Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

[OLD] Knight World 2.1

Post subject: Re: Knight World 2.1
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New battlereport up: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=27504

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the reports guys, I'll be getting in one tomorrow against Black Legion. Any thoughts at this point on what's overpowered in the list?

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I still think both powerlance and shocklance on Lancers might be a little much... With their 30cm move they're assault monsters right now.

Maybe change Castellans/Crusaders main cannon to MW 3+ and no BP option?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
Maybe change Castellans/Crusaders main cannon to MW 3+ and no BP option?

I'd be okay with that, since historically they weren't barrage weapons.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:17 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think we need a game or two where someone actually chooses to shoot MW instead of barrage...

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i shot MW in the latest game against marines!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
I think we need a game or two where someone actually chooses to shoot MW instead of barrage...

My last game I did. Turn 1 I used BP, but regretted it. Turns 2 and 3 I used MW and liked it better.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe MW3+ (TK) for each shot? Or would that be too good?

Post subject: Re: Knight World
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The speed freak oponent is in Warzaw on vacations at the moment so I can't ask him. the SM player said that he liked the list, thoughht the Lancers where a little too scary with all the FS options but didn't feel overly scared by any unit on the board.

Back to the Castellan/Crusader. I was thinking at just 1 MW hit might take away e heavy firepower feel from the custodians. How about 2xMW4+?? Just a thought because maybe MW3+ is not that scary and represents the heavy fire power of the custodians.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think that Castellans/Crusaders should lose the BP ability of their weapons, this would give every swarm army an advantage. The howitzers, while vulnerable, are nice (and should stay in the list) - but two templates are always better than one. I think the advantages that some formations have are balanced by the lower activation count, their vulnerability to clipping engagements/support fire, trying to maximize firepower when each Knight blocks LOS and the pretty average stats of the Knights themselves (not asking for stats to be changed btw).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For the Castellans/Crusaders, I like the options to shoot the barrage, if you remove it the only option is the howitzers which die easily. I tend to only use it against hordes though, and then usually when I can perform a sustain fire. If I'm advancing or having to double to draw LOS then I'll usually use the MW.

On the Lancer, are these guys really FF monsters? sorry I just don't see it... They're only averaging 1 standard and .3 MW hits each and then only when they charge (.6 standard hits other wise) - am I missing something?

I still think the shock lance could go though and be rolled into a +1 to CC or the FF stat?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@dave - I've had a small test game with the latest list. Nothing amazing, main points of note were a pala unit being caught in a crossfire between advancing land speeders and the whirlwinds - suddenly all they had was one 6+ save - trust me, that hurt! Felt fair though, my all knight list has been beating the hell out of the space marines i've been playing. This particular game I managed 5-0 turn 4 :D
Other main things - other unit of palas got air assaulted by 8 ass marines + 2 chaplains and their thunderhawk, we fought two rounds of combat, to the mutual destruction of everybody except 1 ass marine stand :P
The lancers + Baron started on the flank against vindicators and annihilators - they dominated it with absolutely no trouble. I'm gonna play orks next week, against someone who I know is no pushover, so I'm going to watch carefully, but in this game at least, the unit felt crazy overpowered. I'll try it against many different flavours of foe, see how it does.

But the main thing I wanted to say was that I've discovered a major ''issue' (IMO) with the list. reason being in this 2.1 list, you gave lancers both scout AND power lances, for no points increase. That was great and works fine, plenty more testing needed, but you gave the Baron a shock lance and yet bumped him up +25 pts. Nothing incredible in and of itself, BUT by doing so you created a situation whereas the armys SC is ALWAYS the SECOND MOST expensive unit in the entire list. (3 knights of any flavour + Baron = 500 pts) Not necessarily a problem, BUT it falls down when you realise that the ONLY way possible then to NOT have your SC as your BTS is to take the army lists MOST expensive unit (6 knights of any flavour = 600 pts). That means that in order to have both an SC and NOT make it your BTS unit, you HAVE to spend 1100 pts on just 2 activations!

Before you bumped up his points, and he was +175, there were many ways to not have him as the BTS unit, as you could take a 5 strong knight unit of any flavour (even knights warden) and they would then be the BTS. As the cheapest example, 3 knights pala + Baron = 475 pts, 5 knights warden = 480 pts. Thats only 955 pts spent on 2 activations to ensure the SC isn't the BTS. That seemed like a fair deal to me, plenty of ways to help avoid ppl sniping your SC unit first chance they got. As it stands now though, In order to not have my SC as my BTS, I'm effectively having to pay +145 points than I used to to not let that happen, all because of a +25 point increase on the Baron.

Was this intentional? It feels not 0.o

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:14 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The Baron increase was intentional, 110 poiints more than a lancer get's you stat bumps, fearless and SC all for only the loss of Scout. Considering most SCs run 50 to 100 points for the ability alone that still a bargain.

I had another game tonight too. I'm going to drop the Shock Lance from the Lancers in the next revision and bring them back to what they were in 2.0 (just with Scout).

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next