Login |  Register |  FAQ

Skitarii 2.04.2 (in development)

Post subject: Skitarii 2.04.2 (in development)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:16 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

This is a maintenance release to fix errata and implement cosmetic changes to match Forge World AdMech weapon names.

Changes:
Hypaspist weapon changed from Heavy Bolter to Mauler Bolt Cannon. Stats unchanged pending discussion
Sagitarii weapon changed from Assault Cannon to Phased Plasma Fusil. Stats unchanged pending discussion

Errata:
Ordinatus Majoris datasheet incorrecectly lists the speed as 15cm. This should be 10cm.
Avenger should have one lascannon shot not two.

UPDATE:
Fixed typo on majoris weapon selection.
Adjusted the Cataphractii support option to reflect cosmetic changes to the Macharius.
Removed Macharius Command variant from reference sheet.
Added Vulcan Megabolter and Vanquisher Cannon weapons options to Macharius Heavy Tank entry.
Added Avenger Strike Fighter to reference sheet.

Attachments:
AdMech0.91.pdf [2.62 MiB]
Downloaded 437 times

Post subject: Re: Skitarii 2.04.1 (in development)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:24 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Comments/Rationale:
I have decided against implementing any stat changes to the Hypaspist, Sagitarii, or Secutors for the time being pending further investigation after Dobbsy comments regarding the Demi-century in the AMTL list. While special stats do provide more flavor for the units, they also provide a small boost in power that I don't think any of the Skitarii infantry needs at this point and I'd rather not upset lists by increasing the prices of the infantry to match increased capabilities.

Secondly, I feel confident with the list in the current state to begin soliciting playtests for approved status. To avoid any issues, I ask that folks post "breaker" lists of potential exploits for us to examine and test.

Finally, I'll be opening a thread on the Defense of Gryphonne IV module for us to work through and include with the Skitarii relase.

Please post any comments or thoughts on the list or potential errata/ exploits you might find in this thread.

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent, Vaaish

Quote:
Secondly, I feel confident with the list in the current state to begin soliciting playtests for approved status. To avoid any issues, I ask that folks post "breaker" lists of potential exploits for us to examine and test.

More than happy to oblige. I have some ideas, but am doing AMTL frst.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:04 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Minor update to the file at the top to add in the firing arcs to the reference sheet for the Titan hulls and fix the missing Carapace Only on the support missile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

From the AMTL thread:

Quote:
Secondly, somewhere in the changed from the Skitarii defence list thats on the 2014 Compendium the ordinatus have changed from core to... well not. I think thats a good change but is there a reason not to allow them access to the upgrades. It would add some nice variations if they could take hydra and a third ordinatus minoris to the unit and I cant see any reasons why they shouldnt have this in terms of background or balance. (Im guessing there were concerns over the two quake cannon and landing pad but with the change to it not actually being indirect fire (so without the double of range) I dont think its as big a problem).

I'm not really sure what version of the list is in the compendium, but the current structure has been in place since 2012. Part of the reason for the change was that I wanted remove the upgrades from the ordinatus because it made for some awkward somewhat OP situations where a Mars ordinatus would take a carapace landing pad minorus to grant indirect fire. Another reason was that the upgrades were either redundant (both the ordinatus have built in AA) or couldn't be used by the ordinatus anyway (Magos and Transport) so it didn't make sense to allow them.

To answer your questions about the minorus: They were 3 strong for a very long time. I dropped them to two units because you ended up with little reason to take a majoris due to both being approximately the same cost once you added weapons and the minorus being far superior in durability (6VS and 6DC on three units vs. 4VS and 4DC on a single unit) and flexibility. The quake CLP combo was also a concern that the change to two units helped to solve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry about posting in the other thread, was a bit half asleep at the time.

And good reply. Its great to understand the changes. I hadnt thought about the Majoris with an additional Minoris. On the Mars that would indeed be a "bit much" :p. Im not sure that being able to take three minoris would stop me taking a majoris just in terms of the firepower a majoris can bring (though the durability would be interesting to see out depending on how hits were allocated; more durable against one large unit firing but maybe being slowly damaged and destroyed if they are taking hits from smaller units and the hits are allocated to the closer minoris first).

Quick question for the experts just on that. With a unit that has multiple war engines with void shields do they each get one back during the end phase or is it one for the whole unit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:15 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

No worries, it happens :)

On firepower:

the Majoris gets a choice of three weapons
It also gets 2x HB and 2x LC

Three minorus get any combination of battle titan weapons they like
They also get 6x HB

Comparing Majoris weapons vs 3x Minorus:

Hellfire missiles: 2bp MW x6
Minorus: Vortex Missiles: 3bp MW x3

Armageddon: 4x MW3+ TKd3
Minorus: 3x Volcano Cannon: 3x MW2+ TKd3

The firepower is generally fairly close in strength or slightly in favor of the Minorus and the cost would be almost identical to field. The Majoris either needed a boost, which wasn't necessary since they do fairly well when they do get fielded, or the minorus needed to get dropped a bit. I went with the latter and the minorus performs quite well with two units though you do need to support it with other troops if you don't want it dead... a result that I find quite fluffy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cant dissagree with that :p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not sure where to post this, but took the AM Skitarii list for a run the other day against my mate jimthewookie and his Imperial fists..... dug in..... in fortifications......

