Warrior unit. Version 1.5 has the "or" still there, . . .
I have deleted my earlier copies, but the costings on my earlier army lists have +100 pts.

It is a little frustrating that the more recent pdfs have bits chopped off: some lines
missing, units notes, . . .
But does mean you can assume a price drop on the Shas'o upgrade, . . . I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:16 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

thanks dudes for the reply. im keen to use them at cancon this year and i wana start trying lists.

im thinking of giving pathfinder formations a go. they seam good to garrison with the devils on overwatch to get some blasts on any teleporting or air assaulting units first turn.

they would be good to send against high armour stuff with the sniper its -1 armour yeah and crossfire if they arnt thick reared? does it stack to be -2?

anyway this is the list im thinking of trying out. kyrts given me a few pointers. but i dono everyone says to have more AA but i wonder if its needed. im hardly ever going to take air assaults down im sure i can get a blast on them from one of the 2 sky rays or something on overwatch with GM.

The fireblades look pretty cool. boosting to a 4+ FF. hopefully enough to keep my important formtions alive if they get assaulted.

Any other thoughts would be great thanks.

Also the thought on the tetras being all tetras is so i dont have to keep a piranha close and give templates 2 hits. 2 hits on 3+ and being shot at would break them. need them alive for marking stuff and cordinate.

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [425]
6 Fire Warrior Units, 3 Devilfishes, Shas'o Commander, Cadre Fireblade, Skyray

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [500]
6 Fire Warrior Units, 3 Devilfishes, 2 Pathfinder units and 1 Devilfish or 3 pathfinder units, Cadre Fireblade, Ethereal, Skyray

FIRE WARRIOR CADRE [325]
6 Fire Warrior Units, 3 Devilfishes, 2 Pathfinder units and 1 Devilfish or 3 pathfinder units

ARMOURED SUPPORT GROUP [225]
4 Hammerhead Gunship (Railhead)

PATHFINDER GROUP [200]
4 Pathfinder units, 2 Devilfishes

PATHFINDER GROUP [200]
4 Pathfinder units, 2 Devilfishes

RECON SKIMMER GROUP [150]
5 Pathfinder Tetra

5 Pathfinder Tetra

5 Pathfinder Tetra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Eh. . . Anyone who brings a bomber would ruin your day pretty quick. You have zero AA.

Also has anyone ever played a game with a friend and used Kroot in this list? How did that go? I know we want to differentiate ourselves from the vanilla tau or is there like a technical reason? Like do they compliment a Vior'la list too well? Just want thoughts on this would be sweet.

I have like a several bags if Kroot and the vanilla tau is too vanilla. So help me out with your juicy juicy thoughts and ideas. Give these Kroot a life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

eyebuck wrote:
Eh. . . Anyone who brings a bomber would ruin your day pretty quick. You have zero AA.

He has a Skyray in each of the first two formations..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Looking to take the Vior'la out for a 2500 to the Fall In Tournament in Lancaster, PA in a couple weeks. Right now I'm considering:

Fire Warrior Cadre
Fire Warrior Cadre
XV104 Riptide Formation
Armoured Support Group
+Railhead upgrade
+Skyray
Armoured Support Group
+Railhead upgrade
+Skyray
Armoured Support Group - Fusionhead
+2x Fusionhead
+Skyray
Recon
Recon
Crisis suits w/Shas'o

I'm hoping to come back with batreps from my games. Comments and criticism welcome for the list!

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Looks pretty sweet, i wana see how the riptides go. I need to try them out myself.

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau - Version 0.7: Tournament Test Phase
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Quote:
[] Razorshark Strike Fighter armour changed from 6+ to - (none)

Why the big difference in save between this fighter and the sun shark bomber. I mean they are based on the same chassis. Does the latter have some kind on shield in 40k (I have to admit I don't know their individual 40k stats)?

It will be +25pts for the squadron and back to armour 6+ when the development version goes up. I was struggling to find a distinct, justifiable role for the Razorshark when the Barracuda exists, but think I have the solution now. In 40K, they fill similar roles (Razorshark being new Tau Codex, Barracuda being a rare Forge world item), so the two were too similar in this Epic list to really justify having both.

Having looked into all the differences between the two when actually used in 40K since I wrote the old profile, what I have found is that the unique selling point of the Razorshark is actually the fact it has a 360' rotating rear turret, so unlike the vast majority of flyers in 40K it can fly past targets and shoot them in the rear or sides.

The only way to represent that turret effect accurately in Epic is to make it 360', similar to the Ork Fighta Bomba. To do that without ruining the balance of the unit means dropping the range of the weapon, because otherwise at 30cm the Razorshark would be able to set up wide 'umbrellas' of AA fire.

Internal Balance:
Barracuda Fighter 6+ n/a n/a Ion Cannon 30cm AP4+/AT5+/AA5+, Fixed Forward Arc
Twin Burst Cannons 15cm AA6+
Twin Missile Pods 45cm AP5+/AT6+, Fixed Forward Arc

Razorshark Strike Fighter 6+ n/a n/a Quad Ion Turret 15cm AP4+/AT5+/AA5+
Twin Burst Cannons 15cm AA6+

Comparison: The Barracuda can hit aircraft from outside of the range of many of its targets, and has 45cm AP5+/AT6+
The Razorshark has nothing over 15cm so has to get into range of most enemies, lacks the the long range missile pods (AP5+/AT6+), but is 3 for 175 instead of 2 for 150

External Balance
Fighta-Bommer 6+ n/a n/a Heavy Shootas 15cm AP5+/AA5+
Tankbusta Rokkits 30cm AT4+

Comparison: The Razorshark has a similar 360' turret, doesn't have a 30cm gun, is slightly better vs air and worse vs vehicles. It is also more expensive and can't be spammed by adding more to a unit.

The result is a scrappy little brawler of an aircraft, not capable of stand-off shooting, but happy to get right into the thick of it and mess things up.

Did anything ever come of this? Current list still has it as a budget barracuda with a Fixed forward arc turret and twin burstcannons that it doesn't have. Quite liked the sound of the little brawler compared to the Barracuda's true interceptor.

Post subject: Re: Vior'la Tau - Version 0.7: Tournament Test Phase
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tastyfish wrote:

Did anything ever come of this? Current list still has it as a budget barracuda with a Fixed forward arc turret and twin burstcannons that it doesn't have. Quite liked the sound of the little brawler compared to the Barracuda's true interceptor.

This lists development has been slow for a while, which is a shame this it's my favorite to play. And Matt, the AC, hasn't been logged onto the site since August 15:th. I hope he returns he has done a great job.

Are there any australians here who know him? Is Matt still playing epic?

Last edited by Borka on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 33  Next