Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Skitarii v1.12

Post subject: Skitarii v1.12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Latest Version: Version 1.12

Changes for Version 1.12:

Removed Super-Heavy Tank Company (to bring more emphasis to the Ordinatii & tank company upgrade SHT)

Moved Tank Company to Support Choices, (to bring more emphasis to Ordinatii and Skitarii as Core to the army)

Moved single Ordinatus Minoris from Support to Upgrades. (to allow Core Skitarii to accompany it, or allow it to add its firepower to that of a Majoris)

Deleted Deathstrike Launchers. (they duplicated the role of Minorii armed with Support Missiles)

Added Macharius Heavy Tank Company. (The Ad-Mech are known to use Machariuses)

Deleted Hydra, Hellhound and Leman Russ Upgrades. (To bring more emphasis onto the Skitarii infantry, and to demonstrate the different organisational style of the Skitarii as compared to the IG)

Restricted Allies to 33% of the list. (to prevent aircraft or warhound spam)

-----

The Skitarii list should take precedence for Adeptus Mechanicus playtesting for the next few months. Once we have this balanced we will move on to balancing the Knightworld list.

-----

I would like to put out a call for unit pictures.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Arrrgh... Latin suffix mangle alert! Macharii.  :whistle:

Anyhow, glad to see this version up and running. Not sure I like the removal of the Superheavy Company and Hydra options, as the Macharii are a relitively obsolete design compared to The Baneblade variants, IIRC, and it strikes me as odd that the AdMech would go to war with anything but the best, Titanicus not withstanding. Removing the organic air cover rubs me for generally the same reasons.

We'll see how this works out through playtesting though.

*Note to self - get more red paint*

SG

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree about the SHT Company, think it should stay as a core choice for background reasons at least - particularly considering they can have Macharius and Leman Russ Companies in this version of the list but not the more advanced (and thus more core to the whole AdMech ethos) Superheavies.

Like all the other changes though, particularly the Ordinatus as an upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

Removed Super-Heavy Tank Company (to bring more emphasis to the Ordinatii & tank company upgrade SHT)

i like this makes a lot of sence that the admech would keep the best for themselves and 'hire out' the rest i.e baneblades etc

Quote: 

Moved Tank Company to Support Choices, (to bring more emphasis to Ordinatii and Skitarii as Core to the army)

no problems here seems like a good idea!

Quote: 

Moved single Ordinatus Minoris from Support to Upgrades. (to allow Core Skitarii to accompany it, or allow it to add its firepower to that of a Majoris)

this is the only one i dont like i was using them to support skitarii when they could be taken as a single support choice, maybe keep them as support and an upgrade?  :whistle: keeps everyone happy  :laugh: or make the super  heavies an upgrade and keep the minoris a support?

Quote: 

Added Macharius Heavy Tank Company. (The Ad-Mech are known to use Machariuses)

this i like  :grin: maybe time to add in your AA version?

Quote: 

Deleted Hydra, Hellhound and Leman Russ Upgrades. (To bring more emphasis onto the Skitarii infantry, and to demonstrate the different organisational style of the Skitarii as compared to the IG)

see above

also it appears that a tech-priest has an Invulnerable Save while a tech-lord doesnt just wondering if thats intended?

deathsarmour

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:47 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (deathsarmour @ Jan. 26 2010, 13:28 )

...it appears that a tech-priest has an Invulnerable Save while a tech-lord doesnt just wondering if thats intended?

Tech Lords are characters added to a Tech Priest stand, thus they will have everything at Tech Priest does, plus their add-ons.

SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I like the changes but I don't think what's been done goes quite far enough to make the Skitarii different from IG.

1. I still think that the Majoris should be 0-1 if it stays as a core choice to emphasize its rarity.

2. I would think about dropping the artillery support formation as this feels too guardesque and the role can be accomplished using barrage missiles on minorus companies which gives more weight to both minorus and barrage missiles.

3. Transports. I agree that the chimera seems a bit lowly for AdMech but I'm torn between completely removing and leaving AdMech with only gorgon transport options or giving them rhinos. Rhinos seem more unique to me, but too marines for admech. With the minorus being an upgrade option for the skitarii, perhaps a fun and interesting transport option would be the single minorus with a corvus assault pod but that would require the minorus getting a speed boost.

