Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tyranid 2014 Playtest Proposals

Post subject: Re: Tyranid 2014 Playtest Proposals
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We will give these a try and hopefully post some results. Thanks

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Alf O'Mega wrote:
If it was me and I knew I'd be facing nids it would be hard to leave out some deathstrikes to just take out the Dominatrix on turn one.

Careful with tailoring lists like that, it doesn't exactly make for a fair playtest. Illustrating how to dismantle a list when you have unit X, Y and Z isn't as useful as showing that a nid list isn't overpowered against an opponent with a well rounded list.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I appreciate what you're saying but knowing the force you're facing is fairly standard outside of tournament play. Even then it's hard to say deathstrikes aren't a solid choice when similarly equipped spacecraft aren't an option...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Playtest game, vs Black Legion:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=27259

Thoughts:

I like the new structure. Simpler, and the Dominatrix formation looks much better on the table.

I'm looking forward to trying some more offbeat builds that are now possible - eg, two Dominatrixes and two Hierodules in the same list, or a WE-less swarm with a Hive Tyrant SC.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just want to make sure since I've been told Nids are my next army once I'm done with my Iron Warriors but you can only swarm models that have died right? You can't actually get above the number of bases you start the game with? Just making sure.

Oh, and looking at the approved list and this one I do prefer this. If only because I felt the other one restricted my WE way to much. Especially since I love Harridans and Trygons.

I do have a bit of a gripe that the units that aren't WE's count toward the WE 1/4. So I can't be fluffy and take gargoyles or raveners without hurting my WE limit.

Iron Warriors (Currently Building)
Daemons

My Commission Website: http://hulksmashstudios.webs.com
My Languishing Blog that will soon host some Epic stuff: http://hulksmash-homeplace.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hulksmash wrote:
Just want to make sure since I've been told Nids are my next army once I'm done with my Iron Warriors but you can only swarm models that have died right? You can't actually get above the number of bases you start the game with? Just making sure.

True.

Hulksmash wrote:
Oh, and looking at the approved list and this one I do prefer this. If only because I felt the other one restricted my WE way to much. Especially since I love Harridans and Trygons.

I do have a bit of a gripe that the units that aren't WE's count toward the WE 1/4. So I can't be fluffy and take gargoyles or raveners without hurting my WE limit.

It's easier to calculate, though. And you can get additional Trygons and a couple of Doms in the core swarms.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree it's easier to calculate. But I feel it pushes people away from taking the additional units in the WE formations. And when combined with the reduction to 1/4 makes it worse. Granted, I understand the reason for it. It's to avoid Harridan spam.

But why not take a page out of the IG list and have a minimum size 3 Harridan unit for 400pts-425pts as an independent formation and leave a single in the WE Formation? Just some thoughts.

Daemons

My Languishing Blog that will soon host some Epic stuff: http://hulksmash-homeplace.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally, I find the S/M/L structure a bit redundant; for Orks, it makes sense, since they have rules that actively encourages large formations. For Tyranids, the linear cost scaling for Harridans does not make sense (and the 25 pts discount for larger swarms is a bit on the low side, too, an activation is worth at least 50 points)

To avoid Harridan spam, I'd just make the smallest formation 1 Harridan at 200 points, with the option to add 1-2 Harridans at 100 pts each, and/or Gargoyles at 20 points each. Small formations should always carry a premium charge, the activation has value in itself. If 200 points is too much for a single Harridan, then give it 2 or even 4 gargoyles for free.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SpeakerToMachines wrote:
Personally, I find the S/M/L structure a bit redundant; for Orks, it makes sense, since they have rules that actively encourages large formations. For Tyranids, the linear cost scaling for Harridans does not make sense (and the 25 pts discount for larger swarms is a bit on the low side, too, an activation is worth at least 50 points)

To avoid Harridan spam, I'd just make the smallest formation 1 Harridan at 200 points, with the option to add 1-2 Harridans at 100 pts each, and/or Gargoyles at 20 points each. Small formations should always carry a premium charge, the activation has value in itself. If 200 points is too much for a single Harridan, then give it 2 or even 4 gargoyles for free.

This is something I could get behind at least for Trygons & Harridans. The S/M/L structure in this list doesn't have any kind of break for larger formations outside of the main one. And even that isn't a huge discount (20ish pts vs. an Ork one of 70pts). It would also allow us to move the Phants back to a "Titan" section with a 1/4 cap.

Daemons

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think Epic UK has solved this issue nicely with adding 0-4 Gargoyles to each Harridan. This costs effectively the same as a normal Harridan and 4 Gargoyles would. So the selection is

Code:
One Harridan and 0-4 Gargoyles @ 230 Points; may add up to 2 Harridans for 150 Points and any number of Gargoyles for 20 Points each.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I don't get the entry with the Symbiote character. It says if I add it to the Dominatrix, the unit looses Supreme Commander. But then I won't have a SC, because the Domi doesn't have it any more.

clarify please! :)

cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The Symbiote character adds Supreme Commander. If added to the Dom, on a critical hit roll of 6 the Dom looses the SC ability.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there!

what I really would like to see is more love for the Gargoyles.
Currently (and I haven't taken a look at the list for half a year ;)) they can only be used with Harridans, or as an expensive addon to the regular swarms.

I'd like to see an entry for the basic swarm that goes like this:

(small swarm)
consists of 6 bases of either gaunts for X points or gargoyles for Y points, or any mixture.

Or make them a seperate scout swarm like the other things, the claw melee beasts (forgot the name); since they are swarm creatures just give them the drawbacks from being w/o a hive creature.

just something. I have 12 bases painted that i never use :(

cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:07 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'd see little point in taking Termagants if Gargoyles came with a Swarm. Have you tried them with Harridans?

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

so, had a little game (3000 pts.) the other day vs. Orks. Was a really tough one, with the Orks fielding 3 Bigmobs and a Gargant.

I had mostly small swarms, 2 Harridans plus Gargoyles, 2x5 Biovores, 2x4 Lictors and one small swarm with the SC Dominatrix.
12 activations in total.

some things:

1) if I read it right in the proposals I could've swarmed killed Gargoyles into the standard synapse swarms, right? I like that idea!

2) swarming in general: while I am still not happy with the general low number of bases you get back in the end phase (I play an assault style army and are usually within 30 cm of the enemy, so I get one base most of the time), what I really think is that there should be a bonus to swarming when conducting a Marshal action.
I was thinking about doing a Marshal once or twice, with one swarm being in a tight spot, but it simply wasn't a tactical option, as I would've gotten only 1 base back.
So I'd like to see perhaps something that you can't move or shoot, but you can use your dice roll to swarm back bases (in addition to the fixed numbers). Similar to Void Shields really, but just w/o moving or shooting.

3) clarification on the WE limits: does the formation count, or just the WE? Wasn't sure how to calculate this.

cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next