Login |  Register |  FAQ

[BatRep] Nids Vs Necrons

Post subject: [BatRep] Nids Vs Necrons
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played a 3K battle vs NO-1 H3r3 on thursday.  I brought nids he was going to bring necrons or ulthwe.

It went to the 4th turn and I won 2-0 (blitzkrieg and take and hold)

Nids army

Tyrant 1
6 carnifex (3 of each type)

Tyrant 2
2 Haruspex
2 Dacos-exocrine
4 lycos-exocrine

3 lots of
3 tyranid warriors
6 termigaunts
3 gargoyles
3 hormagaunts
2 raveners
1 zonathropes

6 genestealers
brood lord

Heirophant

3 mycetic spores

Not sure what the necrons formations were exactly.  They had 3 phallanxes (and boasted heavily) 2 destroyer formation (1 heavy, 1 normal), 1 formation of flayed ones, three monolith formations, a tomb complex and a Aeonic orb (shudder)

Garrisons
Genestealer brood in a wood and a carni assault brood behind a wood (it has to nbe done for the look on your opponents face when half a dozen carnies are deployed on the halfway line)

The necrons deployed the Aeonic orb, I deployed in a long line with a slight refused flank to the left.

Deployment looked like this.

Can't really remember what happened so this is an overview.

Tyrant brood 1 takes alot of abuse and loses about 10 carnies (gotta love spawning) over the course of the game, in return they place a few BMs and kill a few warriors in a firefight (initiated by the necrons).

Large necon formations are nasty.  One took down 4 carnies in a firefight, portaled to the otherside of the board where they were broken by the bio titans breath weapon.  Only to bounce of an assult from a warrior brood and wipeout a followup stealer assault (only 4 stands of stealers) for no lose.  Portaled over to my blitzkrieg and marshalled back all its troops.

Aeonic orb is sickingly good.  First turn it pops up and fires, misses with one and causes 1 point of damage on the biotitan.  Turn three it shoots it agai and does 11 points of damage.  I had no way of dealing with it (damn skimmers) and it was the BTS.  Coupled with its range it dominated the WE battle field, luckily it is designed to only take on WEs.

Lyco-Exocrines are great fun!

After spends a few turns doubling every where tyrant brood 2 managed to sustaine on the large phallanx.  Only the exocrines could shoot but they broke the phallanx. 2xMW5+ is nasty, even if it is short ranged.

Funnest moment was when I marched one of my warrior broods over the rivver and watched several termigaunt stands get swept away and the zonatrhope refusing to cross since it didn't have agility.  Though we did watch with bated breath for the triple one for my warriors crossing (luckily they all made it).

Dice rolling
Overall average, failed a few activations (mainly for combined assaults) and couldn't roll a 5+ from a bucket o dice half the time.  However the dice would seem to favour the underdogs in an engagement.

Such as the broken 'cron formation that beat two of mine and my formation gaurding the tomb complex beating off a phallanx with monolith support, in a firefight.. missing half the termigaunts.

Rules bending
A monolith advanced into a wood to pop up on my tyrant brood 1 and failed its difficult terrain test, we let it shoot any way.  Since it would skim over the wood fire then pop down.  This is a bending of the rules I'm willing to play with even in a torniment.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Hena @ 12 Dec. 2005 (06:45))
Did he use the v3.2 of necron list? There is 3.5, the links are in necron board. In that the orb can fire 12BP instead of that kill titan shot. And its not slow anymore (well less range but...). Also broken formations should phase out, so they just vanish when broken (not stay in field).

Did you try to assault monoliths? Against my horde version they are not nice. Skimmers and fire against each target within range in assault.

I think it was the 3.2 version (NO-1 was going to post the report but is snowed under at his new job).

We had the orb with 2x Tk(D6) slow firing and a 4 (I think) BP 30cm.

We also read it that cron formations phased out at the end of the turn.

I didn't engage any monoliths in firefights but suffered them as supporting formations, not that nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One think I forgot to mention was the distint lack of killing the carnies did.  They managed to kill a few warriors in a firefight, and place a few BMs on formations.  There lack of killing was probably two fold.  Skimmers and N0-1 not getting too close with his foot troops.  However they are a very good force multiplier.

The combination of fearless RA and the ability to garrision, coupled with a cross over fear from 40K means that people use a disportinal amount of points to take them out.

However saying that I think that the Vennom cannos are underpowered.  I'm thinking AP3+/AT5+ would be more fitting.  True they lack AP in 40K and only glance.  But they are assault weapons with a S of 8-10, so anything hit will stay down.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers for that, Sam - I haven't really had time to get round to this.

My army (with a slightly updated version of the 3.2 list, using the more recent version of Implacable Assault and the 2x shots on the Destroyers @ 6 for 360pts per formation) consisted of the below:

1x Tomb Complex

1x Phalanx (1 Lord, 9 Warriors, 3 Immortals)

2x Phalanx (1 Lord, 6 Warriors)

1x Venator (6 Flayed Ones)

1x Eques (6 Destroyers)

1x Eques (6 Heavy Destroyers)

3x Monolith

1x ?onic Orb

IMO, Warriors are good, Monoliths are painfully vulnerable yet at the same time crucial (though excellent for misdirected flank attacks, if you get it right), and Destroyers are fun... the ?onic Orb is a bit of a one-trick pony (I'll have to have a look at the 3.5 list, though), but the Abbatoir was too slow for my tastes. Phase Out, in the 3.2 list, happens in the end phase instead of rallying. As already said, I'll have a look at the 3.5 for the next time I unleash the Necrons.

In actual fact, the game was a lot closer than the end result might display. At the end of turn 3, we both had Blitzkrieg and Take and Hold goals, and suddenly abysmal rolling on my part (I was winning that last turn assault by 6-to-1 before the dice-off, and still lost..., followed by a failed Retain action from the ?onic Orb) prevented me from keeping the game even in that fourth turn.

I agree that the Carnifexes were relatively unimpressive in all but their ability to distract me and take a fair amount of firepower, but the Biotank brood was unexpectedly efficient, and a Synapse Node-less army was rather agressive, which did keep me thinking - it's really, really difficult to redeploy far enough away to get some breathing room, at least for Necrons.