Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tyranid 2014 Playtest Proposals

Post subject: Re: Tyranid 2014 Playtest Proposals
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:32 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yep, you can only spawn brood units that you've lost though. Ie, your army never grows bigger than it starts.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah that's clearer. What I meant was that a single formation may go beyond it's starting number.

By the way Dave do you have any thoughts about when this playtest version will be approved? I've played the approved list a few times now including a tournament.

I really like the raveners, but I believe the proposed lowered cost is a step in the right direction. They're not worth almost twice a hormagaunt unit. Taking away the restriction on what formation may spawn what will help both raveners and gargoyles make an appearence. It's not allways that you get to spawn these units back otherwise.

Still feel like the ignoring -2 to rally when broken feels a bit like cheating. Not necessarily over powered. Just feels unfair towards my opponents. A suggestion for something to playtest would be to change it to "only suffers a -1 modifier for being broken."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:15 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

No plans to approve it without some more playtests. We've gotten a few games in locally, but most of the dev efforts this past year have gone towards the Knights.

Once people start to realize the auto-rally you'll start to see them putting formations within 30cm of the broken synapse. While it's a danger zone, you'll most likely be going first against them and should be able to break 1-2 activations again before they activate while moving out of harms way.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I plan to test this army out on Friday.

I'd like to know the idea behind the army. Trying to put a force together, all I'm seeing is negatives.
The force has next-to-no AA protection, and what it does is expensive (Dominatrix), short-ranged, slow (Zoanthropes) and has very poor to-hit rolls.
The army lacks good ranged firepower- save for one gun on the Dominatrix. The only exceptions to this seem overpriced to me- Dactylis, although very tough artillery, can be easily neutralised by enemy air assets. Biovores are light vehicles with next to no armour- even in cover I expect them to die horribly and be quickly suppressed. The bio-titans have a decent long-range option, but that's one gun on expensive models.
The army clearly relies on assaults- but fire fight values are pretty low, and close combat is easily avoided by many (skimmer screens are common in my experience). The gaunts then die in droves and, I expect, make it hard to win a combat- and even if you do win, I expect total annihilation of the enemy to be rare.

There are two common lists my opponent takes, that I can expect to face on Friday. One is Blood Angels- usually with three lots of thunderbolts, a thunderhawk, stormravens, lascannon predators and Sanguinary Guard. With the combination of speed, him being able to choose his assaults (+4 to the initiative roll plus air assaulting), his excellent values in an engagement, and Fearless/TSKNF (Sang Guard are fearless) I am struggling to see how I can beat his force down. Many of my swarms will be tough blobs, but they'll lose their critical units and be pretty ineffectual.

His other favoured force is an all-plasma titan army. It only fires every second turn, but it'll wipe out all War Engines with no problem, and can easily stay at range to win on points.

I don't expect to be tabled- I can see that my army will be tough, thanks to re-spawning- but I also don't see a good way to win vs either of these forces.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

if he plays an all plasma AMTL army he is a dick... :-)

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In general, "the" trick (if there's only one) is to use garrison, teleport, and tunneling to get your opponent in a very difficult position on turn 2 (or 3). In other words, give your opponent more assaults than he can handle even after winning strategy and retaining. Genestealers, lictors, and trygons can do a lot of heavy lifting in this regard. You have to accept that some of these are going to be sacrificed (because 1-3 might be toast by the time you activate depending on skill and placement on the board), and have equally good alternatives waiting in the wings. Genestealers and lictors just got schwacked? No worries, there's 2-3 big assault swarms that the enemy wasn't able to touch... You have to use cover, prep assaults with BMs and support, etc.

As for ranged firepower, don't underestimate the resilience of the dactylis, and the disrupt ability on those and the biovores. Additionally, you have exocrines. The zoanthropes are there mostly to make it difficult for air to return (because of BMs). Maybe this stuff doesn't get many shots off, but in that case, your opponent has most likely allowed your assault swarms to move up unmolested.

This takes practice to accomplish successfully though. Build high-activation count armies, otherwise a shooty army will take the 'nids apart piecemeal.

EDIT: 1000 posts, yay!! Ugh, and it was on a 'nid thread. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:30 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'll echo those comments. The AA's weak on purpose. Have the swarms stay in support range of one another but not intermingled. Protect your expensive independents with swarms and cheap independents and stick to cover when you can. If you loose something to an air assault try to take out the offending formation.

Otherwise, double up to cover. Keep the FF bugs in the front/outside and AA and CC bugs in the back/inside. Prepare to loose strategy by having at least 4 assaults ready to go turn 2. Prep and support your assaults, and use the synapse swarms when you can. Not because you get to swarm some back, but because lost gaunts cause no BMs.

If you break, try to get outside of 30cm for the easier/auto rally and swarm-back. After that, use that swarm to grab objectives and support.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:25 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I brought these up for a vote the other week. Here's what passed:

• Remove Nexus Swarm, make Dom a 0-1 upgrade per army to a Hive Tyrant for +225 points.
  • Add a 1/4 WE section to the army listing, moving Harridan, Bio-Titan and Trygon swarms to it.
  • Remove SC and Synapse(3) from Dom, give it Commander and Leader, and Synapse (2)
  • Add 0-1 Symbiote upgrade per army upgrade to Dom or Hive Tyrants for +50 points. It has Supreme Commander and Synapse (+1).

They've been incorporated into the TP:

http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/army-l ... ranid.html
http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/pdfs/netea-tyranid.pdf

I'll put out a 2016 playtest changes in a bit.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice :)

You need a hand with the Armyforge files?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'm good thanks. I'll try to get to it next week,

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any news on the Armyforge update? The offer to help still stands, if you're busy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:07 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyuss has the updated files, Adam needs to upload them though.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

did I do this yet?

I will get on it tomorrow

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I will get on it tomorrow

And there was much rejoicing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next