Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

AMTL 3.17

Post subject: Re: AMTL 3.17
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:35 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

With the new list structure that's almost impossible to justify and even before then it was tough not taking them. In the previous incarnation I played with taking a formation of forge knights instead but having a couple of sentinels to protect my larger titans was too great. Combined with the need for warhounds to add some speed to the list, I didn't have any slots open for anything else.

The new structure means you only have two maybe three slots now for support which makes CML more desirable to keep those slots open for sentinels and it's even harder to justify taking thunderbolts much less infantry or bombers when can have warhounds.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

quick question why cant we in the AMTL list have the option of a pretorian combat servitors OR a hyspastia unit in a corvus pods?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

see, that's exactly my point vaaish, we have a lot of 'dead' options in the list because we dont have enough support slots to not just take sentinels with them. that seems to be a design flaw of the list (if a certain option is being taken at the exclusion of all else, that is a problem. i'm not suggesting we raise the price of sentinels, but if we dont lower the price of some of the other options, or better yet, open more slots, we'll never see anyone use forge-knights/infantry in the list

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:53 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'd like to try things with the support and scout slots switched. 1 scout per battle titan and 2 support. It does open up sentinel spam, but I think that there are few benefits for taking more sentinels than battle titans compared to the fragility of your list and might give some space for tbolts and other formations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
I'd like to try things with the support and scout slots switched. 1 scout per battle titan and 2 support. It does open up sentinel spam, but I think that there are few benefits for taking more sentinels than battle titans compared to the fragility of your list and might give some space for tbolts and other formations.
If this were implemented (I haven't much of an opinion either way) perhaps Sentinels could further be limited to 0-1 per battle titan formation? People would need to take other types of units then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Make sentinels part of the scout 0-1?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about including the cost of the infantry in to the pod so that they don't take up a slot?

Kris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

TRC, if they were part of the scout 0-1 I don't think we'd ever see them as I'd think a warhound pack or warhound would be better nearly every time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

but if it was a scout 0-2, then the sentinels could fit in there ok
probably cleaner than a "0-1 per battle titans" in an expanded support slot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This might make players think more than auto building list, having a screen or support? We have to remember that this IS a Titan list. If you ran all Battle Titans and some Warhounds that would be the fluffiest. With the following suggestion we might see an increase of Battle Titans with certain additions, which is what we want no?

Maybe this:

For every Battle Titan you may take One Support and One Scout Choice

Scout Formations
-Warhound Scout Titan
-Warhound Scout Pack
-Recon Squad (Sentinels)

Support Formations
-Forge Knights
-Skitarii Demi-Century
-Thunderbolt Squadron
-Marauder Squadron
-Lysander Fighter
-0-1 Orbital Support

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

or you could make it 2 support choices but not allow duplicates within each one, like upgrades in a guard list?
that way if you take the traditional "3 reavers 2 warhounds, 2 sentinels, thunderbolts" list you would still have 3 slots for infantry or forge knights or whatever...
i also like the idea of including infantry in the corvus, because it seems like a rather junk choice at the moment. it's a free weapon until you spend the points on the infantry to go in it, and then it's still transporting infantry when it could be Moar Titans!
i like the idea of a reaver with two corvus arms and a corvus head all loaded with troops, but you'd be damned hard pressed to buy the 3 battle titans needed just to supply the infantry!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:

thats entirely what i'm thinking about. why not have two slots of support so that you can have infantry running with their titan, even if they are in a corvus pod. (though i'd love to have a corvus pod that would fit on a reaver titan. the current and only one only fits on a warlord and are hard to come by).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hell i'd have fun with a reaver and two corvus pods. now THATS a battle taxie. talk about taking hits and dropping of 20 troops half way across the field. thats a 60 cm move to drop off troops. or just leave them in there till next turn unless you get creamed by ork stompa mobs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On limiting warhoumds why not just say "the number of warhound packs and titans may not be more than the number of battle titans"

And maybe droping sentials for a new unit with the scout rule like "Recon servitor" and mabye play with the unit size and stats (ie changing its speed) so they wouldnt be a no brainer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Bloodman, the scout rule and low cost is what makes sentinels so good. Park a warlord on your blitz, wrap a sentinel detachment around it and they don't even have to move to be useful. Second, making scout option 0-1 per battle titan does what you are suggesting, but in a way that's simpler.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next