Login |  Register |  FAQ

[BatRep] Tau wiped Tyranids...

Post subject: [BatRep] Tau wiped Tyranids...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Last Saturday I had a 2700 Points Game with Tau against The Nids. I took an almost all Skimmer Army ( a single Stealth Contingent teleported later). And the Tau won without the nids having shot once or assault. Very scaring for me and my opponent. I lost a single Hammerhead because I forgot to move him along the others (Out of formation). So the question is to you the Nid Experts: How do you fight an Skimmer army? I moved nearly all the time my tanks, only sustaining the Stingrays, while my Tetras marked all Swarms. The nids had to constantly MARCH ( at least the did ) to come by the end of the 3rd turn in shooting range of their own weapons, while I sat at theirs and wiped the 50% Synapse Creatures - so 2-0 for the Tau.

Comments please.
P.S : The nids also lost a game earlier against marines in the tie breaker. So I guess it was the heavy shooting of the Tau and the greater mobility.

Cheers!
Steele

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Steele @ 28 Nov. 2005 (12:07))
Last Saturday I had a 2700 Points Game with Tau against The Nids. I took an almost all Skimmer Army ( a single Stealth Contingent teleported later). And the Tau won without the nids having shot once or assault. Very scaring for me and my opponent. I lost a single Hammerhead because I forgot to move him along the others (Out of formation). So the question is to you the Nid Experts: How do you fight an Skimmer army? I moved nearly all the time my tanks, only sustaining the Stingrays, while my Tetras marked all Swarms. The nids had to constantly MARCH ( at least the did ) to come by the end of the 3rd turn in shooting range of their own weapons, while I sat at theirs and wiped the 50% Synapse Creatures - so 2-0 for the Tau.

Comments please.
P.S : The nids also lost a game earlier against marines in the tie breaker. So I guess it was the heavy shooting of the Tau and the greater mobility.

Cheers!
Steele

Hello!

What version of 'Nids were you using?

Tau and 'Nids are 50/50 in our gaming group.  And the current WIP 'Nid list has quite a few shooty options as well as some fast fire-fight units.

What was the make up of the Tyranid list you were playing?  If the 'Nid player went pure tooth-n-claw there's nothing they could've done against *any* type of skimmer army, of which almost all the races can field.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

He used the current WIP list ,by Chroma?

There where a lot of vehicles , a Dominatrix, a Harridan, and lots of grunts. No Artillery. Maybe he thought that I would come to him as fast as possible?

Steele

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tau and Eldar both have a lot of Skimmers/Pop-ups, but the Eldar have better C/Cbt Troops ... so both could lay out a lot ranged weapons (at least the way we play it).  We gave the 'Nids some Bio-Tanks (Old Space Fleet models), but still the 'Nids have to use cover to close the range to get into FF/CC ... but using cover should be a tactic used by all Armies ! My 'Nids and Tau are still SIB, so I'm only going on past gaming experience ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the information Steele!

I tend to garrison 60-80% of my Tyranids so I find myself halfway up the board before the game begins, so the enemy is a lot closer.  Add to that teleporting Synapse Nodes and such, and it can get messy very quickly.  If Tyranids start everything on their baseline, they are going to have a turn or two of getting shot to pieces which, even with their great numbers, they probably can't handle.  Add Tau Combined Fire to that and swarms vanish in a flash if they can't get stuck in right away.

Laying a blastmarker or two on a small skimmer unit can often be enough to tip an engagement to the Tyranids favour, even if they have no FF value!  Outnumbering and blastmarkers have won me several close combats.  Don't think you can't win just cuz you can't hurt them directly!  *laugh*

Swarms of shooty broods, Zoanthropes, Lyco-crines, can really put the hurt on the enemy.  The 'Nids have the potential for a lot of (low range) MW shots that can do damage even on a double if you mass fire. Disrupt attacks are good too.

A Tyranid army that only focuses on close-combat is going to have a hard time against almost any force.

I'm really surprised the Dominatrix and Harridan weren't able to do more damage.  Obviously, the copious amounts of AT fire the Tau bring could but a real damper on them, but I'd still hope they'd be able to do *something*.  *laugh*

Would it be possible to post a more detailed battle report?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Chroma @ 28 Nov. 2005 (16:33))

What kind of Info do you need. I am afraid that I can give you the Army Composition. The Terrain maybe. The moves, I think I can remember most of them. Could take some time.

Steele

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Steele @ 28 Nov. 2005 (16:50))

What kind of Info do you need. I am afraid that I can give you the Army Composition. The Terrain maybe. The moves, I think I can remember most of them. Could take some time.

Steele

Army comp for both sides and terrain would be cool!  A turn-by-turn analysis isn't really necessary, I'd just like to see what was fighting what!  *laugh*

What did the Tyranid player think was wrong with his army?  How was his luck?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Chroma @ 28 Nov. 2005 (17:56))
Quote (Steele @ 28 Nov. 2005 (16:50))

Steele

Army comp for both sides and terrain would be cool! ?A turn-by-turn analysis isn't really necessary, I'd just like to see what was fighting what! ?*laugh*

What did the Tyranid player think was wrong with his army? ?How was his luck?

Hi Chroma,
I finally found the Army Lists, although I can?t remember the final Swarm composition, but I think the Tyranid Warriors were tied to the Hormagants only. so here they come.

Tyranids:
Synapse:
1 Dominatrix 500 Points
1 Harridan 150 Points
1 Warrior Swarm 150 Points
2 Lesser Synapse Nodes 100 Points

Independent:
4 Mycetic Spore Clouds 100 Points

Uncommon:
2 Barbed Hierodules 300 Points
3 Lyco-Exocrines 225 Points
3 Dacto-Exocrines 225 Points
2 Carnifex Venom 100 Points
2 Carnifex Screamer 100 Points
1 Zoanthrope 50 Points

Common:
18 Termagants 270 Points
12 Hormagants 180 Points
5 Ravener 150 Points
5 Gargoyles

It was his 3rd game using nids, so I think he hadn?t enough grip on them.

Tau:
1 HH Cadre + 1 Swordfish + 1 Skyray 475 Points
1 HH Cadre + 1 Swordfish 400 Points
1 Stealth Contingent 275 Points
1 Stingray Contingent + 2 Stingrays 375 Points
1 Tetra Contingent + 4 Piranhas 275 Points
2 Tigersharks with Ion Cannons 300 Points
2 Morays (1 Ion and 1 Rail) 600 Points

For the Map I fear not remebering enough, but think of 6 Squares (60cmx60cm) , 3 long 2 across. In each of the squares roughly 2-3 terrain pieces, with a huge central dominating ruined city block (40cm x 60cm), in which the Tetras stayed almost the all game .

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Steele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Steele @ 29 Nov. 2005 (18:25))
Tyranids:
Synapse:
1 Dominatrix 500 Points

Thanks for the list, Steele!

Hmmm... taking a Dom at 2700 points is always a bit risky... replacing it with a Hive Tyrant and that's 400 points of independents that I think this army sorely needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Chroma @ 29 Nov. 2005 (19:32))
Quote (Steele @ 29 Nov. 2005 (18:25))
Tyranids:
Synapse:
1 Dominatrix 500 Points

Thanks for the list, Steele!

Hmmm... taking a Dom at 2700 points is always a bit risky... replacing it with a Hive Tyrant and that's 400 points of independents that I think this army sorely needed.

I think he wanted a high DC creature that is able to churn out a lot Firepower and 2d6 spawning. I?ll see him Saturday, then I ask him the further details if you still need some.

Steele