Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

AMTL 3.24 (Approved)

Post subject: Re: AMTL 3.24 (Approved)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Titans vs Squats is never an easy match up. Whenever I see this it usually turns into a game of Cat & Mouse with the titans looking to use cover and catch the Squats in small groups.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:21 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Vaaish wrote:
Ouch. Do you think you could have done anything different to change outcome?

Not sure I can help if the cyclops one shotted the BTS :) Bad dice or just lucky hits?

I was rather agressive off the start, the terrain wasn't exactly sparse but with being out activated there was a very predictably limited place to deploy. Dumped a warp missile and 24 gatling blaster shots into the cyclops but was never able to break it. It did mostly nothing for the first two turns but the third saw a D6 roll of 6 for TK and 3 criticals... Boom. Lol. Had hoped the reaver could weather one shot. The cyclops was very close to dead, only 1 DC left. The overlords were great at throwing out battle cannons fire. Had my bts reaver not died there was a good chance the game would have gone to turn 4. Though it wold have resulted in a loss regardless. I did a good job of getting my reavers up the battle field and decimated his troops with a few assaults and the demi-century. The thud gun team were buried in a city block and ripped apart my troops and broke a warhounds in one turn. 200 points for 6 infantry with 1BP/unit with disrupt is potent when they can garrison. My tbolts did next to nothing as he had a massive AA umbrella between the overlords and the 60cm range AA platforms.

How do you handle the CAP with the demi-centry in terms of BMs for break limit when they are still mounted. Can the infantry disembark as part of the retreat move after the titan is broken? Do the two act as one formation when mounted with a DC of 16?

Could I have done stuff differently, yes. I know I made a moderately bad mistake in activation order on my third turn and I was overly agressive getting into a good placement for the second turn which actually turned out to be good as my opponent had some unlucky rolls.

Can you help, not really I suppose. Playing the titan list is still fun. There are certain match ups that are just not good. So far Saim-Hann and squats are particularly bad for the AMTL. I like to use a lot of gattling blasters but they never seem to perform as well as I feel they should. I suppose when doubling 12 AP/AT 4s go to 5s and often to 6s with cover. You only really statistically get 2-4 hits in the first round as you are pushing for position. The titans seem really powerful on paper but in practice are a little lack luster. I mean a group of falcons can put out more fire with a longer effective range. Sure they have shit armour and no shields too though. Anyways now I'm just tired ranting haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was Atension's opponent in the game. I think Squats are a bad matchup for AMTL - the Cyclops and number of battlecannons, as well as the numerous quality 200-250 pt formations. (actually i think UK Squats may be overpowered in general, but that is for a different thread..)
The real key was that Atension won the initiative in every turn and went first, then retained (trying to kill as much as he could before i could activate). That gave me a huge activation advantage in the back half of each turn. The fact that his shooting/assaults only killed or broke about half the formations he targeted just made the activation advantage worse.
One-shotting the BTS was a huge bonus, but the Cyclops did zero damage the first two turns, so i think that averaged out for the game.
Next time I'll bring Speed Freaks, no void shields or RA... ;D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6