Jim did up a bit of a bat rep linked bellow.

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=29502.

Hard to give an accurate portrayal of the Skitarii's performance as they suffered desperately from my poor tactics and abysmal die rolling.
One thing I will say is although we have some cool robots, crusader / colossal, the ability to "lift" a formation is limited unless you blow 200 points on chimadons or a minoris which moves as fast as the shadow of time itself. Sure it's dc2 / 2 void shields, but it's a lone target when full of troops.
It didn't help that I was using a "defensive" themed army to dig out fortified marines either.

My Epic Army threads;
* Ad Mech (Skitarii, Cataphractii, Titan, IG Cadian)
* Marine (Xth Legion Iron Hands) TBA - soon!
* Necron (Scarab Conflict)
Batrep thread;
* Batreps (My armies being slaughtered by whomever & other battles.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:31 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Hey Atcho, this is a good spot as any :)

You're right, skitarii don't have a lot of cheap transport options and the ones they do have aren't always optimal. This is intentional to make them feel like a slow, steady advance.

I wouldn't discount the transport minorus or the Chimedons though. The chimedons are expensive but you are adding an additional 10 models to the formation since each chimedon only holds a single stand. That triples the demi-century's firepower against infantry and gives it the option to tag AV as well. The extra models take the demi-century up to 20 models total which makes them as difficult to break as a IG mechanized company. Last of all they've got 30cm speed so you can tag anything within 105cm of the formations starting point. That's a considerable boost in the combat effectiveness of the demi-century.

The transport minorus isn't always a great option, but I find it works well for Sagitarii and praetorians. You really need a plan going in as to how you want to use it though. For me, I double and dump sagitarii in a good position for a fire base and then use the minorus as built in AA and a fire magnet. Praetorians is a bit more tricky but it usually works out well to get them in position to either shoot, assault, or defend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey vaaish, don't get me wrong, I love my chimedons and agree absolutely that combined with the red horde they make a formidable unit.

I think the gripe I was having has more to do with my tactics then the units themselves. Ie, the Praetorians are close combat gods, and you need to get them in there. My opponent see's 5 stands of "death incarnate" whirling towards him - they die under a hail of fire. So you have to protect them somehow - hence they get loaded into a lumbering minorus because although it is a huge points sink for limited return, it is the only option.

So you need to chose - do I take a demi-century with chimadons, or do I take praetorians with a minorus. Problem is, with that choice - ill take the demi century every time, and the praetorians become a unit that will never be taken. 5 stands easily BM'd out of existence before they ever get to do anything. I took them in this game as we both wanted to test the lists, but although they ate jims tanks, it was only because he fed them to them. And I so don't want this to be the case - as I love my praetorians, and I want a reason to take them.

As I said though, probably has a lot more to do with the way I gamed them, rather than the unit itself.

My Epic Army threads;
Batrep thread;

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:43 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I can see your point. I think it depends on the situation though. Praetorians work great as garrisons supporting a demicentury on an objective. Using them as a garrison also gets them a bit closer to the front or at least someplace you KNOW your opponent has to go.

I don't use them that way too often though. I tend toward using Colossus because of the AA. Praetorians though I've found work quite well as a late game hammer when you stick them in a minorus. The minrous gives AA which makes air assault wary given the cargo and doubling late turn one gets them in good position for t2 and three.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
Praetorians though I've found work quite well as a late game hammer when you stick them in a minorus. The minrous gives AA which makes air assault wary given the cargo and doubling late turn one gets them in good position for t2 and three.

This is a good use that I didn't even consider. Ive always envisioned "whirling balls of death" eating their way through clouds of pink mist. But sitting back protecting blitz or another vulnerable objective does give them a purpose (and a scary response to it as well).

Cheers.

My Epic Army threads;
Batrep thread;

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just printed the combined list and have small questions/remarks.

- chimedon unit description mentions Tech Guard. The word is mentioned nowhere else, so it might lead a bit of confusion if somebody is not aware of the expression.
- Ark Mechanicus: what are the 4 tetrarch landers?
- war griphone titan list: I can take skitarii only with a corvus pod? or also on foot without pod?
- small typo in the skitarii list: "select one ordinatus WEAAPON to arm the majoris"

New buildings for 3,6,8mm scale

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks, I'll get those fixed.

Chimedon: Tech Guard is used as historical context here (that deployed with) rather than present (that deploys with). We could add a line that mentions the chimedon being used by modern skitarii forces if that helps any.

Ark: Tetrach landers are in the Cataphractii list. I added them to the Ark to future proof it once the Cataphractii list is included in the PDF.

AMTL: Yes, you must take a corvus to take skitarii in a titan list. You have to give up a weapon slot on a titan to take a skitarii detachment.

I'll get the typo fixed.