Login |  Register |  FAQ

[BetRep] Sixth Game with Tyranids: vs Orks

Post subject: [BetRep] Sixth Game with Tyranids: vs Orks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lining up another couple of Tyranid games for tomorrow; first up is Orks. ?Not sure how two hand-to-hand armies are going to do against each other... of course, the Orks may be bringing Soopa-Gunz!

Please feel free to comment on any of our test rules!

Rules Changes Used

Expectorator: 200 Points, 2BP, Disrupt
Termagants: 15 points, CC 6+ and FF5+
Hormagaunts; 15cm move
Raveners: 35 points, 15cm move, Infiltrate
Gargoyles: CC6+, FF 5+, Bio-Plasma Attack (+1CC), Skimmer
Carnifex: Bio-Plasma Attack (+1CC)
Lictors: 150 points for 3, only one MW attack, gain Commander ability, cannot claim objectives, only contest, lose reinforced armour gain invulnerable save
Dacto-Exocrines: Super Spore Mines 45cm 1BP, Indirect Fire, Disrupt
Lesser Synapse Node: 50 points, gain Scout and "Ripper Swarm", CC6+ and FF6+

Spawning: 1 pip per Common Brood, 2 pips per Uncommon Brood/DC
Tyranid BTS Goal: 50% or more Synapse Creatures destroyed.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Hena @ 10 Nov. 2005 (16:57))
Btw. Why are you using 15cm move with hormagaunts and added infiltrate to raveners?

In the new Codex both Hormagaunts and Raveners are "Beasts" so they've got the Fast Charge special ability, though they still move at a normal "6 inches" in the movement phase.

We felt reducing them both to 15cm move and giving them infiltate better represented this.  For one to have it and not the other seems strange, since they both move the same in 40k (Yeah, I know that's not a great justification.).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm going to be using similar experimental idea when I play NO_1 on the 8th (long way away I know).  Not sure if bioplasma on carnies is a good idea.  they already have 3 attacks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (ragnarok @ 10 Nov. 2005 (18:05))
I'm going to be using similar experimental idea when I play NO_1 on the 8th (long way away I know). ?Not sure if bioplasma on carnies is a good idea. ?they already have 3 attacks.

Considering in the five games I've played so far, I believe I've gotten Carnifex into close combat two times... that's *two* Carnifex... *sigh*  What with skimmers and such, they can really be circumvented.  I've taken to fielding Venomfex now so that the Carnies can do something!

Maybe they'll need an up-tick in points or the ability will be too much.  I'm hoping to put that to the test vs Orks and Marines they'll be able to do more damage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Hena @ 10 Nov. 2005 (18:20))
Well with 15cm move hormies and raveners can garrison with TW. So I'm not sure if its a bonus or not (10cm assault range from 40cm to 30cm is not so major problem as 12cm to 20cm). And giving raveners infiltrate make them better although you pay for it in points. But since we have the spawning I'm not sure its nice that they can be spawned for 1pip...

They can garrison anyway with a Synapse Node, along with Warriors, in the same place, so I don't see a problem... and they still get shot a lot!

As to spawning with 1 pip, it still means they've been killed someplace else.  If you just buy lots of Raveners, you're not going to have numbers to overwhelm enemies.  Heck, playing against Black Legion there were a couple of combats where the 'Nids were outnumbered!  *laugh*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Hena @ 10 Nov. 2005 (18:37))
But enough for rules for now. I'm waiting for the report with anticipation :D.

Thanks!  Well, the game's not until tomorrow and my friends haven't sent me their lists yet so I can't even do the preliminary setup for the report!  *sigh*  I was just trying to get ahead a little...  

More to come...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:57 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (Chroma @ 10 Nov. 2005 (17:28))
Quote (Hena @ 10 Nov. 2005 (18:20))
Well with 15cm move hormies and raveners can garrison with TW. So I'm not sure if its a bonus or not (10cm assault range from 40cm to 30cm is not so major problem as 12cm to 20cm). And giving raveners infiltrate make them better although you pay for it in points. But since we have the spawning I'm not sure its nice that they can be spawned for 1pip...

They can garrison anyway with a Synapse Node, along with Warriors, in the same place, so I don't see a problem... and they still get shot a lot!

