Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Xeno-Biostatistics] The Plan/What to Stat

Post subject: Re: [Xeno-Biostatistics] The Plan/What to Stat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BlackLegion wrote:
Then why took FW the Trygon concept but (according to you) dropped the Malefactor and Haruspex?

They did indeed drop the Malefactor & Haruspex.

Don't forget, the Malefactor was still a transport beastie at the time FW were first making their 40k 'nids, that certainly didn't get replicated by FW.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Yes. And GW did give It's Trygon back some kind of transport capacity (not literally but other critters can follow a Trygon through it's own burrowing tunnel).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Black legion you scoundrel ;)

I'm still amazed by the absolute desire of some people to have a perfectly matching list. I can understand that where units are similar they should have similar stats across lists but there's no need to be identical. For instance IG infantry - there are at least 3 different variations i can think of off the top of my head and I'm fairly sure there are 2 more but I would have to check.

Just have Onochus Zoanthrope and /insert newest hivefleet name/ Zoanthrope in the stat lines and everything is hunky dory :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KivArn wrote:
Just have Onochus Zoanthrope and /insert newest hivefleet name/ Zoanthrope in the stat lines and everything is hunky dory :)

Yep, that's the plan. The Zoanthrope and the Hierodules are the only units we've found so far where this'll be neccessary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can see all the different points of view and they are all pretty valid. My own perspective is in helping new players take up Epic. Speaking as someone who recently came back to Epic (but still knew about tac comms etc) it is hard enough as it is knowing which lists to use in general - they are all over the place, and there are so many of them from different people/organisations in so many varying states of completeness.

I was initially a bit concerned about the 2-list split option, as like Glyn I think it is an arbitrary split and like Dobbsy I actually don't think it's important to get hung up on what stats a unit used to have. But I think I am convinced by what you've said so far: if it is done right, the mere existence of one or more approved Tyranid lists is a huge improvement over the current situation, and it is not the end of the world if 40K players say "huh, what is Onachus?". I don't think it makes sense to use Behemoth as an "old models list" if it clearly has the newer style bugs in it. So long as there is a highly visible explanation of what the lists are for I think it'll be OK to have Hive Fleet Onachus (a made up Hive Fleet for old models) and Hive Fleet Whatever (presumably with some newer stuff). That probably means a Design Note at the beginning of the list in the supplement(s). The more units the lists share the better, so it's good you're planning for both from the start.

Unfortunately if there are lots of little differences from the Epic UK list (as there seem to be currently) I think that will be confusing for new players, but it seems that is a sore topic so I won't go there!

So anyway, good luck!