Login |  Register |  FAQ

Joining the ranks of the Skitarri

Post subject: Joining the ranks of the Skitarri
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I've decided to add Mech to my Epic collection and looking for some feedback and clarifications.

I always liked the idea of interesting custom Reaver Titans and thought that Skitarri would allow that without the downsides of a regular Titan Legion. I quickly noticed that the strength of the army was in the Ordinatus, both Major and Minor, so I'm looking at something like the following:

SKITARII DEMI-CENTURY [700]
2 Secutor units, 8 Hypaspist units, 10 Chimedons, Magos Character, Minorus with Gatling Blaster

SAGITARII DEMI-CENTURY [275]
5 Sagitarii units, 5 Gun Servitor Unit

ORDINATUS MINORUS [375]
2 Ordinatus Minorus, Quake Cannon, Carapace Landing Pad

ORDINATUS MAJORUS [500]
1 Ordinatus Majorus, Ordinatus Mars (Sonic Disruptor)

CRUSADER SCOUT MANIPLE [150]
4 Crusader Robots

CRUSADER SCOUT MANIPLE [150]
4 Crusader Robots

AVENGER SQUADRON [225]
2 Avenger Strike Fighters

WARHOUND TITAN [275]
Plasma Blastgun, Vulcan Megabolter

CATAPHRACTI SUPPORT [350]
2 Macharius, Macharius Command Tank (vanquisher)

The main damage output comes from the blast templates laid out by the ordinatus, which will be defended by the scouts and smaller infantry. The Mach tanks and Warhound move forward to finish off the damaged enemy units. The BTS is a solid unit with 22 units and a decent amount of firepower.

I'm relying a lot on the Ordinarus in-built AA. Have people found that to be sufficient or should I include more hydras?

Secondly is there some hidden benefit I can see to the Avenger Strike Fighters? Comparing them to Thunderbolts leaves them wanting. I see they have slightly more ground attack, but certainly not worth the whopping +75 points they cost over the thunderbolts.

Advice appreciated!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Joining the ranks of the Skitarri
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

*cue crickets chirping*

I guess the Skitarri aren't very popular compared to the Knights and Titans!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would advice you to check out the EpicUK list, thats an awesome list with lots of could list building options!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

hehe sorry, I somehow missed this thread entirely. Skitarii aren't approved yet so not many people want to bring them in. We're trying to gather reports though to get the list current list approved so I'd be grateful for anything you can provide. :)

But on to your list...

Quote:
I'm relying a lot on the Ordinarus in-built AA. Have people found that to be sufficient or should I include more hydras?

Part of the design goal for Skitarii was that they primarily use ground based AA. I've found that with a solid mix of ordinatus and colossus robots you'll fare pretty well.

Quote:
Secondly is there some hidden benefit I can see to the Avenger Strike Fighters? Comparing them to Thunderbolts leaves them wanting. I see they have slightly more ground attack, but certainly not worth the whopping +75 points they cost over the thunderbolts.

The Avenger trades AA capabilities for AG firepower. It can be very effective at chasing down broken formation, especially infantry and it can do it with a bit more range than a tbolt can. I think they may be about 25 points overcosted based on pure stats, but the higher price point does serve to make them harder to spam since they provide a lot of flexibility to what's normally a slower list.

I think you've got a fairly solid one going here overall but you have left yourself a touch easy to break with a lot of smaller formations. I ran a heavily upgraded Skitarii demi-century in my last couple of games and I found that it worked pretty well but instead of the minorus I took the Secutor upgrade. It took a heavy beating through the course of the games but hit pretty hard. The only problem is that it's nearly 1/3 of your points.

I'd highly recommend you spend the 25 points to upgrade the satigarii to rapiers and possibly give them a transport minorus too. I've found these guys to be invaluable at controlling the board and can be a bear to shift if they get in cover. Typically I'll use the minorus to double to their destination and set up and then provide air cover.

Not many people take a majoris. They can hit pretty hard, but it's difficult to get a lot of use out of them because they are so slow. It also suffers from not being fearless like the other ordinatus which makes breaking catastrophic.