Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Lists] Are we a hoard army?

Post subject: [Lists] Are we a hoard army?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (nealhunt @ 18 Nov. 2005 (15:59))
I hesitate to simply up the required brood %, but that is an option. ?I would prefer to look for a way to make hordes more attractive instead.

I've found, once a Bug player actually tries the "large horde" approach they realize just how effective it can be!  

Swamping a Titan with 15 Gaunts and some Warriors is so much more satisfying than just shooting at it. *laugh*

Since some of the Common Brood point costs have gone up a bit, should we look at min 33% Commons?  

I'm not sure forcing people to play *really* big broods is the best way to go, especially from an acquiring models standpoint!  The list as it currently stands can represent the Tyranids at any time during Phase IV.

The next list I field, I'm hoping to do *all* infantry... so, we'll see how that goes!

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The real problem at the moment in trying out a larger allotment of common brood troops is the rarity of the models.  This is having a detrimental effect on play testing.  I can only field a 3K army now that termagaunts have gone up by 50%. :down:   Before then I struggled to meet a simple 2K7 torniment list.

I'm not sure if reducing independants to 25% is the way to go.  I know that will just push meinto getting more tank bugs, or even just make it up in SHBT.

I'm not sure about this, but one idea I've been... I think it is thinking about.., is a redefinition on how spawning work.  Instead of the common brood = 1 pip uncommom brood = 2 pips and uncommon SHBT = 2*DC pips. use it that when you spawn you deploy d6*10pts of troops.  Thus a elite ravener only army will be able to spawn back fewer models than one filled with gun fodder, er I mean Termigaunts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (ragnarok @ 18 Nov. 2005 (17:52))
The real problem at the moment in trying out a larger allotment of common brood troops is the rarity of the models.  This is having a detrimental effect on play testing.  I can only field a 3K army now that termagaunts have gone up by 50%. :down:   Before then I struggled to meet a simple 2K7 torniment list.

However should model problems in playtesting stage REALLY be much of issue? If it's possible to make balanced horde aspect with lots of gaunts on premise that when bug list gets released the model problem goes away as small bugs can be get again without resorting to ebay(of course how much bugs you get in box remains to be seen).

I just find it odd if list gets limited by how hard models are CURRENTLY to get. It would be like limiting number of tau firewarriors because FW ones are prohibitebly expensive while tanks etc are more affordable  :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (tneva82 @ 18 Nov. 2005 (18:01))
I just find it odd if list gets limited by how hard models are CURRENTLY to get. It would be like limiting number of tau firewarriors because FW ones are prohibitebly expensive while tanks etc are more affordable ?:D

Well, with the reality of more models ever being released constantly up in the air (shades of Chaos in the last Epic interation), its at least a minor concern...

But, yeah, in playtesting proxy/counts-as units shouldn't be an issue at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Hena @ 18 Nov. 2005 (16:09))
How about changing the independent to be 25% max?

That's not a bad idea.

And it allows for a different percentage for a vanguard forces armylist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Chroma @ 18 Nov. 2005 (18:16))
Well, with the reality of more models ever being released constantly up in the air (shades of Chaos in the last Epic interation), its at least a minor concern...

True though I'm hoping they will release atleast the old moulds into sale again. That shouldn't be too hard and atleast they seem to have release date for chaos release set so why not on tyranids as well.