Login |  Register |  FAQ

EUK Tyranids

Post subject: Re: EUK Tyranids
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

DOMINATRIX SWARM [625]
1 Dominatrix, Hierodule

That BTS is meat on the table for a lot of armies. Generally the better EUK nid BTS are just big blobs of gants w/ 4 warriors. They are a pain to kill down to the last unit. That BTS w/ the 2 WEs is not too troublesome. The hierodule is only 5+ RA IIRC so easy kill for MW and then the dominatrix can be easily clipped. Heck, if you brought a spaceship w/ a pinpoint attack you can go straightaway for the dominatrix! Remember you can target any WE with a pin-point.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:54 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I've played about a dozen games with the EpicUK list (between 1000 and 3000pts).
I really quite enjoy it. I'd like the med/large beasties to be a bit more resilient but it's not a deal breaker for me.

I've almost always faced corner deployment. I believe the win/loss ratio is about 50/50. In games where I was able to box the enemy in it was usually a bug win.

Here's the list I like to use:
Quote:
BIG ASSAULT SWARM [530] (BTS)
4 Tyranid Warrior, 9 Termagant, 3 Carnifex, 9 Hormaguant

BIG ASSAULT SWARM [350]
4 Tyranid Warrior, 10 Termagant, 6 Hormaguant

BIG ASSAULT SWARM [350]
4 Tyranid Warrior, 10 Termagant, 6 Hormaguant

DOMINATRIX SWARM [500]
1 Dominatrix

GENESTEALER SWARM [150]
6 Genestealer

GENESTEALER SWARM [150]
6 Genestealer

LICTOR SWARM [200]
4 Lictor

LICTOR SWARM [200]
4 Lictor

SUBTERRANEAN SWARM [280]
1 Trygon and 3 Raveners

SUBTERRANEAN SWARM [280]
1 Trygon and 3 Raveners

The Genestealers garrison as close to the enemy as possible. The Lictors and Subteranean Swarms teleport in at the start of the game in the enemies face. Between the Teleporters and the Genestealers that can keep the enemy busy for at least the first turn (and that rare time that the bugs go first is GOLD). This buys time for the Big Assault Swarms to march forward and encircle the enemy.

It's not a fullproof plan but it does seem to play like a Nid army should to me.

I've put my Nids on the back-burner for a while as I focus on the Iron Warriors so no new playtests from me for a bit though.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A mistake people do against me sometimes is to sit back and shoot the nids. It's very dramatic and like the books, but they end up giving the nids too much of the middle of the board, then 3rd turn rolls around, the nids hold all the middle objectives and they've lost the game (often losing less than 10% of their forces). In the Clapham tournament my 1st opp used Guard and put all his super heavies on overwatch for the first 2 turns pretty much. By the 3rd turn the warhounds had to do the heavy lifting of securing objectives but by then they were easy prey for the harridans (35cm range, start outnumbering warhounds for assault, gargs don't count for resolution, much better in close).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ohh, hey, an Epic UK Tyranid topic, something for me!

I played Tyranids at UK tournaments just before and after new year and did fairly well overall. An average list I used to use is something like this:

Big Assault Swarm (4 Warriors, 16 Termagants)
Assault Swarm (2 Warriors, 8 Termagants)
Assault Swarm (2 Warriors, 2 Termagants, 6 Hormagaunts)
Genestealer Swarm (6 Genestealers)
Harrassment Swarm (1 Harridan, 4 Gargoyles)
Harrassment Swarm (1 Harridan, 4 Gargoyles)
Subterranean Swarm ( 1 Trygon, 5 Raveners)

You might notice I like assault swarms.....

General tactics were to march everything forward first turn then assault second turn. If there's nothing to assault then the enemy's probably tried sitting back on his baseline shooting you and so has conceded 3/4 of the table to you.

Biggest problem with a list like this is speed and vulnerability to blast markers; this number of assault swarms take up a LOT of space and can't all fit in terrain for cover saves.

Things I intend to try (mainly cribbed from other UK tourney Tyranid players):

nest swarms with 3 biovores garrisoned off the two objectives. cheap 3bp disrupt formation that gets round it's short range by starting up the table and has a 4+RA DC3 war engine contesting an objective.

pairing up assault swarms with brute swarms. Start with the infantry touching the AVs (tyranids give no darned about intermingling) and use the AVs as mobile cover. Carnifexs would probably be best for this with their better save and 20cm move matching the infantry. It would also lessen the calls of cheesy list bringing 130+ infantry entails.

In general, yes, I'd say the AVs and War Engines are weaker than the infantry in the current list, but I think that's more the AVs/WEs being overcosted than the infantry being somehow super effective. Without transports you're struggling to get enough infantry to the place you need them; especially if your opponent has thought about objective placement properly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've used hierodules in assault swarms to provide said cover modifier - a single hierodule can cover 6 infantry stands!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Carlos, I'm curious about how you thought our game went at clapham (your 2nd one vs Biel Tan). I was pretty clueless about the best way to fight nids so just went with:
Try to kill harridans
Try to kill activations
Try to keep you busy in the corner of the board on your baseline
Rely on zippy skimmers to contest TSNP and objectives

I wasnt overly scared about assaults, just wanted to have enough formations in the right places to be able to do them on my terms. But the truth is, whilst nids may have a limited set of victory conditions they should aim for, at the start of the game I wasn't really confident about getting any myself. I figured I was probably not going to be able to actually destroy many formations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt, it could potentially have been a very boring game which you made interesting with your daring flank attack! Overall your strategy and plan was sound which is a testament to your overall skills as an E:A player since you had no clue what the nids could do. The only missing part of your plan was of course to save your aspects to break nid fms. Doing this not just by assaulting themselves but also by moving afterwards to a support position. Nids are tough, but even they can't handle losing 2 important fms before they activate a single fm (big SR and mobility difference).

Otherwise Eldar are a nightmare matchup for any kind of nids, really. One of the preferred tactics is to bait enemies into assault less important nid fms and then pounce on them after they win. But of course a well played Eldar army can get around that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK thanks for the feedback. I feel like you played it well, dealing with the threat, pushing up and trying to save the harridans. Apart from the bit where I had to remind you jetbikes were skimmers, so you probably didn't want to engage them with your stealers :)

Indeed it was fun to run the aspects up the flank, even if it ended badly :) I was confident I would win the inevitable defensive assault, until you reminded me about infiltrators ignoring ZoC... d'oh! Totally turned the engagement on its head. Those poor fire dragons!

For some reason I did something similar at FSA vs LatD - raced a Void Spinner up on the first activation, clipped a big intermingled clump including the BTS with warp spiders, forgetting one of the formations was on overwatch... *sigh*.