As to spawning with 1 pip, it still means they've been killed someplace else. ?If you just buy lots of Raveners, you're not going to have numbers to overwhelm enemies. ?Heck, playing against Black Legion there were a couple of combats where the 'Nids were outnumbered! ?*laugh*

I've used  hormis with 15cm move, infiltrate for a while.
Much better.

I haven't used raveners much - I agree they should probably be 15cm move, infiltrate (and armour 5+, from a discussion in a previous thread). However, I'm still not happy with them... like what role are they playing here?? Why are they classed as a 'common' brood creature? They are supposed to be a warrior genus creature without synapse, which burrows beneath enemy positions and pops up doing surprise attacks. They are just like a big fat hormigaunt at the moment... can't we do something more interesting??  :80:  

Also I look forward to seeing your report. You're doing some great work with these reports Chroma!  :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Why have you changed the licotrs save?  I assume it is to do with their cameleon abilities but it doesn't seem high enough.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Armies

Tyranid Horde - 2500 Points

Synapse
2 x Hive Tyrant
2 x Tyranid Warrior Broods
2 x Lesser Synapse Nodes
1 x Greater Synapse Node

Independent Broods
1 x Lictor Brood
1 x Expectorator

Common Broods
12 x Termagants
11 x Hormagaunts
5 x Gargoyles
6 x Raveners

Uncommon Broods
2 x Dacto-Exocrine
2 x Lyco-Exocrine
3 x Carnifex - Screamer Killers
3 x Haruspex
3 x Zoanthrope
3 x Mycetic Spores

Ork Waaagh! - 2500 points

Ardgutz' Mob
Big Warband
Warboss
+2 x Nobz
+2 x Big Gunz
+2 x Oddboyz (Soopa-Gunz)

Bludbasha's Mob
Big Warband
+1 x Extra Boy and Grot
+2 x Nobz

Crusha's Mob
Big Warband
+1 x Extra Boy and Grot
+2 x Nobz

Da Whirlin' Madboyz
'Uge Blitz Brigade
+12 Deth Koptas
+1 x Deth Kopta

Emugous Pete
Gargant (BTS Goal)
2 x Soopa-Gunz
1 x Mega-Choppa
5 Power Fields

Battlefield

A forested ridge ran the entire east to west length of the board through the southern half of the table. ?Two smaller hillocks were located in the NW and NE corners of the board.

Scattered Imperial ruins covered the northern half of the board with two open areas to the east and west of a central ruined temple.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Setup

Objectives

Orks chose the northern side of the battlefield with its many Imperial ruins and placed Blitzkrieg about 30cm in from the eastern tabe edge. ?Tyranid placed Blitz was plaved slightly east of centre. ?Objectives on the Ork side we placed widely apart, one 45cm forward of the Ork blitz and slightly toward the table middle and the other 45cm in and hugging the western table edge, both out in the open, but near ruins. ?Tyranid side objectives were placed at opposite ends of the ridge, near the table edge and about 20cm from the front edge of the Tyranid deployment zone, both near woods, but out in the open.

Garrisons

Tyranids kept the Lictor unit and one Synapse Node off-board and 5 Gargoyles in the Spawn Pool.

Orks garrisoned Ardgutz' Mob in ruins near forward of their western objective, almost reaching the table center. ?Bludbasha's Mob was centrally garrisoned, in ruins. ?While Crusha's Mob was garrison forward of the Blitzkrieg, also in ruins.

The Greater Synapse Node was garrisoned slightly forward of the Blitz and its brood of 2 Lyco-Exocrine, 2 Carnifex, 1 Haurspex, and Hive Tyrant 2 were garrisoned ever further forward into some forest.

Warrior Brood 2 garrisoned into some forest just east of the western objective with a massive brood of 4 Hormagaunts, 3 Raveners, 3 Termagants, and 2 Zoanthropes.

Deployment

Emungous Pete and Da Whirling Madboyz were deployed centrally at the forward edge of the deployment zone.

The Expectorator was centrally placed along with Warrior Brood 1 and its accompanying brood of 9 Termagants, 7 Hormagaunts, and 1 Zoanthrope, which were stretched out in a rough line across the rear slope of the rigde.

Hive Tyrant 1 was deployed about 30cm from the eastern table edge with 3 Raveners (I kind of lost track of what I was deploying and in the end realized I had no AVs left to go with the Tyrant!)