Login |  Register |  FAQ

Sample Tyranid Lists?

Post subject: Sample Tyranid Lists?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I came apon a massive collection of Tyranids. Building 3k points is easy, I just dont want my first game as them to go horrible because I am so used to marine lists. Here is my current list, not sure if its how you should build them or not...Any help would be great!

Incompertus, 2985 POINTS
Hive Fleet Onachus Tyranids (NetEA v10.2.1 *APPROVED*)
==================================================

TYRANID SWARM (S) [200]
6 Hormagants, Hive Tyrant

TYRANID SWARM (S) [200]

TYRANID SWARM (S) [200]

NEXUS SWARM [550]
1 Dominatrix, 8 Biovore

EXOCRINE SWARM (M) [325]
6 Exocrine

DACTYLIS SWARM (M) [575]
6 Dactylis

HIERODULE BIO-TITAN (745.M41) [350]

TRYGON SWARM [585]
5 Trygon, 6 Raveners

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sample Tyranid Lists?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:22 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The swarms do best as combined arms formations, un-upgraded they tend to get kicked around. 300-350 points has been the sweet spot here. Stuff like this:

Code:
TYRANID SWARM (S) [350]
Two Tyranid Warriors, 4 Termagants, 2 Hormagants, 3 Carnifex

TYRANID SWARM (S) [400]
Two Tyranid Warriors, 4 Termagants, 2 Hormagants, 4 Malefactor

TYRANID SWARM (S) [275]
Two Tyranid Warriors, 4 Termagants, 2 Hormagants, 3 Zoanthrope (745.M41)

Keeping your activation count high (3-4 per 1000 points) is how I lean as well. With your SR being so low, you have to assume you'll loose the roll each turn. You need to have 4+ assaults cued up on turn 2 and 3 to help mediate that. So I usually take a few deep strikers to help keep the pressure up:

Code:
LICTOR SWARM [200]
4 Lictor

TRYGON SWARM [300]
4 Trygon

To keep Swarms alive while they close to engage range, you'll also need some shooting. These are some of my favorites:

Code:
EXOCRINE SWARM (M) [325]
6 Exocrine

DACTYLIS SWARM (S) [400]
4 Dactylis

BIOVORE SWARM (S) [225]
8 Biovore

After that, spice it with stuff you want to try. Harridans give you excellent manoeuvrability late in the game if you can keep them alive. The bio-titans are great at assaults and support. The Dom is the same as well, plus throws out good shooting as she closes. Genestealeres will protect you from deep strikers and are excellent one shot assault formation.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wouldn't consider myself an experienced Tyranid player by any stretch, but one issue I know of is that you've made all of your Synapse creatures able to be 'sniped'. The Hive Tyrant is an Armoured Vehicle- it can be picked out from the Hormagaunt Infantry. The Dominatrix is a War Engine- it can be picked out from the Biovores. Most players will use this to wipe out your synapse, putting your list in a lot of trouble (even with relatively little model loss).

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have startet building my swarms with one tyrant (armored vehicle) and one warrior (inf).

It makes it more difficult for your opponent, to take out your synapse in one activation - especially if you can keep them more than one template apart and still "bubble wrap" them.

Having 3 synapse to a swarm also means you get to round up to 2 in those situations where spawning is reduced to half.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your swarms have only hormagaunts which makes them very susceptible to being assaulted by an opposing formation that stays at FF range. I would suggest taking a mix of hormagaunts and termagants. Or at least don't make all swarms gaunts only.

I personally prefer more gants than gaunts due to how epics rules favour FF over CC.

Post subject: Sample Tyranid Lists?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As Stoiss says the extra warrior stand can make a big difference. I sometimes go 50/50 with swarms with a Hive Tyrant as well. If you set it up right you can line up some really overwhelming engagements with the command ability. Add a a few termagants to your swarms and let the hormagaunts infiltrate forward and conga back to the rest of the swarm to maintain coherency.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After some years of paused activity for E:A: I finally found my tyras again and try to get them back into playable style.

I checked both lists (netEA and NetUK) and have to say...lists changed a lot the past years. :)

I also totally miss the "hordish" feeling in all you list proposals in the thread. Does a list based on big swarms of gaunts perform so badly? (NetEA has additionally the problem with 1:1 Synapse-Independent. I never got this working in 3k with medium or large swarms.)