Speaking of speed boosts, the minorus needs to move at least 15cm or I find it doubtful it will often be taken as an upgrade to skitarii because it slows down already slow infantry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Vaaish @ Jan. 26 2010, 14:59 )

Speaking of speed boosts, the minorus needs to move at least 15cm or I find it doubtful it will often be taken as an upgrade to skitarii because it slows down already slow infantry.

Though the minoris is bought as an upgrade for the skitarii, it represents having a skitarri bodyguard for the minoris as they do in the background. As such, they're likely to remain fairly stationary, probably as a blitz guard.

There's no way the minoris justifies a 15cm move.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

I still think that the Majoris should be 0-1 if it stays as a core choice to emphasize its rarity.

this, with the change i suggested to the critical damage would do me fine

just noticed since vaaish and zombocom are discussing the minoris speed that on the referance sheet it states 10cm and on the unit entries (?) it states 15cm...

Quote: 

Tech Lords are characters added to a Tech Priest stand, thus they will have everything at Tech Priest does, plus their add-ons.

thanks Spectrar Ghost just shows i should spend less time modelling and more time playing!

deathsarmour

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

on the referance sheet it states 10cm and on the unit entries (?) it states 15cm...

Typo; it should be 10cm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote: 

Though the minoris is bought as an upgrade for the skitarii, it represents having a skitarri bodyguard for the minoris as they do in the background. As such, they're likely to remain fairly stationary, probably as a blitz guard.

There's no way the minoris justifies a 15cm move.

Given the Minorus is WE and can be picked out for targeting, will likely cost more with the weapons attached, I don't see much if any benefit over taking one as an upgrade rather than a single super heavy instead to provide the blitz guard support. A single shadowsword has better armor, more DC, equivalent weapons, better speed, and comes in cheaper than upgrading the skitarii with a minorus with the added benefit of providing you an additional activation.

With the minorus being smaller than the majoris, which is also 10cm move, and focused as the primary core armored formation for AdMech I don't see how a 15cm move couldn't be justified for the minorus simply to allow them to stay with the troops.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yay, just in time for the Rumble in Rockville this weekend.  :D

Thoughts based purely on the initial reading:

- Thanks for using pics of Mk I Titans! I still prefer them over all other versions

- I liked being able to take Hydras and Hellhounds as upgrades

- I really like the option of being able to take a Gorgon for Praetorians

- I like the addition of the Macharius. It gives the list that "ancient technology" touch

- I understand the reasoning for limiting Allies to 33%, but without actually playing I'm not sure how it will effect my army building process

One minor grammatical mistake in the List Note Construction: Titan Weapons section. It reads, "A Titan may not be upgraded with more or less weapons...", should be "more or fewer weapons".

Overall:  :agree:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Evil and Chaos @ Jan. 26 2010, 11:02 )

I have too many SHT's  :sulk: Can't complain as I drew the "Forgeworld error in your favour collect 6 free tanks" card.

Lol my armies will now consist of several suspiciously shadowsword and stormsword shaped minoris companies  :p

Aside from that it all looks good, can't wait to try it out, particualy the macharatti.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

My initial thought is that I REALLY don't like having to take Hydras in groups of 3 (the WORST formation size in Epic).

It basically forces the Ad Mech player to take Thunderbolts and then they get less room to use Titans (which really should be available to an Ad Mech army) due to the reduced Allies allowance.

Was there really no way to limit the spamming of certain units besides dropping the Allies allowance?
50% Allies (Quote from change log Allowed 50% points to be spent on Titans) really helped this list stand apart from the Guard lists.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I have to agree on the Hydras. I think either, a] Remove Hydra Platoon and add Hydra upgrade, or b] (I just know I'll catch flak for this) add options for Chimerax and Chimerdon.

Haha, flak...  :boo:  :shutup:  :boo:

Doing the Chimaera variants would also help differentiate from IG. Does anybody knw if the variants are STC or field conversions, fluffwise? The AM, of course, would not take feild conversions.

SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bear in mind I'm thinking of introducing a Macharius variant with a Hydra turret on top.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next