Login |  Register |  FAQ

Titan Legions- Post your list

Post subject: Re: Titan Legions- Post your list
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:58 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Warlords do show up and I think for a while the trend was two warlords. Mostly it's a cost issue. The average cost of a warlord is around 850 so taking two chews up around 2/3 of your points on two activations. Taking three leaves you with around 450 points on a 3k list. It's just not viable. Of course, if you look at the FW fluff you'd think that reavers and warhouds are the most common titans deployed :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote:
Forge Knights (200)
Forge Knights (200)
Recon Pl (100)
Thunderbolts (150)

I think you are using an older version of the list there. The three strong Forge Knight detachment was dropped since it's never performed well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mate,

I did it up on Armyforge. I will check your latest list.

Cheers
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The armyforge site mistakenly has Skitiarii in the Titan Legion list be 300 points not the 100 points they should be (0-1 per Corvus so points paid for in the loss of a shooty weapon). I've reported it and they're meant to be fixing it but might not have yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
Warlords do show up and I think for a while the trend was two warlords. Mostly it's a cost issue. The average cost of a warlord is around 850 so taking two chews up around 2/3 of your points on two activations. Taking three leaves you with around 450 points on a 3k list. It's just not viable. Of course, if you look at the FW fluff you'd think that reavers and warhouds are the most common titans deployed :)

So given that you're partly paying in activations, is it appropriately costed? Or do they pop up more in 4000 pt lists?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:35 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote:
So given that you're partly paying in activations, is it appropriately costed? Or do they pop up more in 4000 pt lists?

It's a tough call. You lose initiative which gives your opponent more freedom to move around. Most AMTL players try to get two objectives 30cm apart so the warlord can run in the middle and hold or contest both. They also have a pretty good amount of firepower they can put out. What usually happens is people ignore the warlord(s) and concentrate on reducing the easier to kill formations which leaves AMTL unable to prevent an opponent from contesting late in the game.

My experience is that larger titans don't usually put out enough firepower per turn to make up for the lost activations so you end up with the big titans sitting there rather impotently railing on a formation here or there while the rest ignore it and do what they want. That said they usually survive the game in pretty good shape and since titan firepower doesn't diminish as the game goes on they do end up doing more damage overall. They just don't feel like god machines on the field.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
Quote:

It's a tough call. You lose initiative which gives your opponent more freedom to move around. Most AMTL players try to get two objectives 30cm apart so the warlord can run in the middle and hold or contest both. They also have a pretty good amount of firepower they can put out. What usually happens is people ignore the warlord(s) and concentrate on reducing the easier to kill formations which leaves AMTL unable to prevent an opponent from contesting late in the game.

My experience is that larger titans don't usually put out enough firepower per turn to make up for the lost activations so you end up with the big titans sitting there rather impotently railing on a formation here or there while the rest ignore it and do what they want. That said they usually survive the game in pretty good shape and since titan firepower doesn't diminish as the game goes on they do end up doing more damage overall. They just don't feel like god machines on the field.

That's the impression I get (as an epic newbie who hasn't actually played with or vs AMTL, I hasten to add). When you buy a unit, you're buying firepower, mobility, resilience, footprint on the battlefield... and activations. Most people aren't buying 100 pt units because they have a desperate need for more sentinels (though they are useful). They're buying them as 100 point activations. Single warhounds cost more than pairs for this precise reason-- in that case you're explicitly paying for the activations.

As you're describing from your experience (again, this is purely theorycraft from my POV), it sounds like rather than being attack units, Warlords are essentially fire-support vehicles writ very, very large. They do massive damage, but you can't really use them effectively in assault or maneuver warfare or hold terrain.

So two questions: are the Warlords and Emperors surviving because they're marvelous at survival, or because they're not priority targets? (This includes armies underinvesting in TK weapons because very big titans aren't perceived as a threat.) Second, is their damage output sufficient to justify their points cost?

Anyway, this is pure uninformed meddling, but an interesting question.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Outside of Deathstrikes, not much can reliably kill a warlord or emperor in a single turn so rather than expend the firepower needed to crack one, most people concentrate on the smaller activations they CAN kill easily to hobble the AMTL ability to get objectives.

