Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Genestealer Cult List v1.0

Post subject: Re: Genestealer Cult List v1.0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It could be anything along those lines really, it's a free reign kinda thing rather than set in stone.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ideas for the next version:

Cult Bikers?- pretty much solely for harrying and objective grabbing.

Cult Flak Trucks ?- half a hydra turret on a civilian vehicle.

Suicide Bombers? - They have occasionally featured in the background?

Initiates? - Utterly crap troops with Expendable?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Salvaged Russes, transport 2, 15cm move and lots of stubbers. Would be a different kind of genestealer carrier.

I've toyed with ideas for suicide bombers. Expendable does the trick.

Cult buggies (maybe mixed with bikers) ;D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the way this list is taking, good that you made the hybrids into a core formation and toned them down a little bit :)
I would have put the superheavies into the Infiltrated assets. not sure if they need to be able to transport but why not?
Really like the idea of having Mutant bombs (made some for my own alternative list see below)
Quote:
Mutant Bomb INF 15cm - 4+ - Claws (base contact) (Assault Weapons) and Explosive belt (base contact) 1 BP, MW, Single Shot, First Strike Remove all the units after they have used the Explosive belts. The first template must be centered over one of the Mutant Bombs. Infiltrator.

Also why not consider the Cadians battle psyker as an upgrade?

The civilian vehicles is too good, good move, same save as a Chimera and a weapon for 12,5p (I would take away the weapon for the transports and move the save up to 6+ or nothing, the Buggies could keep the weapon option.

I like mixed units, buggies and bikes, brothers and sentinels etc.

The flak truck is also a good alternative. I definitely could see this army as a mix of aliens and a modern "third world" army :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup. Civi vehicles should be fast and made of paper.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Civvie vehicles are light vehicles, hence they are made of paper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:
Civvie vehicles are light vehicles, hence they are made of paper.

True, but I still think they are still too good. Sentinels have LV and 6+ (fluffwise they have some armour and would be a little bit harder to see/hit then a truck?) or if you want to keep them as they are they might need a simple points adjustment.

fredmans wrote:
Why didn't I think of that, will be a lot simpler to use then my suggestion :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The civilian vehicle stats are almost identical to the Lost and the Damned Land Transporter, except that in LatD they're slightly cheaper at 10 points, and have a slightly different weapon (AP6+/AT6+ vs AP5+)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

fredmans wrote:

Care to give me an example profile?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Insurgency list has a few of these too; Fanatics and Bombmen with Suicide attacks, and civilian vehicles made from cardboard (LV with no armour, or 6+ armour). They are even cheaper than the LatD transporters.

Expendable works a bit different from Suicide; A unit with a Suicide attack is only "expendable" at the moment it uses its attack. Also, Expendable suicide bombers still need a new special rule to cover their removal when they attack, and how that removal affects the rest of the unit, and the combat they are involved in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I'll most likely find a way to put suicide bombers in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SpeakerToMachines has a point. I'd stick Expendable to the Attack notes, causing the unit to cause blast markers in every circumstance except when it is making its suicide attack. If you were part of an attack that relied upon them and they were killed before they made contact, it would be demoralizing.

I would also support the idea of Suicide vehicles. Same rule.

I have tried to locate my Genestealer Cult project, but I wrote it on a different computer and saved it to SOME DVD.

I am reading your army list and will post ideas tonight.

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, now I have painted a small part of a Cult and gave this list some time. I have some questions and suggestions, see below in no special order :)
Hope I'm not sounding to harsh, just wanting to know in what direction this list is moving before I invest in more toy soldiers ;)

1. A Brood Brother formation can take a Broodlord and a Magus to help the Demagogue keep the brothers in place, is this intentional? Not sure it is a bad thing but...
2. The Patriarch weakness (all formations takes a blast marker when destroyed) is a big drawback, is this reflected in the point cost? (The ork warlord is free and without drawback :))
3. Demagogue "Psychic Powers" and the Patriarch "Psychic Presence" looks very similar
4. You will see a lot of Genestealers riding pickups/chimeras/superheavies AND setting up as garrisons, this feels a little wierd?
5. Why do the Hybrids "only" have heavy bolters? In my mind they have taken the best equipment available from the IG, heavy weapons or perhaps plasma guns...
6. Brood Brothers have missile launchers all other IG have Autocannons, why? (also laspistols not lasguns) guessing the reversed FF and CC values represent this but I would like the Brood Brothers to be like ordinary IG just for simplicity (or like Whiteshield if you want them to be worse)
7. Why only 3 Lictors and why do they have a MW attack? I would love to see the Tyranid 3 + 1-3extra in this list instead
8. The superheavy, why not take some of the already existing types? Like the Stormlord if we want it to carry infantry? Also this army lack on the AT side so a Shadowsword would have been nice instead or in another slot :)
9. I miss the expendable suicidebombers and beastmen :)