Firepower wise greatly depends on your load out, but generally upfront firepower isn't amazing although that averages out over time since the titan has the same firepower right down to the last DC unlike a Russ Company, for instance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now, 3.23 is out here, so I've updated the list a bit.

Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Legio Gryphonicus (NetEA v3.23 *UNDER DEVELOPMENT*)
==================================================

REAVER TITAN [775]
Close Combat Weapon, Melta Cannon, Laser Burner, Veteran Princeps, Carapace Multi-Lasers, Sacred Icon

REAVER TITAN [725]
2 Apocalypse Missile Launcher, Carapace Landing Pad, Legate, Carapace Multi-Lasers

WARHOUND TITAN [375]
2 Turbo-laser Destructor, Veteran Princeps, Single Weapon System Surcharge

WARHOUND TITAN [325]
2 Inferno Gun, Single Weapon System Surcharge, Veteran Princeps

WARHOUND TITAN [300]
Vulcan Megabolter, Plasma Blastgun, Veteran Princeps

RECON COHORT [100]
4 Sentinels

RECON COHORT [100]
4 Sentinels

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150]
2 Thunderbolts

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150]
2 Thunderbolts

Next time I'll try to squeeze in Skitarii for one Sentinel and the MC of the CC Reaver. But, where to get the last 50P required for this? I'm not quite sure wether to remove CML or SI. Or maybe some VP from the Warhounds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So far what I would make of 3.23 approved 3k tourney;

Reaver legate, veteran, cml 700
….Reaver weapon 1x plasma destructor, 2x gatling blaster 125
Reaver 2 veteran, cml 650
….Reaver 2 weapon 1x plasma destructor, 2x gatling blaster 125
Warhound vmg, pbg, veteran 300
sentinel 100
sentinel 100
t-bolt 150
t-bolt 150

9 activation. Every titan has veteran crew which is very cool for bm handling, unit preserving. Loads of MW is always cool. Has supreme commander, mobility and air power. What else do you need? :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wellspring wrote:
Warlords are essentially fire-support vehicles writ very, very large. They do massive damage, but you can't really use them effectively in assault or maneuver warfare or hold terrain.

Warlords can be used effectively in assaults, particularly if they have 1-2 dedicated weapons such as the excellent Las Burner. A Warlord with two of them has 16 x CC2+ attacks! They can't enter buildings but are normally found in ruins or woods as with walker they only have a 1 in 36 chance of taking a point of damage and the -1 to hit is well worth it.

The trick with taking a large titan like a Warlord or Emperor (or other titan from other armies) is to place your objectives accordingly. Place both your objectives 30cm apart and (so long as you're confident of getting there) both your objectives 30cm away from the enemy blitz forming a triangle. Double your titan a couple of turns and get it into position to contest the 3 objectives - it can potentially get you blitz, take and hold and prevent the enemy getting BTS or TSNP so they're more likely to have to try to deal with it or they could loose more if they ignore it.

The Emperor Titans are excellent, as they're so hard to kill and can do a lot of damage. Both sorts have such excellent, unlikely to be supressed, AA that you can use them as your sole AA in your army and save points elsewhere. The Imperator's AA4+ 90cm Titan Killer (D3) is very powerful. The Warmonger also allows the Lysander to be taken and 1325 for 2 formations isn't so bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I came up with this list. Haven't played it yet, but I will probably not change it much

WARLORD TITAN [875] 2 Turbo-laser Destructor, Plasma Blastgun, Volcano Cannon, Carapace Multi-Lasers
REAVER TITAN [650] 2 Apocalypse Missile Launcher, Plasma Cannon
REAVER TITAN [675] Close Combat Weapon, Melta Cannon, Gatling Blaster
WARHOUND TITAN [275] Vulcan Megabolter, Plasma Blastgun
WARHOUND TITAN [275] Vulcan Megabolter, Plasma Blastgun
THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150] 2 Thunderbolts
RECON COHORT [100] 4 Sentinels