Generally I think this army will have a tough time, the only way to deal with opponents is to engage them. It has a lot more AP then AT shots so against Titans or a tank company it will be tough... It feels like an IG army that is a little (or a lot) better in close combat but without any of the really good hard hitting stuff ( artillery, tanks, deathstrikes, vultures... )
If this army is supposed to be a hord army then perhaps we should look a little more at the Siegemaster list with trenches and artillery or if we want to be a little more aggressive look at the Cadians or Orks?
I would also suggest limiting the different upgrades to some of the formations to avoid some of the craziest combinations

That all for now...

/Uven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for taking a look at the list!

uvenlord wrote:
1. A Brood Brother formation can take a Broodlord and a Magus to help the Demagogue keep the brothers in place, is this intentional? Not sure it is a bad thing but...

Yup. The ready availability of Inspiring is pretty much the main way the cult can win engagements and hence battles. I know it looks a little weird, but it's intended.

uvenlord wrote:
2. The Patriarch weakness (all formations takes a blast marker when destroyed) is a big drawback, is this reflected in the point cost? (The ork warlord is free and without drawback :))

It's a big drawback, but the +1 to rally while he's alive is a huge benefit too. The ork warlord is not a good comparison really, they have little in common and free is not the usual way things are done. I'm happy with it for now, and I doubt you'll see many lists without him, even at the current points cost.

uvenlord wrote:
3. Demagogue "Psychic Powers" and the Patriarch "Psychic Presence" looks very similar

Yeah, they could have the same name really.

uvenlord wrote:
4. You will see a lot of Genestealers riding pickups/chimeras/superheavies AND setting up as garrisons, this feels a little wierd?

Yeah, it's an odd one. It probably does need a note to say that mounted genestealers can't garrison.

uvenlord wrote:
5. Why do the Hybrids "only" have heavy bolters? In my mind they have taken the best equipment available from the IG, heavy weapons or perhaps plasma guns...

They have the best equipment available to the cult, but that's not likely to be as good as that available to the IG. Plasma guns aren't really that good anyway.

uvenlord wrote:
6. Brood Brothers have missile launchers all other IG have Autocannons, why? (also laspistols not lasguns) guessing the reversed FF and CC values represent this but I would like the Brood Brothers to be like ordinary
IG just for simplicity (or like Whiteshield if you want them to be worse)

It's cosmetic, the stats are the same for MLs and ACs. In Necromunda etc Missile Launchers are a more readily available heavy weapon for gangs etc, autocannons are much more military. The CC and FF stat reversals are intentional; they're not purple IG, they're much less well trained and more likely to be armed with pistols and close combat weapons than lasguns. In all incarnations this has always been the case.

uvenlord wrote:
7. Why only 3 Lictors and why do they have a MW attack? I would love to see the Tyranid 3 + 1-3extra in this list instead.

I am not developing under the netEA umbrella, so the stats are different. There's no option to expand since they would be rare.

uvenlord wrote:
8. The superheavy, why not take some of the already existing types? Like the Stormlord if we want it to carry infantry? Also this army lack on the AT side so a Shadowsword would have been nice instead or in another slot :)

Because they're not guard. One of my primary aims with this list is to make them not just purple guard. Having said that, I'm not entirely happy with the superheavy; I might get rid of the transport capacity and upgun it a bit.

uvenlord wrote:
9. I miss the expendable suicidebombers and beastmen :)

I'm with you on the bombers...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had my first real game with the Cult yesterday. They were ripped to pieces by some Tau :) (Facing Tau might not be the best match. Lots of AP and skimmers...)

To me most of the units is to expensive compared to what you get. The hybrids and stealers is really good in close combat but they are quite easy to kill and unless you buy superheavies they will be half dead when they engage.
I am comparing them with Rough riders in efficiency but they cost almost twice as much....
Teleporting genestealers is a must and lots of cover is good.
I really like the Hybrid "infiltrate" thing, makes a good theme in the army.

So might try this some more but I really see the Cult as purple Guards. To me the more low-tech Necromunda style Cult is on the uprising and smaller in numbers (WH40k) but the full scale war Cult (epic)would have taken over most of a PDF so they would be purple IG with some flavor. But then it's just my opinion and I can always play my Cult as "counts as" (or do my own list) if I want to play my Purple Guards :)

Just out of curiosity why are you posting this list in the NetEA development forum if you do not develop this under their umbrella?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next